New DAP: iBasso DX240 vs 300 vs Shanling M6 Ultra vs Fiio M15S
May 9, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #16 of 49
Should see if you can try the amp8mk2S when you get a chance. Just nice to know that DAPs are getting this good in general.
Of the recent daps I've demoed

The ranking goes SP2000T>M17 DC mode>M17s=>M15s>SP3000=DX240>M6U>WM1Z-M2=Cayin N7=M11 Plus ESS>M11s

Theres something about the 4499EX that sounds off, like it sounds blunted and lacks authority.

M15s definitely punches above it's weight.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #19 of 49
I think the DX240 wins out for me based on everything I've read
I've heard the DX150 before and I did not like it. It was warm-dark and lacked detail.

Going to the DX150 to the DX240 would be QUITE the jump. Tonally and technically speaking.

Tonally the most similar modern dap would be the ZX707 but I strongly recommend against getting that. The N3 Pro in Triode Tube mode would be a better choice.

Jul 3, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #20 of 49
use now meze rai penta IEMs with AK 25 sr ii , want upgrade to bigger and better res screen, faster and better wifi ,bluetooth ,im sound like more neutral, analytical too, what best value/sound quality and software , with lower heat of body vs dx240 , m6u, m15s ?

Oct 6, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #21 of 49
I have the M15s on loan right now.

From an extensive demo the M15s won out due to better bass extension, texture and control. The M6U had a softer less tight bass. Worse than my DX160 in fact.

The rest of the spectrum is very much a difference in tonality. The M15s is Reference-neutral with a hint of warmth whereas the M6U is very much warm-neutral. I liked the sharper transients and crisper tonality of the M15s.

Stay away from the Desktop Mode on the M15s though, it crushes the dynamics and soundstage.

Will be comparing the DX240 and M15s soon.
Just out of curiousity, have you tried desktop mode with a good psu? Like sbooster, allo shanti, ifi elite etc… ? Because you mentioned crushing dynamics?

Oct 6, 2023 at 4:12 AM Post #22 of 49
use now meze rai penta IEMs with AK 25 sr ii , want upgrade to bigger and better res screen, faster and better wifi ,bluetooth ,im sound like more neutral, analytical too, what best value/sound quality and software , with lower heat of body vs dx240 , m6u, m15s ?
Maybe the Hiby R6 Pro ii at that price range - but most DAPs do heat up, especially Class A ones if you want more analytical/ detailed hardware.

Oct 6, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #23 of 49
Did anyone compare the Hiby r6 pro II with the M15S, if so which sounded better in sound quality (ignoring the power difference). and in what way do they differ in sound signature?

I was wondering if it really mathers the M15S don't use a dual dac solution, while almost every high and brand from desktop to daps uses dual dac chips?

Oct 13, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #24 of 49
Thanks but I'm Asia haha.

And yeah, I managed to do an extensive comparison between the DX240 and M15s already.

In short the M15s is more dynamic and lively while the DX240 sticks close to reference as much as possible.

Bass wise the DX240 is more controlled and tighter while the M15s has a relatively looser and boomier bass which sacrifices detail. With the DX240 you get layers, with the M15s you get a single note if that makes sense. In most songs this may not be a factor but in songs with prominent bass melody it has a more congested feel to it.

Mids wise the M15s feels more forward while the DX240 sounds dryer. Detail levels are excellent on both but the M15s sounds livelier. I want to say that the M15s is almost coloured in a way compared to the DX240. But it's done more tastefully than say on the Cayin N7.

Treble wise, rather than saying the M15s is less extended, it would be better to say that the M15s has a softer presentation while the DX240 presents it as dead neutral. This difference is exacerbated if you turn on level 1 and level 2 second harmonic distortion control. So if you have something with harsher treble the M15s reels it back in, but on already rolled off gear the DX240 is better.

Soundstage wise the DX240 has a clearer but smaller soundstage but the M15s is just larger overall. Both are on par with instrument placement and holography.

Dynamics wise it's no contest, the M15s is much better than the comparatively flat DX240. Notes have more punch and weight compared to the dryer presentation on the DX240.

With the exception of the looser bass I would prefer the M15s over the DX240.

Overall I'd say the DX240 sounds like an upgraded and refined DX160 whereas the M15s brings better dynamics, wider soundstage and a livelier performance overall.

There is a caveat with the M15s that can be absolutely dealbreaking though. The heat.

img_20230509_000227.png

Why did FiiO think this is ok? This can burn you if you keep your player in your pocket.

And I'm not even using its leather case so it's already a best case scenario. No wonder the M15s needed a 6k mah battery to match the battery life of the DX240. I'm just playing plain old 44.1khz flac by the way, I've yet to see the full extent of how bad it gets with higher resolution tracks.
It the heat really that bad?… I am trying to find a dap that is better than my xdsd gryphon, because having everything seperate start to get annoying.

