New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
Apr 16, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #481 of 759
You can’t fault Denafrips for this, there is no standard for i2s cables so every manufacturer is different. I applaud Denafrips for coming up with a solution and allowing a more robust programming feature than most manufacturers. Plus their customer service is 2nd to none.
We will have to disagree on that point. They could of easily mentioned it in their manual and gone more in depth into when to use the phase button. I do agree their solution to i2s connections was a good one.

Apr 16, 2022 at 4:57 PM Post #482 of 759
You can’t fault Denafrips for this, there is no standard for i2s cables so every manufacturer is different. I applaud Denafrips for coming up with a solution and allowing a more robust programming feature than most manufacturers. Plus their customer service is 2nd to none.

Thank you again for all your help! I would have completely missed the phase issue. I do really appreciate you looking into it. :)

Apr 16, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #483 of 759
We will have to disagree on that point. They could of easily mentioned it in their manual and gone more in depth into when to use the phase button. I do agree their solution to i2s connections was a good one.

You don’t use the phase button, you need to check for phase using test files, which you can find online or in Roon (just as you would for hi-res, L/R channel) after you program the pin out configuration. It’s not in the manual as Alvin has put together a video (which is helpful in explaining the whole process) in the link I provided earlier. IIRC this feature may have been implemented in a firmware update, so it may have not been addressed in the manually specifically.

TLDR you need to program your pin outs on your i2s cable to ensure you can play all formats of PCM & DSD and that your L & R channels are correct, AND that you are IN PHASE

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #484 of 759
Thanks
You don’t use the phase button, you need to check for phase using test files, which you can find online or in Roon (just as you would for hi-res, L/R channel) after you program the pin out configuration. It’s not in the manual as Alvin has put together a video (which is helpful in explaining the whole process) in the link I provided earlier. IIRC this feature may have been implemented in a firmware update, so it may have not been addressed in the manually specifically.

TLDR you need to program your pin outs on your i2s cable to ensure you can play all formats of PCM & DSD and that your L & R channels are correct, AND that you are IN PHASE
Thanks! :) I'll use the test files to make sure it is all correctly set up. I have never had this issue with my other DACs before. I'm sure this info will be really useful to others who have it set up incorrectly.

Apr 16, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #485 of 759
Thank

Thanks I'll try this. I really appreciate it! I will try this soon

When I hooked the Irish back up before I wrote this it damaged my hearing because of this after a few days of being back in my setup. I was not even listening at dangerous levels for extended periods. I have had tinnitus for 3 days after this and it's finally starting to die down. I took some NAC, Ginko biloba, magnesium and some zinc to help with any possible damage. Thank god it's starting to go away. Sometimes it's permanent for some. After 3 days of constant ringing I'm really angry and I'm sure that is apparent! I've never had this issue before and it really scares me. I'll wait a week before listening to my equipment so I don't possibly cause any more damage. This whole experience has taught me, that if your new device sounds harsh and wrong, you need to fix it or get it out the the chain ASAP! I will admit, I'm a little nervous to reconnect it.

The manual says nothing about phase in relation to i2s. These people really need to spend more than a few hours writing their manuals. Denafrips if you read this, check out RME's DAC manuals. That is how to write a proper manual for audio equipment. You should not have to find this out on some internet forum. Geeeez! :frowning2:
Alvin has a YouTube video on setting up the DDC in which he goes through how to check the phase.

Apr 17, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #487 of 759
I have seen comment that positive and negative phase are indistinguishable over headphones.

The only time I have seen it be an issue is with subwoffers. I did not really notice mush difference when I tried it when I got the DAC. Bass might have been ever so slightly better when the phase light was on.

I discovered I had an ear infection today and that is the cause of my severe tinnitus. The antibiotics are getting rid of it quickly. Thank god! I was worried I somehow damaged my hearing after putting it back into my system.

I'm hoping to try configuring my Iris in a few days after my ears calm down to stop the harshness I get with it.

