New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and impressions thread
Jan 28, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #3,556 of 4,065
Thanks for the heads-up! I did not audion the Ei.xx yet, but I guess that would be the way to go then.
It was measured with a Veritas that was set-up to emulate uncompensated 711/60318 measurements.

You can stick to innerfidelity's measurement, if you don't trust my not-so-pro setup
biggrin.gif

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/1MORETripleDriver.pdf

Thats some pretty cool stuff, looking at the graphs I do agree and it does sound very good. It certainly is a "U" like sound but its not even a capital U lol

Do you have any of these cool graphs for any of the headphones from this company (custom art)?

Jan 28, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #3,557 of 4,065
Unfortunately I don't, but Piotr himself does great measurements with his IEC-standard setup that is even more accurate than mine.

This is his Ei.xx measurement: http://www.head-fi.org/t/778219/teaser-massdrop-x-new-custom-in-ear-monitor-available-september/240#post_11871086

Please mind not to compare uncompensated and compensated measurements with each other. My measurements are uncompensated as well as Piotr's unless specified otherwise. Innerfidelity does both - the grey curves are the uncompensated ones.

Jan 28, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #3,558 of 4,065
Unfortunately I don't, but Piotr himself does great measurements with his IEC-standard setup that is even more accurate than mine.

This is his Ei.xx measurement: http://www.head-fi.org/t/778219/teaser-massdrop-x-new-custom-in-ear-monitor-available-september/240#post_11871086

Please mind not to compare uncompensated and compensated measurements with each other. My measurements are uncompensated as well as Piotr's unless specified otherwise. Innerfidelity does both - the grey curves are the uncompensated ones.

Seems as if the Ei.XX are more flat overall, possibly sound better? Especially towards the upper end.

Jan 28, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #3,559 of 4,065
Ei series has boosted bass, it's plenty in quantity. But yea it's not bass head level.

Bass quality absolutely better than any universal I've heard, tight and controlled.

I wont say Ei.xx flat. It has V shaped sound with boosted bass and treble. Perhaps almost W, midrange doesnt sound recessed.

Jan 28, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #3,560 of 4,065
Ei series has boosted bass, it's plenty in quantity. But yea it's not bass head level.

Bass quality absolutely better than any universal I've heard, tight and controlled.

I wont say Ei.xx flat. It has V shaped sound with boosted bass and treble. Perhaps almost W, midrange doesnt sound recessed.

Not flat but flatter than the 1More TD

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #3,561 of 4,065

Not flat but flatter than the 1More TD

I own the 1More and several Custom Art models, so I'd like to chime in. It seems like you're a big fan of the 1More since you cited its tuning by an Italian Grammy winning sound engineer. I'm positive a lot of companies have renowned sound engineers on their teams, they just don't need to market that information as aggressively as a newer company. I'm also a bit confused about the sound signature you're looking for, and I also think you might be misinformed about a few things.

A three driver IEM isn't necessarily better than a one driver; it's a misconception that more drivers = better. One of the most famous and beloved IEMs on Head-Fi is the Etymotic ER4S, which has just one driver (although it is a $300 product). It's a neutral/analytical IEM though, and it seems like you prefer v-shaped IEMs like the 1More, so I'm not sure if that would be something you would like.

Also, be wary of comparing graphs from different sources. Different reviewers will measure IEMs differently, so it's not right to compare a graph from Headflux with a graph from Custom Art. Maybe find a source with measurements of the IEMs you want to compare, like @crinacle's thread. His 1More and Ei.xx graphs are quite similar, except the Ei.xx appears to have smoother treble.

As you already mentioned, graphs don't tell the entire story; tuning matters much more. 1More has like a +10dB bass boost but it doesn't necessarily feel that way because of how fast it decays. It has elevated treble, which can contribute to clarity and separation, but that can be fatiguing for some over longer periods of listening, and you can have great clarity and separation through good tuning, rather than elevated treble. It's interesting that a lot of the reviews on Head-Fi state that the 1More is a balanced IEM, even though its graph shows it's quite v-shaped (which I agree with). In general, the average consumer appreciates a v-shaped sound, because elevated bass (for the wub wub wub and thump thump thump) and treble (for the feeling of clarity) can be appreciated more readily than a well-tuned midrange. The average consumer also won't be wearing their headphones for hours on end, so treble fatigue isn't as much of an issue. That's why the 1More is tuned as v-shaped: to have an very agreeable sound. At its $100 price point, it is still catering quite a bit to a casual audience. You can give a more casual listener a very expensive balanced/neutral IEM without telling them what it is, and they might find it boring and might even prefer the 1More's v-shaped tuning.

