New Custom-to-Universal IEMs: InEar StageDiver 2/3
May 23, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #1,381 of 1,401
Bringing this thread back up as I am interested in the StageDiver series.

I am looking for a good in-ear headphone which I can easily take along when travelling.

My problem is that I have small ears and very narrow ear canals. So all the "normal" in-ears dont fit for me. Either I cant even put them in or they plop back out after a few seconds (even with the smallest tips). Currently I am using the Bose in-ears which only clip into the outer ear. Those I can wear but the sound depends a lot on how I place them and honestly, they dont sound that good.

I found the company InEar while looking for possible custom IEMs. But then I found their StageDiver S series for small ears. Today I had the chance to do a quick "mechanical test" if they fit at all. And yes, with the smallest tips I can actually wear them. So on Saturday I am planning to go back to my dealer and bring my laptop+DAC/Amp along so that I can test the different models with songs I know.

I was just kinda shocked when the sales guy (*hint hint*) told me that I would need to buy the most expensive SD4s if I want a system that is good in music reproduction. I was more aiming for either the SD2s or the SD3s also due to financial reasons. Did someone of you compare the SD4 with its smaller siblings? Is the mid-centric or bass-strong signature of the 2 and 3 models that bad?

What should I expect from the different models? In the world of over-ears I am using HD650 for classic and vocal-heavy stuff (singer songwriter) and Denon D5000 for electronic/rock/pop. Maybe someone can compare the sound signatures.

I will keep you updated on my decision.

Thanks a lot for your help

May 23, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #1,382 of 1,401
Bringing this thread back up as I am interested in the StageDiver series.

I am looking for a good in-ear headphone which I can easily take along when travelling.

My problem is that I have small ears and very narrow ear canals. So all the "normal" in-ears dont fit for me. Either I cant even put them in or they plop back out after a few seconds (even with the smallest tips). Currently I am using the Bose in-ears which only clip into the outer ear. Those I can wear but the sound depends a lot on how I place them and honestly, they dont sound that good.

I found the company InEar while looking for possible custom IEMs. But then I found their StageDiver S series for small ears. Today I had the chance to do a quick "mechanical test" if they fit at all. And yes, with the smallest tips I can actually wear them. So on Saturday I am planning to go back to my dealer and bring my laptop+DAC/Amp along so that I can test the different models with songs I know.

I was just kinda shocked when the sales guy (*hint hint*) told me that I would need to buy the most expensive SD4s if I want a system that is good in music reproduction. I was more aiming for either the SD2s or the SD3s also due to financial reasons. Did someone of you compare the SD4 with its smaller siblings? Is the mid-centric or bass-strong signature of the 2 and 3 models that bad?

What should I expect from the different models? In the world of over-ears I am using HD650 for classic and vocal-heavy stuff (singer songwriter) and Denon D5000 for electronic/rock/pop. Maybe someone can compare the sound signatures.

I will keep you updated on my decision.

Thanks a lot for your help

Let your own ears decide. It seems you are already familiar with the main differences between the models so know what to look for. Don't be wowed by the most exciting thing ever, as you have to live with these day to day for awhile. What might seems fun at first could get tiring over time. Also don't be afraid to walk from the sale if the sales guy gets too pushy. It's your money and your right to choose whether or not to actually pull the trigger. A good sales person should give you all the time you need within reason. If your ears are that small have you considered proper customs or not? You don't say where you are location wise but might be worth looking into long term.

Good luck either way. Wish there was somewhere round me with cool toys like this to demo before buying!

May 23, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #1,383 of 1,401
Let your own ears decide. It seems you are already familiar with the main differences between the models so know what to look for.
I will definitely listen myself before buying something this expensive. I have been reading a lot on these IEMs but text can only tell you that much ... but its still valuable input that can help with the decision.
Don't be wowed by the most exciting thing ever, as you have to live with these day to day for awhile. What might seems fun at first could get tiring over time. Also don't be afraid to walk from the sale if the sales guy gets too pushy. It's your money and your right to choose whether or not to actually pull the trigger. A good sales person should give you all the time you need within reason.
yeah ... thats is why I am already very happy that I can test in-ears at all ... hygienic reasons and all. And he offered that I can bring my own music and sources. So I am in good hope that I can test them nicely.
If your ears are that small have you considered proper customs or not? You don't say where you are location wise but might be worth looking into long term.
I live in Germany. I have been looking into customs as well ... that was when I stumbled across the company InEar Monitoring who is well known for their custom designs. But they also offer the SD series which is a bit cheaper than a full custom.
Good luck either way. Wish there was somewhere round me with cool toys like this to demo before buying!
I am very lucky that I live only 30min away from the Thomann store (which has been mentioned multiple times in this thread)

May 23, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #1,384 of 1,401
I had to sell off my SD-2 becuase they hurt my ears so much.

May 27, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #1,385 of 1,401
Today I made another trip to the Thomann store to listen to the different type in the StageDiver series ... and walked out with a pair of SD4s

Due to my very narrow ear canals I can only use the smallest tips (XS) and even those are at the edge and apply more pressure than comfortable. So I will be looking to test other tips. Does anyone have ides for some small (and short) tips that are compatible with the SD series? I will also check with Thomann again. I think they had different tips for their test IEMs in the store which were a bit shorter than the ones that come from InEar.

