New DAP: iBasso DX240 vs 300 vs Shanling M6 Ultra vs Fiio M15S
Apr 25, 2023 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

bose301s

100+ Head-Fier
I currently have an iBasso DX150, it's been a great sounding DAP to me and powers my MrSpeakers AEON Flow Closed and HiFiMan Ananda well, however it is extremely slow, using it is quite frustrating because of how slow it is, and the battery life is terrible, definitely not getting anywhere near rated from it.

I have been looking and through either new or used have narrowed it down between the iBasso DX240 vs 300 vs Shanling M6 Ultra vs Fiio M15S. I am somewhat leaning towards the DX240 as I like the sound of the DX150 and iBasso seems to have good firmware support and updates, that's also the same reason I'm looking at the DX300 but the 240 actually has a few small advantages in formats. The M6 Ultra seems very similar to the DX240 as well, no replaceable amp card though and I am not sure how Shanling compares to iBasso on updates, the quod AKM DAC does interest me as the DX150 uses an AKM DAC as well. Finally the just released Fiio M15S looks very nice, the power output capabilities are interesting as it would be very capable of any future headphones I may purchase.

Just looking for some advice on what you all may do.

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #2 of 49
I currently have an iBasso DX150, it's been a great sounding DAP to me and powers my MrSpeakers AEON Flow Closed and HiFiMan Ananda well, however it is extremely slow, using it is quite frustrating because of how slow it is, and the battery life is terrible, definitely not getting anywhere near rated from it.

I have been looking and through either new or used have narrowed it down between the iBasso DX240 vs 300 vs Shanling M6 Ultra vs Fiio M15S. I am somewhat leaning towards the DX240 as I like the sound of the DX150 and iBasso seems to have good firmware support and updates, that's also the same reason I'm looking at the DX300 but the 240 actually has a few small advantages in formats. The M6 Ultra seems very similar to the DX240 as well, no replaceable amp card though and I am not sure how Shanling compares to iBasso on updates, the quod AKM DAC does interest me as the DX150 uses an AKM DAC as well. Finally the just released Fiio M15S looks very nice, the power output capabilities are interesting as it would be very capable of any future headphones I may purchase.

Just looking for some advice on what you all may do.

The FiiO can disable the battery and run off the mains for higher output power. If I were using my DAP with low-sensitivity over-ears headphones, that's the one I would buy.

Apr 26, 2023 at 6:57 AM Post #3 of 49
My vote would go to dx240. New 240 is very different experience, way faster and snappier. Never lags while browsing library. Mango mode doesn't glitch anymore, sound quality is miles ahead of what dx200 or even dx220ex had. Battery life has improved by about 2.5h. By comparison they sound super sharp and unpleasant. Tuning is just perfect on it and can bet everything I have on their impeccable support, fiio has none in comparison to what I asso is like. Whole ownership experience is pretty swell and Paul is always ready to assist if you have any problems.
Shanling as far as I have heard have different house sound, have never heard their players.

Apr 28, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #4 of 49
Having owned 320, 240, m11 plus, m6u and m7, 320 is the best in sound. M6u is best for portability and build quality. Fiio has the best overall package. The 240 is not as good as the m6u in either sound or build quality and had the worst software by far. I've yet to hear the m15s. I'm interested in checking it out.

320 sounds better than 300 btw.

Apr 28, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #5 of 49
Having owned 320, 240, m11 plus, m6u and m7, 320 is the best in sound. M6u is best for portability and build quality. Fiio has the best overall package. The 240 is not as good as the m6u in either sound or build quality and had the worst software by far. I've yet to hear the m15s. I'm interested in checking it out.

Sound quality is some what subjective, in my reading I've seen some prefer the 240 and some prefer the M6U.

Apr 28, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #6 of 49
Sound quality is some what subjective, in my reading I've seen some prefer the 240 and some prefer the M6U.
In terms of resolution, that favors m6u. m6u is wider as well. dx240 is very narrower, very lean, and has almost zero bass response with standard amp. With amp 8mkii, some of these issues are resolved, but software, build quality and resolution/clarity favor m6u.

Apr 30, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 49
For pure sound, go dx320
Headamp.com often has open box for $1099

Apr 30, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 49
If you are doing new DAP's - any thoughts/ comparisions against the Hiby R6 Pro II?

Apr 30, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #10 of 49
That's not out yet. I would guess similar to m6u in performance

May 8, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #12 of 49

I have the M15s on loan right now.

From an extensive demo the M15s won out due to better bass extension, texture and control. The M6U had a softer less tight bass. Worse than my DX160 in fact.

The rest of the spectrum is very much a difference in tonality. The M15s is Reference-neutral with a hint of warmth whereas the M6U is very much warm-neutral. I liked the sharper transients and crisper tonality of the M15s.

Stay away from the Desktop Mode on the M15s though, it crushes the dynamics and soundstage.

Will be comparing the DX240 and M15s soon.

May 8, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #13 of 49
I have the M15s on loan right now.

From an extensive demo the M15s won out due to better bass extension, texture and control. The M6U had a softer less tight bass. Worse than my DX160 in fact.

The rest of the spectrum is very much a difference in tonality. The M15s is Reference-neutral with a hint of warmth whereas the M6U is very much warm-neutral. I liked the sharper transients and crisper tonality of the M15s.