But it’s like all dap’s are crap (all of them have issues it seems?) untill you pay 3000 euro, which is crazy just for IEM alone.

Oct 13, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #25 of 49
It the heat really that bad?… I am trying to find a dap that is better than my xdsd gryphon, because having everything seperate start to get annoying.

But it’s like all dap’s are crap (all of them have issues it seems?) untill you pay 3000 euro, which is crazy just for IEM alone.
The funny fact is that it seems that even for 3000 there are no devices that fully meet their price point and can be considered perfect.

Oct 13, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #26 of 49
The funny fact is that it seems that even for 3000 there are no devices that fully meet their price point and can be considered perfect.

The problem I only see is, I have a hard time trying to get comparisons to high end portable dacs/amps with daps, and there are near none of them, that do comparisons audio quality wise.

Nov 6, 2023 at 5:42 AM Post #27 of 49
I wonder how the hiby rs6 compares to these rest of these.
Me as well, could not find any comparison

God knows why I have sold my dx220max , cant find any alternatives in a normal price region. I just dont feel I am ready to pay 3k for a dap

Nov 9, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #28 of 49
Thanks but I'm Asia haha.

And yeah, I managed to do an extensive comparison between the DX240 and M15s already.

In short the M15s is more dynamic and lively while the DX240 sticks close to reference as much as possible.

Bass wise the DX240 is more controlled and tighter while the M15s has a relatively looser and boomier bass which sacrifices detail. With the DX240 you get layers, with the M15s you get a single note if that makes sense. In most songs this may not be a factor but in songs with prominent bass melody it has a more congested feel to it.

Mids wise the M15s feels more forward while the DX240 sounds dryer. Detail levels are excellent on both but the M15s sounds livelier. I want to say that the M15s is almost coloured in a way compared to the DX240. But it's done more tastefully than say on the Cayin N7.

Treble wise, rather than saying the M15s is less extended, it would be better to say that the M15s has a softer presentation while the DX240 presents it as dead neutral. This difference is exacerbated if you turn on level 1 and level 2 second harmonic distortion control. So if you have something with harsher treble the M15s reels it back in, but on already rolled off gear the DX240 is better.

Soundstage wise the DX240 has a clearer but smaller soundstage but the M15s is just larger overall. Both are on par with instrument placement and holography.

Dynamics wise it's no contest, the M15s is much better than the comparatively flat DX240. Notes have more punch and weight compared to the dryer presentation on the DX240.

With the exception of the looser bass I would prefer the M15s over the DX240.

Overall I'd say the DX240 sounds like an upgraded and refined DX160 whereas the M15s brings better dynamics, wider soundstage and a livelier performance overall.

There is a caveat with the M15s that can be absolutely dealbreaking though. The heat.

img_20230509_000227.png

Why did FiiO think this is ok? This can burn you if you keep your player in your pocket.

And I'm not even using its leather case so it's already a best case scenario. No wonder the M15s needed a 6k mah battery to match the battery life of the DX240. I'm just playing plain old 44.1khz flac by the way, I've yet to see the full extent of how bad it gets with higher resolution tracks.
Which amp are you using on the 240? How's the size difference between them?

Dec 3, 2023 at 8:22 PM Post #29 of 49
Of the recent daps I've demoed

The ranking goes SP2000T>M17 DC mode>M17s=>M15s>SP3000=DX240>M6U>WM1Z-M2=Cayin N7=M11 Plus ESS>M11s

Theres something about the 4499EX that sounds off, like it sounds blunted and lacks authority.

M15s definitely punches above it's weight.
I have the SP2000T but considering stepping down to something lighter & smaller like the M11s.

I had briefly did an A/B comparison of the SR25mkii vs SP2000T when I had both and whilst the SP2000T sounded better, it was only a marginal gain and I probably wouldn't have noticed it listening in isolation.

Since you have the M11s at the bottom of your ranking and SP2000T at the top, do you reckon that the difference is night and day?

Mar 10, 2024 at 11:46 PM Post #30 of 49
Which amp are you using on the 240? How's the size difference between them?
Stock amp module. The Dx240 is a lot lighter and smaller in all dimensions.
I have the SP2000T but considering stepping down to something lighter & smaller like the M11s.

I had briefly did an A/B comparison of the SR25mkii vs SP2000T when I had both and whilst the SP2000T sounded better, it was only a marginal gain and I probably wouldn't have noticed it listening in isolation.

Since you have the M11s at the bottom of your ranking and SP2000T at the top, do you reckon that the difference is night and day?
Definitely night and day. Even the M15s is about two steps up from it SQ wise.

I got the M15s because it's very close to the M17 (just a step below the SP2000T) and there was a deal for it going for only $700 brand new.

I've heard the Sr25mkii and its as far from the SP2000T as the gap between the M11s and M15s, if not greater. Were you using the Nutube Mode or regular op amp mode? The op amp mode is a lot less good.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back