I am also experiencing a harsher treble on the new pair I got compared to their demo pair. I have now been running my pair for a few hours and the harshness seems to go down with burn-in time. So I will wait a bit longer and see how that evolves. But maybe that is also something that could be adressed with proper tips.

====================================================

Here are some quick impressions of the different StageDivers (be aware that I was only testing them from my phone and that I was actually testing the non-s versions which did not fit properly) ... in the order I tried them:

SD-3: Bass ... lots of it. Very nice with electronic. Not so much with voices. Female voices sounded like the singer just gained 100lbs ... a bit too muffled for my liking

SD-4: For the best compromise. Still enough base, tighter and not as boomy as SD-3. Enough air due to slight emphasize on treble (the one I bought is a bit harsh in treble but its getting better with burn-in). Slight v-sound but not enough to ruin voices.

SD-2: Very mid-centric. When listening after SD-4 (and especially after SD-3) it seems there is no base at all. Nice on voices but e.g. on electronic it sound lifeless to me.

SD-1: Telephone ... yeah, only listened to two songs. Mid-only. No base, no treble. Sounds like sound through an old phone line.

====================================================

EDIT: I will write more about my experience with the SD4s when I actually have more experience with it. And maybe also my experience with other tips if I find some worth testing.

I have just realized that the IEMs are a lot more comfortable for me if I dont try to force them in as far as I thought. They are now still resting in the outer ear (and also being held by the bendy part of the cable) and will not fall out or move much. But I have way less pressure now making them much more comfortable. they maybe stick out a bit more than normally planned for but it still seems to work fine.

Last edited:
May 29, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #1,386 of 1,401
Musical reproduction? To be honest I think SD-2 is good enough for most people. Of course trying to upsell to SD-4 isn't out of the salesmans favor and 4 drivers usually does sound better than 2 if it's tuned the same but I really think SD-2 is the best for the price in the range since it really does nothing wrong. Although of course, choosing the one with the sound signature that you like should be the priority.

Also I see you are looking at customs as well. I find both the InEar and Customs very comfortable; the custom has more sound isolation but is more of a pain having to clean, while the InEar has less isolation but can easily be slipped in and out.

Whichever InEar you choose, I'd also recommend a Linum cable; most comfortable UIEM combination to me.

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:05 AM Post #1,387 of 1,401
I just got an sd2s. I hae a question for those who can help. What dap is best suited for this iem? It seems that on aome tracks, imaging is not accurate, as instruments are not positioned the way I used to hear on some tracks. Midrange seems to be warm and doesn't shine though. Is this really the sq of this phone?

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #1,388 of 1,401
I just got an sd2s. I hae a question for those who can help. What dap is best suited for this iem? It seems that on aome tracks, imaging is not accurate, as instruments are not positioned the way I used to hear on some tracks. Midrange seems to be warm and doesn't shine though. Is this really the sq of this phone?

as far as i remember, the sd2s is a neutral-sounding iem w/ a hint of warmth on its mids..
i paired it w/ my ak100>pure II amp..
since it's new, give it some time to burn in...

Jul 9, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #1,390 of 1,401
Actually this is not new. I bought it from a friend who used it for 1 year already. Will it benefit if I used balance cable for aune m1s? Or does quality of recordings play . Role in this iem's sq?

haven't heard it in a balanced setup..
imo, going balanced will not change the overall tonality of your iem..
you might wanna try cable-rolling..

Jul 9, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #1,393 of 1,401
You didn't tell us what you are used to. Maybe SD2 is not the very best in terms of imaging accuracy, possibly due to its rather huge "soundstage" for an IEM?

As for the sound signature, it is a mid-focused IEM and I think it is even characterized as such by its manufacturer. It's a stage monitor, mind you. If you don't like it (I don't) you may try a DAP with a unusually high output impedance or a cable with an unusually high resistance. (Tip rolling doesn't help much in my experience.) It might solve your problem but it's like winning the lottery.

If you know how to use a parametric equalizer (or are willing to learn it) and find a DAP that features one, that would be the best solution in my experience. It works very well for me, anyway. Just for illustration this is what I do to change the SD2's sound signature to my liking:
sd2.jpg

Jul 9, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #1,394 of 1,401
You didn't tell us what you are used to. Maybe SD2 is not the very best in terms of imaging accuracy, possibly due to its rather huge "soundstage" for an IEM?

As for the sound signature, it is a mid-focused IEM and I think it is even characterized as such by its manufacturer. It's a stage monitor, mind you. If you don't like it (I don't) you may try a DAP with a unusually high output impedance or a cable with an unusually high resistance. (Tip rolling doesn't help much in my experience.) It might solve your problem but it's like winning the lottery.

If you know how to use a parametric equalizer (or are willing to learn it) and find a DAP that features one, that would be the best solution in my experience. It works very well for me, anyway. Just for illustration this is what I do to change the SD2's sound signature to my liking:

Hello. Thanks for this very helpful insight. What I mean of being used to is that there are songs that I heard differently in imaging presentation in sd2, which is very different from my other iems which all has the same presentation. I'm more on mid centric guy, and though I'm hearing lively mids on sd2, it seems not shining so on some tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back