New custom SBH photos ... 2nd installment ... WHOAH !
May 18, 2010 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

downsize

Member of the Trade
[size=smaller][size=larger]As promised, here is the 2nd installment in a series of six. This is some crazy wood !   Bocote with Redheart accents. My wife and I can't decide if the top of the pre-amp looks more like a striped desert with plants, or spiders. [/size][/size]
[size=smaller][size=larger]Until next month, I hope you enjoy these.[/size][/size]

May 18, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 21
Very unique!  I like the utilitarian black box look of the original SBH but yours definitely stands out.  Did you get the box made and sent to Blue Circle or did you have them make that as well?  I'm digigng the plexi-shelf you have there too.

May 18, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #3 of 21
He made the wood boxes and cased the amp himself.  He also made the shelf.

I love the look of the Bocote wood DS!  It would be a gorgeous addition to any audio rack!  Are they both SBHs?

May 18, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 21

Quote:
He made the wood boxes and cased the amp himself.  He also made the shelf.

I love the look of the Bocote wood DS!  It would be a gorgeous addition to any audio rack!  Are they both SBHs?

Thanks Stacy. The Blue Circle SBH is a two box amp. The two boxes are the pre-amp and the power supply. This is a huge part of what makes the SBH sound so good ... that large power supply. And if you think the Bocote is beautiful, wait until you see the ..... Well, next month anyway
wink.gif

May 18, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 21

Quote:
Very unique!  I like the utilitarian black box look of the original SBH but yours definitely stands out.  Did you get the box made and sent to Blue Circle or did you have them make that as well?  I'm digigng the plexi-shelf you have there too.

Thanks for the kind words .... That shelf makes a HUGE difference in the sound !

May 20, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #11 of 21
I've actually been thinking about recasing mine, but I was thinking about consolidating the power supply and amp into one big wooden box.

also since i am absolutely horrible, horrible with tools and stuff like this.  i was thinking that rather than recasing them, i could just put both of them in a giant wooden box and some how bolt them down so they dont move around inside.

is that just a ridiculous idea?

May 21, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
by the way how does it sound with the minimax?  are you still using ultrasones?

im really thinking of trying the minimax out and im curious how it would sound with the SBH

The Minimax DAC is possibly THE BEST sounding DAC I have ever heard !  It is a match made in heaven with the SBH. And I will ALWAYS be loving the Ultrasones ! 

As far as you encasing both in a single box ... This is not a crazy idea at all. I have even considered this myself, and may still yet do it.
It's kind of strange .... although the threads are not getting many comments, I'm having a suprising number of people contacting me about commissioning work with wood. Maybe they are just shy of the critics and nay-sayers ?

May 21, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #14 of 21
that's crazy i might have the exact same setup as you by next week.  you are using the ultrasone 900 right?

so did you cut the wood yourself?  or did you just send someone the dimensions and they sent you the wood already made?

also, you didnt actually take the amp apart right?  you just put the wood around the outside of it's shell?

May 21, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
that's crazy i might have the exact same setup as you by next week.  you are using the ultrasone 900 right?

so did you cut the wood yourself?  or did you just send someone the dimensions and they sent you the wood already made?

also, you didnt actually take the amp apart right?  you just put the wood around the outside of it's shell?

I am using a perfectly modded Pro 900, but yes on that being the model of Ultrasone I am using. I have made both kinds actually. Some of them encase the metal, and some actually become the outre case without the metal. I make EVERY part of the cases by hand, and at my kitchen table 
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back