New Custom-to-Universal IEMs: InEar StageDiver 2/3
May 15, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #124 of 1,401
I need more detailed reviews.  Because of customs fees/taxes the SD3 would have to be a compelling piece of kit for me to bite.  I'm grabbing a few new CIEMs and at this level it's hard to say 'no' to the custom and yes to the universal.  Though at some point I do want a quality universal I can share with friends/girlfriend.

Reviews and comparisons are my meat... FEED ME!  [Think of the giant plant from Little Shop of Horrors.]

May 15, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #126 of 1,401
Learning to save could be as important as anything you get from school.
Quote:
Gilly87 and jazzyfi,

I think you just made me make up my mind and keep on saving for SE 5 way.

For a student, it is a long, tiring and painful road but it is worth it I think.

May 15, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #127 of 1,401
I used to love my westone 2, but after listening to the sd3 I easily gave them away(to a friend of mine)

sd3 is the perfect in-ear for me:
sub bass is just right
mid bass(beat) is beefy, not BA-typical hollow,
upper bass is noticeable but not irritating like the westone 3 upper bass

the mids are just perfect, high resolution, nice separation, vocal presentation is the best I have ever heard-very emotional, instrumental separation is just as good as the vocals,
treble presentation is sweet, never too aggressive or sharp but the sd3 goes really high, it's just not the jh16 or UERM Treble which some people may like better.

excellent clarity, especially on the left and right channel
and the sd3 is not that difficult to drive, I have seen some RMAAs and the triple fi10s were much more difficult to drive.

the sd3 are very loud, like 17/30 instead of 20/30 with an Westone 2 or any other common universal in-ear.

all in all a big, full and rich sound, exactly what I was looking for, 445 Euro is a joke, if you consider their value.

May 16, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #128 of 1,401
Quote:
I used to love my westone 2, but after listening to the sd3 I easily gave them away(to a friend of mine)

sub bass is just right

the mids are just perfect, high resolution, nice separation, vocal presentation is the best I have ever heard-very emotional, instrumental separation is just as good as the vocals,
treble presentation is sweet, never too aggressive or sharp but the sd3 goes really high, it's just not the jh16 or UERM Treble which some people may like better.

and the sd3 is not that difficult to drive, I have seen some RMAAs and the triple fi10s were much more difficult to drive.

the sd3 are very loud, like 17/30 instead of 20/30 with an Westone 2 or any other common universal in-ear.

all in all a big, full and rich sound, exactly what I was looking for, 445 Euro is a joke, if you consider their value.

Sounds so tempting... Although have to choose between this and SE846
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #129 of 1,401
just remember it's a full bodied bass that includes the upper bass for a full and strong sound...it's not like "I want a neutral sound signature but let's take advantage of a 3-4 dB gain.."

the way the treble is presented may let you think that the sd3 can't go high enough but believe me they do.

For 445 it's a steal...I would say 1 class above the shure se535 so I don't think that the shure 846(few information, too much focus on the sub bass, etc.) could beat the sd3...even if it will be on par, the price difference is about 400 Dollars at least...and don't let the lower price cloud your jugdement.

May 16, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #130 of 1,401
i had the ue900, w4, heir 4.ai, as well as se530, se535, sm3, and many more, and believe me, there is no universal ba driver based iem out there, which gives you such a complete sound. they sound like 50mm driver open cans.

May 16, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #132 of 1,401
Quote:

sub bass is just right

Now that's interesting because I always loved the westone 2, but felt it just needed that touch more bass.  I tried the westone 3 but there was too much!  These could be very interesting (though if my cosmic ears finally fit these may not be needed!).

Cheers

May 16, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #133 of 1,401
Quote:
i had the ue900, w4, heir 4.ai, as well as se530, se535, sm3, and many more, and believe me, there is no universal ba driver based iem out there, which gives you such a complete sound. they sound like 50mm driver open cans.

The Westone 4 is a good deal right now and the Heir 4ai is equally interesting.  Can you provide more specific comparisons?  i.e. Sound stage, bass, mids, treble, clarity, instrument seperation....?  Details, please!

May 16, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #134 of 1,401
Now that's interesting because I always loved the westone 2, but felt it just needed that touch more bass.  I tried the westone 3 but there was too much!  These could be very interesting (though if my cosmic ears finally fit these may not be needed!).

Cheers

been a while since I tried the westone 3 but I guess the sd3 Bass is stronger. I didn't like the w3 upper bass(too prominent) and the recessed mids..that's why I prefered the w2 over the w3

May 16, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #135 of 1,401
to my ears:

w4: very good resolution and detail retrieval. superbly refined sound, very wide soundstage. but: little veiled/distant sounding. almost no depth in soundstage --> little bit 2 dimensional sounding.
heir 4.ai: fantastic creamy mids. soundstage not the widest, but ok depth. little behind w4 in detail and resolution. sometimes slightly edgy treble
ue900: most analytical and best resolution compared to w4 and heir. but little dry sounding. with narrow soundstage and sometimes weird positioning. best treble response, outstanding extension on both ends.
stagediver 3: more visceral bass response than the others, better texture and impact in bass, but not overdone. mids similar to the heir just slightly warmed up. smooth treble with realistic timbre. most exciting: widest and deepest soundstage ever heard in any ba-based iem. not only that, it can handle distances in a very realistic way through the space in all directions. if the singer just whispers into the mic, it sounds, like you are the mic, while other instruments are placed realistic in the room, concert hall or whatever. it just sounds right. as far as details go, i explore new sounds in my music. pretty rare, after heaving heard my music with a lot of top tier headphones. never thought, that i would hear new sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back