New - Cowon Plenue S
Apr 10, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #376 of 1,158
Cowon isn't trendy that's why. Most of AK's products is overpriced IMO, yet the AK thread is pumping. Being overpriced is not a deterrent in this hobby.

Well maybe it has to do with 10% more power + DE output = doubling in in price versus Plenue 1. And still no connectivity.
In the end this is just horrendous specs vs price ratio.Most people won't spend 2000$ on subjective SQ alone, especially with very scarce places to test DAPs seriously.

Regarding AK, same boat, plus flashy design and better marketing --> works in this forum, but I'd be curious to see wordlwide sales, must still be VERY confidential.

Apr 10, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #377 of 1,158
seriously, the ak flagships are moving surprisingly well for us 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 10, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #378 of 1,158
I think $1k should be the absolute limit for any DAP. I paid $800 for the P1. I really like it, but it's still expensive. That's more than any flagship smartphone. I wonder what is true cost to develop these. I guess if you are only selling a free thousand units world wide, you have to raise the price per unit.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Apr 10, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #379 of 1,158
Well maybe it has to do with 10% more power + DE output = doubling in in price versus Plenue 1. And still no connectivity.
In the end this is just horrendous specs vs price ratio.Most people won't spend 2000$ on subjective SQ alone, especially with very scarce places to test DAPs seriously.

Regarding AK, same boat, plus flashy design and better marketing --> works in this forum, but I'd be curious to see wordlwide sales, must still be VERY confidential.

I feel like a lack of connectivity is a positive not a negative. Any serious audiophile grade DAP should be about SQ not gimmicks like BT and Wifi. All that can easily be done with my smartphone, I pay for SQ not connectivity.

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #380 of 1,158
I feel like a lack of connectivity is a positive not a negative. Any serious audiophile grade DAP should be about SQ not gimmicks like BT and Wifi. All that can easily be done with my smartphone, I pay for SQ not connectivity.

Arguably and personal preferably so ? Because I care about Bluetooth and wifi, hence the reason why I love my Zx2. Now, even AK240/380 is that expensive, but because they have more connectivity, so they are more appealing to the bigger mass than this unit, period.

Not everyone want to be stuck in the Stone Age, and smartphone can not sound as good as a DAP :D

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #381 of 1,158
Arguably and personal preferably so ? Because I care about Bluetooth and wifi, hence the reason why I love my Zx2. Now, even AK240/380 is that expensive, but because they have more connectivity, so they are more appealing to the bigger mass than this unit, period.

Not everyone want to be stuck in the Stone Age, and smartphone can not sound as good as a DAP :D

That's fine, I was talking about myself personally. I've barely touched my ZX2 since acquiring the Plenue S. The ZX2 is awfully underpowered for my tastes, I have to use an external amp if I want to enjoy ZX2's full potential and frankly even with its connectivity you still can't use Apple Music app because it will never get an update to its android. Also why would I ever use a lossy connection such as BT? The whole point of an expensive DAP for me is to enjoy the best SQ that I can, NOT use it with BT headphones, that defeats the whole purpose.

Apr 10, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #382 of 1,158
I think the iPhone/iPad can sound quite good as could the old iPod 160 but they are nowhere near what the P1 sounds like never mind the S! I'm happy to have the phone and tablet do the connectivity and not pay for poor versions of same built into what is a music player... as a Mac user I am glad Cowon doesn't use Android which makes copying 100s GB of files a real hassle where as the Cowon and any MicoSD card just appear as volumes on the desktop...

I do agree Cowon seem to have little interest in advertising these devices in Europe or America and therefore there is very little 'buzz' and the S has had (as far as I can tell) exactly no 'professional reviews' in English! A review model to HiFi+ and TAS wouldn't go a miss or perhaps Cowon are only really interested in the SE Asia market which worries me because it doesn't necessarily ague well for the continuation of this line of players

BTW does anyone know anything about when the Doc or any other accessories will be out?