Stay away from the Desktop Mode on the M15s though, it crushes the dynamics and soundstage.

Will be comparing the DX240 and M15s soon.
If you're around Chicago, I'd love to let you hear mine.
The thing about the dx240 is it's a bit of chameleon with the optional amp(s), especially if you have a knack for tweaks. Comment isn't meant to be a comparison post but there's a reason why better iBassos are popular with tweaks and difficult to pigeon hole. I have solid max prat with one board, sweet flow with another and both with a modded amp8 board. Stock board is a little lean as was noted here but it's not to difficult to improve. I wasn't a big fan of amp8mk2's focus but a little work and I love the thing. I suspect their new amp8mk2s has a similar fix. :relaxed:

May 9, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #14 of 49
If you're around Chicago, I'd love to let you hear mine.
The thing about the dx240 is it's a bit of chameleon with the optional amp(s), especially if you have a knack for tweaks. Comment isn't meant to be a comparison post but there's a reason why better iBassos are popular with tweaks and difficult to pigeon hole. I have solid max prat with one board, sweet flow with another and both with a modded amp8 board. Stock board is a little lean as was noted here but it's not to difficult to improve. I wasn't a big fan of amp8mk2's focus but a little work and I love the thing. I suspect their new amp8mk2s has a similar fix. :relaxed:
Thanks but I'm Asia haha.

And yeah, I managed to do an extensive comparison between the DX240 and M15s already.

In short the M15s is more dynamic and lively while the DX240 sticks close to reference as much as possible.

Bass wise the DX240 is more controlled and tighter while the M15s has a relatively looser and boomier bass which sacrifices detail. With the DX240 you get layers, with the M15s you get a single note if that makes sense. In most songs this may not be a factor but in songs with prominent bass melody it has a more congested feel to it.

Mids wise the M15s feels more forward while the DX240 sounds dryer. Detail levels are excellent on both but the M15s sounds livelier. I want to say that the M15s is almost coloured in a way compared to the DX240. But it's done more tastefully than say on the Cayin N7.

Treble wise, rather than saying the M15s is less extended, it would be better to say that the M15s has a softer presentation while the DX240 presents it as dead neutral. This difference is exacerbated if you turn on level 1 and level 2 second harmonic distortion control. So if you have something with harsher treble the M15s reels it back in, but on already rolled off gear the DX240 is better.

Soundstage wise the DX240 has a clearer but smaller soundstage but the M15s is just larger overall. Both are on par with instrument placement and holography.

Dynamics wise it's no contest, the M15s is much better than the comparatively flat DX240. Notes have more punch and weight compared to the dryer presentation on the DX240.

With the exception of the looser bass I would prefer the M15s over the DX240.

Overall I'd say the DX240 sounds like an upgraded and refined DX160 whereas the M15s brings better dynamics, wider soundstage and a livelier performance overall.

There is a caveat with the M15s that can be absolutely dealbreaking though. The heat.

img_20230509_000227.png

Why did FiiO think this is ok? This can burn you if you keep your player in your pocket.

And I'm not even using its leather case so it's already a best case scenario. No wonder the M15s needed a 6k mah battery to match the battery life of the DX240. I'm just playing plain old 44.1khz flac by the way, I've yet to see the full extent of how bad it gets with higher resolution tracks.

Last edited:
May 9, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #15 of 49
Thanks but I'm Asia haha.

And yeah, I managed to do an extensive comparison between the DX240 and M15s already.

In short the M15s is more dynamic and lively while the DX240 sticks close to reference as much as possible.

Bass wise the DX240 is more controlled and tighter while the M15s has a relatively looser and boomier bass which sacrifices detail. With the DX240 you get layers, with the M15s you get a single note if that makes sense. In most songs this may not be a factor but in songs with prominent bass melody it has a more congested feel to it.

Mids wise the M15s feels more forward while the DX240 sounds dryer. Detail levels are excellent on both but the M15s sounds livelier. I want to say that the M15s is almost coloured in a way compared to the DX240. But it's done more tastefully than say on the Cayin N7.

Treble wise, rather than saying the M15s is less extended, it would be better to say that the M15s has a softer presentation while the DX240 presents it as dead neutral. This difference is exacerbated if you turn on level 1 and level 2 second harmonic distortion control. So if you have something with harsher treble the M15s reels it back in, but on already rolled off gear the DX240 is better.

Soundstage wise the DX240 has a clearer but smaller soundstage but the M15s is just larger overall. Both are on par with instrument placement and holography.

Dynamics wise it's no contest, the M15s is much better than the comparatively flat DX240. Notes have more punch and weight compared to the dryer presentation on the DX240.

With the exception of the looser bass I would prefer the M15s over the DX240.

Overall I'd say the DX240 sounds like an upgraded and refined DX160 whereas the M15s brings better dynamics, wider soundstage and a livelier performance overall.

There is a caveat with the M15s that can be absolutely dealbreaking though. The heat.

img_20230509_000227.png

Why did FiiO think this is ok? This can burn you if you keep your player in your pocket.

And I'm not even using its leather case so it's already a best case scenario. No wonder the M15s needed a 6k mah battery to match the battery life of the DX240. I'm just playing plain old 44.1khz flac by the way, I've yet to see the full extent of how bad it gets with higher resolution tracks.
Should see if you can try the amp8mk2S when you get a chance. Just nice to know that DAPs are getting this good in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back