Apr 17, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #488 of 759
The only time I have seen it be an issue is with subwoffers. I did not really notice mush difference when I tried it when I got the DAC. Bass might have been ever so slightly better when the phase light was on.

I discovered I had an ear infection today and that is the cause of my severe tinnitus. The antibiotics are getting rid of it quickly. Thank god! I was worried I somehow damaged my hearing after putting it back into my system.

I'm hoping to try configuring my Iris in a few days after my ears calm down to stop the harshness I get with it.
The issue is you need to configure your pinouts on your i2s cable, its not going to work properly out of the box without you doing this. Every manufacturer has a different pin out and you need to reprogram the Pontus to accommodate for the cable that is in your system. Your phase is most likely reversed on the pin outs (music is playing out of phase instead of in phase) and this can be fixed by programming the correct pin out setting (the phase button on the front has no bearing on this). If this is too troublesome or you don't understand what I am talking about after watching the video that Alvin made and the link explaining everything I posted above then just use an AES or SPDIF cable, you don't need to program those. You didn't damage your hearing unless you were listening to something at mind numbing levels, its also not a defect in the audio equipment that caused any of this.

Apr 17, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #489 of 759
The issue is you need to configure your pinouts on your i2s cable, its not going to work properly out of the box without you doing this. Every manufacturer has a different pin out and you need to reprogram the Pontus to accommodate for the cable that is in your system. Your phase is most likely reversed on the pin outs (music is playing out of phase instead of in phase) and this can be fixed by programming the correct pin out setting (the phase button on the front has no bearing on this). If this is too troublesome or you don't understand what I am talking about after watching the video that Alvin made and the link explaining everything I posted above then just use an AES or SPDIF cable, you don't need to program those. You didn't damage your hearing unless you were listening to something at mind numbing levels, its also not a defect in the audio equipment that caused any of this.
I understand this and the concept of phase. I have built 2 amplifiers.

Apr 17, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #490 of 759

There would be no phase change on the S/PDIF coax or AES connection. Quicker to test. However tests should not stop on that. You also need to test for the absolute phase. Effect of not maintaining absolute phase is less obstructing to our ears, but making it right will improve SQ and also can reduce fatigue over extended sessions.

Apr 17, 2022 at 12:52 AM Post #491 of 759
There would be no phase change on the S/PDIF coax or AES connection. Quicker to test. However tests should not stop on that. You also need to test for the absolute phase. Effect of not maintaining absolute phase is less obstructing to our ears, but making it right will improve SQ and also can reduce fatigue over extended sessions.
I agree, fixing this should stop the fatigue. I'll reconfigure the Iris and test. I have to wait for my ears to heal from this infection so I can hear more clearly.

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:52 AM Post #492 of 759

I did the correct configuration and tests. Even with my fried hearing from my infection, I can tell everything is correct! Thank you again for all your help. My dumb ass had it setup incorrectly and that explains the harshness issues.

You are all the best! This was a weird problem for me. Because the device seemed to work fine despite being set up incorrectly by myself.

Apr 17, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #493 of 759
As @sajunky suggested, AES/EBU or SPDIF is quicker to test & compare the sound correctness.
I2S is a little more complex.

@BzzzzzT, glad to hear you've set up the Iris / Pontus II DAC i2s pinout correctly :)

p/s: Thanks for the help @shwnwllms!

May 14, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #494 of 759
Hi guys, I have to point out that fantastic person Alvin from Denafrips who as soon as he learned of my problem with the DDC Iris which had failed about four months ago, then sent to the Denafrips service center and lost at Chinese customs, sent me an IRIS replacement.
Kudos to Denafrips and Alvin, very serious and reliable company and people with excellent products.
Thank you so much Alvin.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #495 of 759
Hi guys, I have to point out that fantastic person Alvin from Denafrips who as soon as he learned of my problem with the DDC Iris which had failed about four months ago, then sent to the Denafrips service center and lost at Chinese customs, sent me an IRIS replacement.
Kudos to Denafrips and Alvin, very serious and reliable company and people with excellent products.
Thank you so much Alvin.

Hey man, you're very welcome :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back