New - Cowon Plenue S
Apr 14, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #392 of 1,158
The sound on this player is insane! It reminds me of the sound from the Sony ZX2 using the balanced TRRS cable but better.  I can't wait to try out the balanced connection. It baffles me that there isn't a lot of press about this player as it really is lovely.

Apr 14, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #393 of 1,158
  The sound on this player is insane! It reminds me of the sound from the Sony ZX2 using the balanced TRRS cable but better.  I can't wait to try out the balanced connection. It baffles me that there isn't a lot of press about this player as it really is lovely.

Glad you're liking it! I really do enjoy mine, my concerns about price/performance ratio notwithstanding. I think it's a great piece of kit, and one that I probably use more along with my CIEMs than any other piece of audio equipment I own.

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #394 of 1,158

Cowon don't do press much, the S retails for $2800AUD in Australia making it a very niche device available to only a very small proportion of the population that are able to afford one.

Apr 14, 2016 at 7:41 PM Post #395 of 1,158
  Listening to my S now with my CE6Ps and man, it's going to be hard putting this baby down. It's very similar sounding to the QP1R but with slightly more body and texture to the music, bass goes a bit deeper too. It's a lovely smooth and engaging sound. One more thing, the soundstage is incredible, the music truly does come alive around you. And that's just the SE output!  Goodness knows what's in store with the balanced output.  I used to have the P1 which was great but can't remember being this impressed with it.

Goodbye QP1R and X7.

On balanced I think the bass is even better. Better field separation and image stability (if that is even possible on IEM's... :)

Apr 15, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #396 of 1,158
  Glad you're liking it! I really do enjoy mine, my concerns about price/performance ratio notwithstanding. I think it's a great piece of kit, and one that I probably use more along with my CIEMs than any other piece of audio equipment I own.

Yeah, the price is the only downside of the player and quite a jump from the P1. I enjoying the sound more on the S over the P1 but to charge nearly double for it is a bit much to say the least. I do think it's the best all-rounder I've had; it's like the Paw Gold and ZX2 rolled into one. If it had the battery life of ZX2 then it would be perfect.

Cowon don't do press much, the S retails for $2800AUD in Australia making it a very niche device available to only a very small proportion of the population that are able to afford one.

It's a shame as they're missing a trick there, why build such a great product and not push it.  Even the Paw Gold has got more press and reviews and that's around the same price. I personally think it's a better all round player than the PG.

On balanced I think the bass is even better. Better field separation and image stability (if that is even possible on IEM's... :)

Can't wait to listen to that. I'm hoping that Linum will build one of their new Super Bax cables with a TRRS plus. I have T2 connectors whgich limits what I can do with re-termination.

Apr 15, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #398 of 1,158
Surprisingly there are still no reviews of this player out yet, but people consider it superior to Lotoo Paw Gold.
If then battery would have been around 10 hours or more this would have been nearly perfect
Does anyone know the real power output?

I know, I find it quite surprising for a player this good. Even the P1 had a few reviews. Someone summed the sound up perfectly in an earlier post, they said it was effortless. Everything is just so perfectly balanced, it just oozes class.  Orchestral music for instance is full of clarity and properly takes you there without straining the player. Every instrument comes through with natural vibrancy.

It would be great if the battery life was longer but 8 hours isn't the end of the world. I have no idea about the power output, if I have my CIEMs at 50 %, that's verging on too loud.

Apr 15, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #399 of 1,158
Surprisingly there are still no reviews of this player out yet, but people consider it superior to Lotoo Paw Gold.
If then battery would have been around 10 hours or more this would have been nearly perfect
Does anyone know the real power output?

Every spec is on the Cowon website.

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:03 PM Post #401 of 1,158
My new Cowon Plenue S arrived today and I had the chance to compare it to my Astell & Kern AK240 as well as to an AK320 and an AK380, both brought by a friend.

The Plenue S drove both HD 800 S and HE-1000 easily, even unbalanced. No AK Player is able to do this without further amplification (AK 380 Amp). I found bass and mids of the Plenue S a bit better than those of AK320 and AK240. It has more air too. Treble and resolution seem to be a slight advantage of the Astells. The Plenue S offers much possibilities to customize the sound to your liking. So the Plenue S surprised me in a positive way!

Another suprise to me was the AK380 Copper (with AK380Amp). It sounds really great and is a big step-up compared to the AK320. Its sound signature is more comparable to the AK240, but the AK380 is really an AK240 on steroids! Wow!!! Very detailled, with really analogue sound. Great!
L3000.gif

Considering its light weight, compactness, great software, flexibility, and great amplification, the Plenue S is really a big bang for the buck. Without further amplification, it is the best DAP on the market to me, soundwise only trumped by the AK380 if used together with AK380amp.
gs1000.gif

Apr 18, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #404 of 1,158
Apr 18, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #405 of 1,158

Users who are viewing this thread

Back