New Custom-to-Universal IEMs: InEar StageDiver 2/3
Dec 4, 2014 at 8:31 PM Post #1,052 of 1,401
I have also owned both the SD-2 and SD-3. I didn't care for the SD-3 as it seemed to be tonally inaccurate but the SD-2 is totally different. I find it to be a very smooth, well-balanced all-arounder. It has a very natural lifelike SQ with an expansive soundstage and images quite well. A very competent performer in this crowded price group!

Dec 4, 2014 at 10:33 PM Post #1,053 of 1,401
Well, I've got them now the sd4 that is. I've had a quick chance to compare them to the sd2 that I also have and really like.

I'll begin by saying that the sd4 bass is really really nice. I'm not a bass head but the bass goes very low, great sub bass much more than the sd2. The mid bass is also not too exaggerated like the sd3. Yes the sd4 is slightly warmer than the sd2 but nowhere near as much mid bass as the sd3. Because of this the bass Dose not bleed into the mids. The mids are very lush and slighty forward, not as forward as the sd2 though, vocals sound amazing quite intimate but not as in your face intimate as some other mid centric iems. So far so good..... Both the bass and mids are better than the sd2, they have great note thickness and sound more like a on ear than an in ear. Instrument separation is top notch as well as imaging. The sound stage is very wide and is much more 3d than the sd2 up and down and side to side rather than just the side to side of the sd2.

Now the bad. It seems it like inear just concentrated on the bass and mids and just left the highs as an after thought. The highs are not right at all, they are more sparkly than the sd2 and this is not such a bad thing as some say the highs on the sd2 are not very extended. They are definitely more extended on the sd4 but they are sssssibilant . And sound just off to me. Now don't panic as I've only tried the stock tips so far I've got some Ortofon tips at home that have a bigger bore so it may tame the highs a bit and reduce the ssssss and tttttttt. a bit. Funnily enough even though they are sibilant they are not particularly fatiguing so a bit of a paradox there.

I clearly need to give them some time and try some other tips. The are very promising and do a lot of things right. I'll get back to you when I've spent some more time with them.
Thanks for sharing your impressions. The SD4 seems very tempting to me at this point.

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #1,054 of 1,401
Good to be back in the StageDiver world.
I've just spotted the Thomann listing for the SD-4 and came hot foot to Head-Fi to catch up.
I really loved my SD-3 (the fit and That Bass) but the treble range was deficient for me which was a disappointment. Tried it with a solid silver cable from Ted but, to me, this was not a big improvement (although some others noted more significant positive changes with the silver).

Thanks IEMman for sharing your impressions.  
I'm hovering.

Dec 31, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #1,055 of 1,401
2eyxsag.jpg

My new iems after i broke my SM64 sad :frowning2: ..... But anyway the bass is sick on SD2

Jan 1, 2015 at 6:44 AM Post #1,058 of 1,401
The black cable is the standard one distributed with new stagediver iems. They made this decision a couple of months ago as they prepared to launch the sd4... So if you buy an sd from a new batch, you'll get the black cable rather than the one that goes all incredible hulk after a few months..

Jan 6, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #1,060 of 1,401
I've been getting a bit less enamored with the SD-2 lately BUT (to reiterate BUT) it turns out I was using the small stock tips for the last
god knows how long thinking they were mediums ... i changed up to the real mediums last night and this morning gave the sd-2 a 
first proper listen

Wow. Ok so I really can see how important a good seal in the ear canal is now. More isolation but importantly less bass and lower mid 
leakage and thus a fuller, more solid sound which is both more musical and real sounding. Like im closer to the musicians. 

Fantastic! Great iem. 

Looking forward to trying Shure se846, Roxannes , Fidue and Dunu 2000 at the upcoming Headroom show in London 

Jan 29, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #1,064 of 1,401
I noticed my right ear is much less deep than my left. My sd-2 sticks out from my right at a much greater angle. 
Think for next iem im going back to something less 'designed' and more stick in ...was looking at the new 
Sony hybrids.

That said the sound from the sd-2 IS really nice. But i was spoilt isolation wise from 2 yrs of er4s use with comply tips. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back