New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and impressions thread
Sep 23, 2014 at 6:03 AM Post #1,561 of 4,065
Yes, it's quite ok source :) specially with rockboxed.

Sep 23, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #1,562 of 4,065
To be honest, Clip+ and latest generation IPC 160gb are good sources when they are Rockbox'd. No, I am not comparing them to HM901 or something but they punch waaaay above their price points.

Sep 23, 2014 at 9:14 AM Post #1,565 of 4,065
  Does clip have enough power to drive H8 well? It must produce 50 percent of what H8 can do :)

Let's say it this way. 

For this size this player has the capability to make the H8 sound like already great ciems. The soundstage, detail and definition is surely not on the same level as my zx1, lows are less precise, but quite impressive. Highs are a little bit sibilant sometimes, but if you don't listen at 100% volume up it's fine. 
Powerwise it lacks probably a bit yes, but it still drives them with plenty of surprises. 

But to put it clearly, no the zip is not the answer to everything.....just to me with my obsession of portability while taking the subway without another screenlike device on me.... 

Sep 23, 2014 at 9:32 AM Post #1,568 of 4,065

Exactly as whoever said - zip is just ok, nothing spectacular. If you connect it to home rig like say Schiit Lyr there will clearly be no competition between those two.

Considering the price and Rockbox software, while the sound can stay just OK, I believe the value goes really high.

To come back to Custom Art ciems, I must admit, today, I chose Music One over my SE5way to use on my way to lab. Man, you created one hell of a ciem with single driver and incredible price. Even a person like me, who absolutely looks for relaxed, polite treble, loves the Music One's high frequencies. It is so revealing yet smooth with nice air. Now that I have no more fit issues or something, I even found bass is very satisfying. No it is not a bone shattering bass but it tells you that something nice is going on low end region. Well, mids, I don't even know how to describe. Best part of the ciem. Gotta love those mids.

I stand on my words, this inexpensive single BA ciem can match against many mid tier ciem and universals. It is seriously that good.

Sep 23, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #1,569 of 4,065
Of course, clip is really good for its price and it is pure magical thing with the rockbox, and real portable source.

Regarding reviews, I am sure that H8/8 Pro would absolutely give its own character to any source to which it is connected. Mean, it would sound beautiful on every source.  

I am so happy to have ordered H8P as a sum.

Ps: AmberOzl, it is nice to hear that Music One produces more than general expectations. 

Sep 23, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #1,570 of 4,065

Finally got a chance to give my H8P some extended run last night and this morning.  So far, I'm very very impressed.  The H8P's soundstage & imaging is something else.. simply jaw dropping.  I absolutely love how it's capable of effortlessly separating sounds/instruments and how precisely I can localize sounds.  The fluid presentation is nothing short of panoramic.. easily the most immersive IEM experience I've heard.  Resolving ability is also quite noteworthy.  Again, the H8P is able to dig out very minute details in a very effortless manner.. quite "e-stat" like in this regard.

I'd like to spend more time with them before commenting on the sound/signature.. but it's very much along the lines of what I hoped for.  I feel Piotr really nailed what he was going for as far as tuning: the sonic marriage of mainstream/consumer and pro sensibilities.. in a "harmonic" manner.  The H8P is gently colored.. it's clear there's an artful, carefully constructed approach at play here.. I'm excited to continue listening.  More impressions are surely to come.. and a more thorough, formal review (time permitting).

Sep 24, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #1,573 of 4,065

Finally got a chance to give my H8P some extended run last night and this morning.  So far, I'm very very impressed.  The H8P's soundstage & imaging is something else.. simply jaw dropping.  I absolutely love how it's capable of effortlessly separating sounds/instruments and how precisely I can localize sounds.  The fluid presentation is nothing short of panoramic.. easily the most immersive IEM experience I've heard.  Resolving ability is also quite noteworthy.  Again, the H8P is able to dig out very minute details in a very effortless manner.. quite "e-stat" like in this regard.

I'd like to spend more time with them before commenting on the sound/signature.. but it's very much along the lines of what I hoped for.  I feel Piotr really nailed what he was going for as far as tuning: the sonic marriage of mainstream/consumer and pro sensibilities.. in a "harmonic" manner.  The H8P is gently colored.. it's clear there's an artful, carefully constructed approach at play here.. I'm excited to continue listening.  More impressions are surely to come.. and a more thorough, formal review (time permitting).

Nice shell !

Could you compare them with your UERM ?

Sep 25, 2014 at 2:08 AM Post #1,574 of 4,065
  Could you compare them with your UERM ?

Early impressions.. the UERM's tuning is flatter (not surprising).. the UERM's presentation sounds (comparatively) more upfront, aggressive (but I find the UERM to possess a surprisingly spacious stage, if the mastering of a track intends it to be).. notes have more thickness via the UERM.  The H8P has cleaner instrument separation, is more resolving, images better, and possesses a larger soundstage.

I can't state enough just how utterly impressed I am with the H8P's stage and imaging.  It's, quite simply, addictive.  I've owned my share of customs that image well and/or boast an excellent soundstage (UM Miracle, JH13 FP, etc.).. as well as the HD800.. so this quality isn't new to me.. but the H8P's spatial abilities seriously blew me away.  The fact that's all I've really talked about in my last two posts should indicate as much.

Sep 25, 2014 at 6:19 AM Post #1,575 of 4,065
Thank you and sorry, take your time :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back