I own the 1More too and I think it's very fun, and a great IEM, especially for $100, but in my opinion, it's overhyped as one of the best IEMs in recent memory, when I think it's just one of the best IEMs for its price in recent memory. I'm relieved it's still less hyped than the TFZ Series 3 (look that one up for some laughs). I'm not satisfied with how quickly the 1More's bass decays, but more importantly, I think its midrange sounds slightly hollow and less lifelike (perhaps I'm spoiled by Custom Art products, which have some of the best midrange tuning you'll find anywhere). Then again, it all comes down to personal preference, and the 1More might even be end-game for a lot of people out in the wild.

Apologies for the long message! The 1More is a steal at $100, but I think you're putting a bit too much stock in its capabilities, especially compared to Custom Art products, which are steals in their own right and are tuned with very different intentions, for a very different audience.

Jan 29, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #3,563 of 4,065
  I own the 1More and several Custom Art models, so I'd like to chime in. It seems like you're a big fan of the 1More since you cited its tuning by an Italian Grammy winning sound engineer. I'm positive a lot of companies have renowned sound engineers on their teams, they just don't need to market that information as aggressively as a newer company. I'm also a bit confused about the sound signature you're looking for, and I also think you might be misinformed about a few things.

A three driver IEM isn't necessarily better than a one driver; it's a misconception that more drivers = better. One of the most famous and beloved IEMs on Head-Fi is the Etymotic ER4S, which has just one driver (although it is a $300 product). It's a neutral/analytical IEM though, and it seems like you prefer v-shaped IEMs like the 1More, so I'm not sure if that would be something you would like.

Also, be wary of comparing graphs from different sources. Different reviewers will measure IEMs differently, so it's not right to compare a graph from Headflux with a graph from Custom Art. Maybe find a source with measurements of the IEMs you want to compare, like @crinacle's thread. His 1More and Ei.xx graphs are quite similar, except the Ei.xx appears to have smoother treble.

As you already mentioned, graphs don't tell the entire story; tuning matters much more. 1More has like a +10dB bass boost but it doesn't necessarily feel that way because of how fast it decays. It has elevated treble, which can contribute to clarity and separation, but that can be fatiguing for some over longer periods of listening, and you can have great clarity and separation through good tuning, rather than elevated treble. It's interesting that a lot of the reviews on Head-Fi state that the 1More is a balanced IEM, even though its graph shows it's quite v-shaped (which I agree with). In general, the average consumer appreciates a v-shaped sound, because elevated bass (for the wub wub wub and thump thump thump) and treble (for the feeling of clarity) can be appreciated more readily than a well-tuned midrange. The average consumer also won't be wearing their headphones for hours on end, so treble fatigue isn't as much of an issue. That's why the 1More is tuned as v-shaped: to have an very agreeable sound. At its $100 price point, it is still catering quite a bit to a casual audience. You can give a more casual listener a very expensive balanced/neutral IEM without telling them what it is, and they might find it boring and might even prefer the 1More's v-shaped tuning.

I own the 1More too and I think it's very fun, and a great IEM, especially for $100, but in my opinion, it's overhyped as one of the best IEMs in recent memory, when I think it's just one of the best IEMs for its price in recent memory. I'm relieved it's still less hyped than the TFZ Series 3 (look that one up for some laughs). I'm not satisfied with how quickly the 1More's bass decays, but more importantly, I think its midrange sounds slightly hollow and less lifelike (perhaps I'm spoiled by Custom Art products, which have some of the best midrange tuning you'll find anywhere). Then again, it all comes down to personal preference, and the 1More might even be end-game for a lot of people out in the wild.

Apologies for the long message! The 1More is a steal at $100, but I think you're putting a bit too much stock in its capabilities, especially compared to Custom Art products, which are steals in their own right and are tuned with very different intentions, for a very different audience.

Very great information!
You are right about the V-Shaped sound, look at how many people like Beats or Bose and think they are great when really beats sounds horrible overall.
Many of the reviews even on this website have people praising products that have super V shaped sound too.
But I understand where people sya its more "flat" because as you said the +10db "boost" falls off very fast so these headphones really do not sound like they have any boosted bass.
The mids are a bit recessed but it is actually very clear to the point that I cannot listen to poorly mixed psytrance because the midrange bass "clap" gives me a headache after 30-45 minutes.
Instrument separation is very good to the point that you almost feel like the artist is in front of you (in jazz atleast) but obviously I haven't heard anything like these CIEM's here so I would expect these to be even better (atleast in the higher price tiers).

Obviously this is not a be all end all product or I wouldn't have even bothered to post in this thread. In regards to 1 driver being better than many, I think that if that were the case then the highest end CustomArt IEM's wouldn't have some crazy 8 way armature. But I do understand what you are saying about "more is not always better" because clearly it isn't.