Apr 11, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #383 of 1,158
  I think the iPhone/iPad can sound quite good as could the old iPod 160 but they are nowhere near what the P1 sounds like never mind the S! I'm happy to have the phone and tablet do the connectivity and not pay for poor versions of same built into what is a music player... as a Mac user I am glad Cowon doesn't use Android which makes copying 100s GB of files a real hassle where as the Cowon and any MicoSD card just appear as volumes on the desktop...

I do agree Cowon seem to have little interest in advertising these devices in Europe or America and therefore there is very little 'buzz' and the S has had (as far as I can tell) exactly no 'professional reviews' in English! A review model to HiFi+ and TAS wouldn't go a miss or perhaps Cowon are only really interested in the SE Asia market which worries me because it doesn't necessarily ague well for the continuation of this line of players

BTW does anyone know anything about when the Doc or any other accessories will be out?

Got the S recently switched from a zx2 and love it!  The sound is just more engaging.
Low end is more solid but it is the mid-range which is super sweet. The high end is there if you listen carefully but IMHO there is so much more going on below that you may think the high end is weak but it's not. As far as reviews go they probably don't know how to get that PR machine cranking but it's got good endorsements from professional recording engineers and musicians alike so maybe they are asking the wrong people!!??? err not

p.s. Using it with Noble K10u + DHA Silver 8 braid in balanced TRRS

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #384 of 1,158
Should have the S coming in tomorrow, currently got the QP1R and X7, so will be good to see how they all sound against each other. Have had the P1 and ZX2 in the past as well; reading the posts here, there isn't much between the sound between the S, P1 and ZX2 from SE? Also, for balanced, is the TRRS connector that is used with the ZX2 okay to use with the S?

When you guys mention a dark signature, what does that mean exactly?

Apr 13, 2016 at 6:51 AM Post #385 of 1,158
Should have the S coming in tomorrow, currently got the QP1R and X7, so will be good to see how they all sound against each other. Have had the P1 and ZX2 in the past as well; reading the posts here, there isn't much between the sound between the S, P1 and ZX2 from SE? Also, for balanced, is the TRRS connector that is used with the ZX2 okay to use with the S?

When you guys mention a dark signature, what does that mean exactly?

TRRS with the zx2 works fined with the s on balanced!
The s , zx2 and the ak380 are completely different animals.

I wouldn't use dark but rich, warm lush and inviting definitely but you can play with th Eq so....

Apr 13, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #387 of 1,158
Hey guys I have a Rhapsodio Silver Litz 8-strand cable for sale, with 3.5 trrs plug terminated for Hifiman/Plenue S/ZX2 and 2-pin connectors.

It is a high resolution cable with black background and cold mid-bass presentation which gives it excellent separation.It does have some microphonics; I'm personally never bothered by it because I do listening on the go, but it can be annoying if you're listening at a desk.

Retails at $600. Looking for 300 euro plus fees.

Please PM if interested. I will check if there is any interest at the end of the week, if not I'll have it reterminated to trs and put it up for sale.

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #389 of 1,158
Listening to my S now with my CE6Ps and man, it's going to be hard putting this baby down. It's very similar sounding to the QP1R but with slightly more body and texture to the music, bass goes a bit deeper too. It's a lovely smooth and engaging sound. One more thing, the soundstage is incredible, the music truly does come alive around you. And that's just the SE output!  Goodness knows what's in store with the balanced output.  I used to have the P1 which was great but can't remember being this impressed with it.

Goodbye QP1R and X7.

Apr 14, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #390 of 1,158
Listening to my S now with my CE6Ps and man, it's going to be hard putting this baby down. It's very similar sounding to the QP1R but with slightly more body and texture to the music, bass goes a bit deeper too. It's a lovely smooth and engaging sound. One more thing, the soundstage is incredible, the music truly does come alive around you. And that's just the SE output!  Goodness knows what's in store with the balanced output.  I used to have the P1 which was great but can't remember being this impressed with it.

Goodbye QP1R and X7.
Plus great easy UI.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back