New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
Mar 9, 2024 at 6:13 AM Post #797 of 1,156
This is strange because I'm probably the person that is changing volume more constantly in all of head-fi, I'm doing this ALL the time (often several times in one track), and for me this great aspect of the iO-12 is one of the principal reasons I deciding selling my Solitaire T and keeping the iO-12, meaning, the instant access to changing volume AND having the volume that I really want (not big jumps like some others ANC/BT headphones). For me is extremely rare that I clicking the play/pause area in the iO-12 when I want changing the volume up or down.

I don't know how you doing this but from the first day I always use my right thumb and middle fingers for holding the right earcup (in the area where the on/off, "Bass" setting and ANC buttons are) because they helping my fingers knowing instantly where all playback actions are, and I use my index finger for clicking volume up; I only use my thumb but sliding all way down (in the same area) and my index finger for clicking volume down.
Volume controls are definitely under appreciated. That's one of my favorite features added in the Airpods Pro 2 over the original set also.

Mar 10, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #798 of 1,156
Joined the club!

Attachments

• IMG_3119.jpeg
    IMG_3119.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 10, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #800 of 1,156
Congrats!
Thank you. I’m very much looking forward to testing these. First impressions at the Heidelberg „World of Headphones“ fair were very good indeed.

Mar 10, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #801 of 1,156
Has anyone had success doing a factory reset? Seems impossible following the instructions. Thanks. (The reason I want to factory reset is that my pair sometimes won't fully turn off--the power light stays on--it's as if I only turned off the BT connection. If I press on power again, they power back on, and then I need to power them off again. Kind of annoying.

Mar 11, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #802 of 1,156
Has anyone had success doing a factory reset? Seems impossible following the instructions. Thanks. (The reason I want to factory reset is that my pair sometimes won't fully turn off--the power light stays on--it's as if I only turned off the BT connection. If I press on power again, they power back on, and then I need to power them off again. Kind of annoying.
Yeah, it i is pretty easy, actually

Power the headphones on, press and hold volume up and volume down and then, additionally press and hold the power button for a couple of seconds. The lights will start flashing red after that :)

Other than that, you can also do a „normal“ (soft) reset using a sim tray eject tool in that small reset hole on the right earcup 👍

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #803 of 1,156
Power the headphones on, press and hold volume up and volume down and then, additionally press and hold the power button for a couple of seconds. The lights will start flashing red after that :)
Holding power button is the key! I double checked with User Guide again, and it says "briefly press"... And that was the root cause of struggling with reset in my case.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #804 of 1,156
Thank you. I’m very much looking forward to testing these. First impressions at the Heidelberg „World of Headphones“ fair were very good indeed.
Super happy for you! I’m constantly on cloud 9 listening to music these days

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:13 AM Post #805 of 1,156
Yeah, it i is pretty easy, actually

Thanks. I got hung up on the "briefly" in the manual. It was more like a long press than a brief press.

Interestingly, after reset and re-pairing to my devices, the Dali name is now correct on my MBP. Previously it was spelled oddly. Hopefully that will solve my small issue.

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:26 AM Post #806 of 1,156
Thanks. I got hung up on the "briefly" in the manual. It was more like a long press than a brief press.

Interestingly, after reset and re-pairing to my devices, the Dali name is now correct on my MBP. Previously it was spelled oddly. Hopefully that will solve my small issue.
Glad to help. Yeah, the „briefly“ in the manual is pretty misleading. Any brief press just powers them off.

Mar 12, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #807 of 1,156
Maybe here is little more marketing than substance but this video by Dali I think is still interesting:

Mar 13, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #808 of 1,156
One more example of some excellent performance by the iO-12.

This remarkable live performance of this track from from 50 years ago (November 1973) is have a more loud than average sound in the mix of the rhythm section (bass and drums) because this is how the band is doing this live in that tour and the recording is representing this.

Many headphones or earphoones (with more warm or a bassy sound) spoiling quickly the reproduction of this music. With the iO-12 you can hear the dominance in the sound of the rhythm section that is present in the original mix but you have a very more 'correct' excitement and realism from this decision without affecting (so) badly the sound of the others instruments and the complete sound picture. Maybe my auditory memory isn't so good (generally is very good), but I don't remember other headphone reproducing this track so well.

Mar 13, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #809 of 1,156
One more example of some excellent performance by the iO-12.

This remarkable live performance of this track from from 50 years ago (November 1973) is have a more loud than average sound in the mix of the rhythm section (bass and drums) because this is how the band is doing this live in that tour and the recording is representing this.

Many headphones or earphoones (with more warm or a bassy sound) spoiling quickly the reproduction of this music. With the iO-12 you can hear the dominance in the sound of the rhythm section that is present in the original mix but you have a very more 'correct' excitement and realism from this decision without affecting (so) badly the sound of the others instruments and the complete sound picture. Maybe my auditory memory isn't so good (generally is very good), but I don't remember other headphone reproducing this track so well.

https://open.qobuz.com/album/s5f0qu85uvzcc :)
(Fracture - The Steven Wilson Mix in Hi-Res)

Attachments

• s5f0qu85uvzcc_600.jpg
    s5f0qu85uvzcc_600.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #810 of 1,156

Users who are viewing this thread

Back