New Dali iO-12 ANC Headphones – Impressions Thread
Mar 1, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #767 of 1,155
Should I wait until I can afford the X9000 plus some not-too-expensive amplifier (might take a while...) or buy a cheaper e-stat? :)

This belongs to the X9000 or the Stax thread... so it's off-topic here. In my experience, the better headphones get, the harder is to find their best environment, partly because they expose far more weaknesses of upstream than lesser transducers. I have tried many amps with the X9K until one "clicked in", then I "maxed out" (using the best parts available) with that design, and then the experience was transformative... not fallen apart at all, but more of a single holistic organic experience, close to good acoustic concert experiences - OK, still retaining the X9K character, but in a better way. The X9K is not a requirement, people I know had similar experiences with the 007 Mk1 and the SR-Omega, clearly preferring them over the X9K. It might also depend on your preferred musical genres... About expensive amps: a friend achieved very good results (he says best results) with the X9K using a modded SRM-252 + a special LPSU (check the X9K thread). A Lambda Sig or LE or SR-Lambda (normal bias) can also sound excellent, and the total cost of say a modded Stax T1 with e.g. a Lambda Sig is affordable and comparable to the IO-12 on price, but much better on sound. Read the Stax thread, you'll get good tips. My pref is with the X9K among the Stax, given a well matching amplification. Nevertheless, I like even more my two Phenomenon e-stats, and best I like my good speaker setups. IMHO the best value in wired (closed) headphones today are the new issue (post 2022) Denon D7200's, and the best wireless are the IO-12, for me.

IMHO the IO-12 is reproducing only a small part of that "best" experience and it sounds more rough, not as fluid and deep and rich - but it reminds to it... and has the convenience and good-enough'ness for many use cases, so it represents an awesome value for me - not so much with the stock ear pads, but YMMV.

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #770 of 1,155
There are other ear pads?

The iO-12 is only coming with the factory earpads that you have already. I think zolkis is speaking about the iO-4/iO-6 round earpads that also fitting the iO-12. I think that he maybe also trying others earpads using some adapters that helping fitting in the iO-12 but I'm 100% not sure. You can doing a search in this thread for "ear pads / earpads" and you will seeing all the information about his posts about this topic.

----------------------------------

The fact that some people even speaking about (sometimes top of line) Stax headphones or the HD800S in relation with the iO-12 in this thread is a testament of how very good is the iO-12. For me, personally, the iO-12 is comparing very favourably with my HD800 and my custom IEM UERM. After almost 4 months I continue being very impressed with the audio capabilities of the iO-12, and the unique comfort and user experience of the playback controls are also critical aspects that making me very happy every day using this headphone.

Mar 2, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #771 of 1,155
The iO-12 is only coming with the factory earpads that you have already. I think zolkis is speaking about the iO-4/iO-6 round earpads that also fitting the iO-12. I think that he maybe also trying others earpads using some adapters that helping fitting in the iO-12 but I'm 100% not sure. You can doing a search in this thread for "ear pads / earpads" and you will seeing all the information about his posts about this topic.

----------------------------------

The fact that some people even speaking about (sometimes top of line) Stax headphones or the HD800S in relation with the iO-12 in this thread is a testament of how very good is the iO-12. For me, personally, the iO-12 is comparing very favourably with my HD800 and my custom IEM UERM. After almost 4 months I continue being very impressed with the audio capabilities of the iO-12, and the unique comfort and user experience of the playback controls are also critical aspects that making me very happy every day using this headphone.

Everything you say makes sense to me. I have never been a 'sit and listen to headphones' guy. If I'm going to sit down and listen I'd prefer speakers. But If I can go for walks and listen I'm very happy. I've owned many IEMs and DAPs and have Focal Stellia etc and I'm so happy with the IO-12s. I haven't even listened via USB yet - I'm just using Bluetooth from my Fiio M17.

Mar 2, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #772 of 1,155
If I'm going to sit down and listen I'd prefer speakers.

I think this is true for the very majority of people -- the experience of listening to music with (good) speakers is the best.

BUT the reality is that many people aren't using speakers only because of the obvious limitations of portability of speakers -- even when you're at home maybe you're living in a flat where speakers is a problem with your neighbours all the time or in during some times of the day, or you have people in others rooms in your house or flat that can hearing the speakers and this is problematic... Even open-back headphones can being a problem if you have people very near you in the same room, the office or an airplane! The advantages of (good) wireless close-back headphones is tremendous. When a headphone is offering you the sound quality of the iO-12 (or Solitaire T), this is priceless and, for me, a great investment.

Mar 2, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #773 of 1,155
Some weeks ago I posting a link for a track from the same album from the link below. Now, when I'm listening to one of my very long playlists in random mode like always, is coming this track from the same album.

Like I saying some weeks ago, the recording of this album is not very good (apparently a decision that is intentional from the band). This track is difficult sonically for me even with the excellent Solitaire T because things are becoming very congested easily and eventually are difficult for my ears. The iO-12 is doing superb job in this track, having the capacity of extracting 'the music' from this track without pain for my ears. From 5:10 to 7:00 is where things have more complication sonically and the iO-12 is doing really superb job when considering the limitations of the recording.

Mar 3, 2024 at 3:02 AM Post #774 of 1,155
Yesterday at the „world of headphones“ in Heidelberg, I had the chance to listen to the iO-12 for 30 Minutes. Great sounding headphone, it beats my Bathys in terms of clarity and detail. The build quality also makes a better impression. The only issue I have is that my ears touch the inside of the earcups. I am not sure if that will be an issue in long listening sessions.

Mar 3, 2024 at 3:14 AM Post #775 of 1,155
Yesterday at the „world of headphones“ in Heidelberg, I had the chance to listen to the iO-12 for 30 Minutes. Great sounding headphone, it beats my Bathys in terms of clarity and detail. The build quality also makes a better impression. The only issue I have is that my ears touch the inside of the earcups. I am not sure if that will be an issue in long listening sessions.
For me it's always on the edge: sometimes that feeling disappears, sometimes it is slightly bothering, but never a problem even in case of a whole day run. Interestingly, I haven't found any correlation with headphones position on the head. Probably it will go away completely with natural clamping force adjustment.

Mar 3, 2024 at 6:02 AM Post #776 of 1,155
Most of the time I use Arya Organic or Meze Empyrean II when listening to music. Both are very very comfortable, so it might be that I am a little bit more sensitive when my ears touch the inside of the earcups or when the clamping force is too strong. Overall I think the iO-12 is one of the most comfortable Bluetooth headphones.

Mar 3, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #777 of 1,155
Most of the time I use Arya Organic or Meze Empyrean II when listening to music. Both are very very comfortable, so it might be that I am a little bit more sensitive when my ears touch the inside of the earcups or when the clamping force is too strong. Overall I think the iO-12 is one of the most comfortable Bluetooth headphones.
Oh yes, comfort-wise my target is something like good old HD 599 :)

hd599.jpg

Mar 3, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #778 of 1,155
One problem I have with the IO-12 is that there is too little clamping force due to me having a narrow head (where they would slide off if I bent over). So I wear a baseball cap along with them and it works fairly well - and the lack of a strong clamping feeling is actually very comfortable.

Mar 5, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #780 of 1,155
Has anybody tried Dali with Apple Lightning to Usb adaptor? I have an error that there is insufficient power. Maybe is there any workaround?

I tried this in a store the other day although not with the official Apple adapter but a 3d-party alternative.

The headphones in question complained on having only 10% of battery power but they did play from my phone via that adapter, and the phone battery was draining unusually fast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back