Also in regards to tuning I understand that 1More is a new company and needs to "tout" their tuning more but the reality is that many headphones have little to no tuning or are computer tuned and obviously this makes a difference because the 1More do sound good for their price. I mean look at beats or bose or skullcandy or even some of the Japanese brands like Onkyo/Denon, JVC and Sony... Many of their products don't sound so great especially for their prices (Onkyo did a 3-way IEM that sounds like crap according to most everyone who tested it, and came with a huge price) so I think it really depends on how much time and money the company wants to put into making quality products, and as a business owner myself who also engineers and builds (codes) my own products I spend alot of time building things in such a specific way that is much better (atleast I think so) than some of my larger competitors.

Jan 29, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #3,564 of 4,065
  Instrument separation is very good to the point that you almost feel like the artist is in front of you (in jazz atleast) but obviously I haven't heard anything like these CIEM's here so I would expect these to be even better (atleast in the higher price tiers).

Obviously this is not a be all end all product or I wouldn't have even bothered to post in this thread. In regards to 1 driver being better than many, I think that if that were the case then the highest end CustomArt IEM's wouldn't have some crazy 8 way armature. But I do understand what you are saying about "more is not always better" because clearly it isn't.

Thanks for the clarification. Earlier in the thread, you said:
  The music One is only a single driver though, I doubt it would be comparable in sound to my 1More Triple drivers.

so it seemed like you were sleeping on IEMs with low driver counts. I got quite bothered when I read that since I take great pride in the single driver IEMs I own (Music One and ER4S) and how they can do many things much better than many multi-driver setups!

I think Custom Art's house sound is generally geared more towards coherence rather than separation. That said, do try out the Ei.xx if you can. It's pretty different from all the other Custom Art CIEMs and it has subwoofer-like bass and more lifelike mids than the 1More :)

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:25 AM Post #3,565 of 4,065
I know it has only been a special project for a few customers, but I really think with some refinement that the Anzu would be a great addition to the Custom Art lineup. It has the bass and treble boost which is consumer friendly, but vocals also sound great unlike a lot of v-shaped IEMs.

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:51 AM Post #3,566 of 4,065
  I know it has only been a special project for a few customers, but I really think with some refinement that the Anzu would be a great addition to the Custom Art lineup. It has the bass and treble boost which is consumer friendly, but vocals also sound great unlike a lot of v-shaped IEMs.

Gotta choose which one. There were like 3 versions IIRC 
biggrin.gif

My Anzu might be V-shaped since I did opted for boosted bass, but funnily didn't sound so V-shaped since vocals weren't recessed and bass wasn't boomy and was so detailed.
Kinda reminds me of the HD800 instead but without sibilance or treble peak. The great thing about it was the treble. I really like how airy it was and got great soundstage for CIEM.
Overall it was perfect for me, although not as smooth as Ei.3. Damn now I miss it :frowning2:

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #3,568 of 4,065
  Gotta choose which one. There were like 3 versions IIRC 
biggrin.gif

My Anzu might be V-shaped since I did opted for boosted bass, but funnily didn't sound so V-shaped since vocals weren't recessed and bass wasn't boomy and was so detailed.
Kinda reminds me of the HD800 instead but without sibilance or treble peak. The great thing about it was the treble. I really like how airy it was and got great soundstage for CIEM.
Overall it was perfect for me, although not as smooth as Ei.3. Damn now I miss it :frowning2:

Well, of course I am biased but I think my variation is top class, especially as I originally had the "vanilla" Anzu. I have tried to find something similar as a universal IEM for exercise etc. and nothing comes close. I think its because as somebody said earlier in the thread that Custom Art places importance on coherance. So even though the bass and treble is boosted in my Custom Art product, it doesn't sound unbalanced.

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:44 AM Post #3,569 of 4,065
well i found anzu (the one i had at least from shini) too v-shaped - the mids sounded recessed , to my ears at least and i sold it soon after i got it 
rolleyes.gif

i liked the 8.2 demo way more and found it much more pleasing/coherent/better (although i could not get a good fit with the demo universal fit)

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #3,570 of 4,065
  Which later evolved into Amarok and Anaken and Anzu D.C. and then some
biggrin.gif

I guess I better reclaim what has been lost.

Well, of course I am biased but I think my variation is top class, especially as I originally had the "vanilla" Anzu. I have tried to find something similar as a universal IEM for exercise etc. and nothing comes close. I think its because as somebody said earlier in the thread that Custom Art places importance on coherance. So even though the bass and treble is boosted in my Custom Art product, it doesn't sound unbalanced.

IMO it's the best value CIEM for something in this class.
I've heard other IEMs and well, some did sound smoother and all but nothing actually totally beats it. To be honest I'm pretty reluctant to buy other CIEM other than Anzu.

well i found anzu (the one i had at least from shini) too v-shaped - the mids sounded recessed , to my ears at least and i sold it soon after i got it 
rolleyes.gif

i liked the 8.2 demo way more and found it much more pleasing/coherent/better (although i could not get a good fit with the demo universal fit)

Mine is retuned and it was near perfect. Maybe because you didn't ask for retune :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back