New custom pads for Sennheiser HD25-1 II
Jun 9, 2012 at 12:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Coq de Combat

Headphoneus Supremus
Since they are so big and ridiculous looking, you wouldn't want to wear them in public, which is why I didn't create this thread in the portables forum.

Less talk, more pics.

Comfort: yep, better.
Sound: hard to say. The bass is a bit more prominent (although it is felt a lot more .. these do rattle the brain), and so is the treble. But not in the Ultrasone Pro 900 league. Mids? Meh .. They do have a slightly more syrup:y sound now (I borrowed the term from MuppetFace, I thought it fit well here). Very good sounding for my kind of music .. Acoustic music and jazz is not too shabby either.

Yes, I made these more as a proof of concept, so they're glued, not stitched together. The glue is not really possible to feel, unless you start feeling around with fingertips. They are comfortable alright.

LOL, and yeah, I agree - they look ridiculous! But it was a fun project to do.

Jun 9, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #4 of 5
I just did a smaller version, if anyone would be interested, LOL

Feels better, sounds better, isolates better and looks better. Still glued together, which of course is a minu, but I look at these as sort of prototypes before running and buying more leather and needles and stuff. My goal is to make leather earpads for all my headphones, but I figured that it'd be the easiest to check out the HD25-1 II if my ideas work. They do. To be honest though, I might just keep these ones on as long as they keep, and this glue seem to be pretty hardcore stuff so they might just hold for a longer time ..

For those willing to try, I can say that the hardest part is to get the foam cut right. Foam is pretty difficult to get the way you want it.

So you can see the thickness of the pads:

Jun 9, 2012 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 5
Interesting to say the least.  I learned how to adjust the HD 25-1 II's for max comfort, and I can wear them for long periods. ymmv however.  Nice to see someone willing to use some elbow grease to find their own sweet spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back