New - Cowon Plenue S
May 31, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #1,126 of 1,158
And now we’re talking about repairs…

Hi,

I’m new here at Head-fi, though I’ve been following the site for some time now. I live in the UK and I was hoping some of you guys could help me with one thing. I own a PS that recently developed a fault in the screen. It shows no image, though the player still works and detects touch.

Does anybody here know where I could send it for repair? I tried to reach Cowon, but to no avail. I contacted the guys from amp3 as well, but they don’t do repairs anymore. Any advice would be appreciated.

May 31, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #1,127 of 1,158
And now we’re talking about repairs…

Hi,

I’m new here at Head-fi, though I’ve been following the site for some time now. I live in the UK and I was hoping some of you guys could help me with one thing. I own a PS that recently developed a fault in the screen. It shows no image, though the player still works and detects touch.

Does anybody here know where I could send it for repair? I tried to reach Cowon, but to no avail. I contacted the guys from amp3 as well, but they don’t do repairs anymore. Any advice would be appreciated.
Try contacting Nayparm, I believe he's located in the UK. He does modifications and has previous posted about a Plenue S repair on this thread: https://www.npaudio.uk/modifications

Jun 28, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #1,129 of 1,158
Try contacting Nayparm, I believe he's located in the UK. He does modifications and has previous posted about a Plenue S repair on this thread: https://www.npaudio.uk/modifications
Hi and thank you very much for the advice. I did contact him and he managed to repair my unit in no time. A very nice guy and he clearly knows his trade. My PS is just like new now.

Aug 29, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #1,130 of 1,158
Just bought this. I was expecting more from the sound. It seems dry and not as developed as I expected coming up from the P1. It sounds like the Ampy sound has ruined the special DAC sound of the P1. So I'm wondering is the P1 actually superior and the PS is different and more expensive only because of the balanced output. But anyway, I still enjoy it. It does seem to have a supremacy sound, more electronic raw and good for my Existence Theory music. It sound hollow, rustic and laid back compared to the P1 which is more thick gel type sound which is more colourful and value concentrated. It was a worthwhile purchase from Cowon. I can't stop listening to it! More subtle value....

Sep 23, 2021 at 8:38 PM Post #1,131 of 1,158
Just bought this. I was expecting more from the sound. It seems dry and not as developed as I expected coming up from the P1. It sounds like the Ampy sound has ruined the special DAC sound of the P1. So I'm wondering is the P1 actually superior and the PS is different and more expensive only because of the balanced output. But anyway, I still enjoy it. It does seem to have a supremacy sound, more electronic raw and good for my Existence Theory music. It sound hollow, rustic and laid back compared to the P1 which is more thick gel type sound which is more colourful and value concentrated. It was a worthwhile purchase from Cowon. I can't stop listening to it! More subtle value....
I am crazy because I have 2 P1, 2 PS, 1 PL and 1 P2. + others...

Order top (best)
PS
P1
PL
P1
P2
PS
Why did I keep duplicates? ....despite having the customary delicious sounding cowon signature/tone, I still manage to hear quantifiable sound signature differences. P1-P1 or PS-PS different ..(with exactly same jet effect on each pair). NOTE, all sounds golden with Grado GS 3000e though.

The PS at the bottom was the last one bought from amazon (about $600 can't remember exactly how much ..new on sale by cowon then few years ago). It was great but outperformed by pretty much everything else. Most people that auditioned it love it till they listen to the others; it just sounds off.
However, unlike your experience, definitely fuller with much better 3D sound signature than both P1, deficiency mostly magnified by the sound coming from the other PS. The P1 smoothness shines through all the time.

Key advise. Jet effect is your friend and at least 500 listen hours. The sound signature changes over time. Also, do not attempt to use same jet effect you have on P1 on PS, will def sound worse than P1.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #1,132 of 1,158

Order top (best)
PS
P1
PL
P1
P2
PS
Why did I keep duplicates? ....despite having the customary delicious sounding cowon signature/tone, I still manage to hear quantifiable sound signature differences. P1-P1 or PS-PS different ..(with exactly same jet effect on each pair). NOTE, all sounds golden with Grado GS 3000e though.

The PS at the bottom was the last one bought from amazon (about $600 can't remember exactly how much ..new on sale by cowon then few years ago). It was great but outperformed by pretty much everything else. Most people that auditioned it love it till they listen to the others; it just sounds off.
However, unlike your experience, definitely fuller with much better 3D sound signature than both P1, deficiency mostly magnified by the sound coming from the other PS. The P1 smoothness shines through all the time.

Key advise. Jet effect is your friend and at least 500 listen hours. The sound signature changes over time. Also, do not attempt to use same jet effect you have on P1 on PS, will def sound worse than P1.
I like the PS then PM2.

Sep 23, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #1,133 of 1,158

Order top (best)
PS
P1
PL
P1
P2
PS

So your most favorite and least favorite are the same model? That’s so strange to me.

Sep 24, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #1,134 of 1,158

Order top (best)
PS
P1
PL
P1
P2
PS

You are right, you cannot use the same EQ settings on different DAPs. Basically they all are tuned differently including Cowon's own line up.

PM2 has more bass body than any DAP I have heard, it's sound is so smooth, analog, fun and at the same time very natural.

EQ, BBE, Mach3bass and the excellently tuned BBE presets BUT you need to choose the right gear to pair.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #1,135 of 1,158
How do people rate the Plenue S against current day daps. I'm looking for something a bit different for my collection and this Plenue S mod at NPAudio caught my eye...

1868.jpg

... also the Plenue L mod but that dap is a bit pricey and probably not as analog sounding? I have an N6ii/R01 and a Hiby RS6 so like analogy sound. The RS6 mod they do is also of interest. Has anyone used NPAudio, if they are any good I'm now spoilt for choice 🤔😂

Jan 8, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #1,136 of 1,158
How do people rate the Plenue S against current day daps. I'm looking for something a bit different for my collection and this Plenue S mod at NPAudio caught my eye...

1868.jpg

... also the Plenue L mod but that dap is a bit pricey and probably not as analog sounding? I have an N6ii/R01 and a Hiby RS6 so like analogy sound. The RS6 mod they do is also of interest. Has anyone used NPAudio, if they are any good I'm now spoilt for choice 🤔😂
How much does such a modification cost?

Jan 8, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #1,137 of 1,158

1868.jpg

The PS is my top 3 dap.

Jan 8, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #1,140 of 1,158

Users who are viewing this thread

Back