New - Cowon Plenue S
Dec 13, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #991 of 1,158
It's all so subjective though, you're saying that you like the opus 1s better in ways ($400 DAP) and earlier I saw someone say the S is MUCH better than the $1100 Sony WM1A ... Man I wish I had somewhere to Audition stuff.
It's not the matter of which is better, he said it pairs well with #1 or he like that signature. But overall S is definite a upgrade over #1.
I compared Cayin N5II and Opus#1. I liked N5II better as it has good extension on both the ends while sounding more musical.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2018 at 4:58 PM Post #992 of 1,158
It's not the matter of which is better, he said it pairs well with #1 or he like that signature. But overall S is definite a upgrade over #1.
I compared Cayin N5II and Opus#1. I liked N5II better as it has good extension on both the ends while sounding more musical.
Yeah, I'm probably going with the plenue 2, but I'm just bidng my time watching jets listings since they do seem to be dropping a little further now and then. They say they have 10 p2s left, so my guess is it'll go lower, they have 8 PS left and 2 p2mkii left. I messaged them to poke and ask if they will going down more but they didn't spill the beans. Be great to snag a p2mkii at a fantastic price....

Dec 13, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #993 of 1,158
Yeah, I'm probably going with the plenue 2, but I'm just bidng my time watching jets listings since they do seem to be dropping a little further now and then. They say they have 10 p2s left, so my guess is it'll go lower, they have 8 PS left and 2 p2mkii left. I messaged them to poke and ask if they will going down more but they didn't spill the beans. Be great to snag a p2mkii at a fantastic price....
Yes further price drop would really great now. P2 mk2 has a little more power in balanced but it's on the brighter side, I don't like brighter signature. That's why decided to go with S. Any comparisons between the two would be wonderful.

Dec 15, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #994 of 1,158
There is a 10% coupon for eBay today dropping the S to $640. I'm so tempted. I don't listen to DAPs that much any more but gosh I miss the Cowon house sound.

Dec 16, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #999 of 1,158
I wanted to buy a Plenue 2 MKII with the AKM chip but I am leaning towards not buying. I own the original Plenue P1 with the BurrBrown TI chip and yes it does sound good but it and these new players do not contain a dedicated line out to connect to my home hifi system. No matter how they try to advertise that the headphone jack is dual purpose, there is an impedance mismatch where even a cheap $50 cd player sounds better when connected by line out to my preamp. Also, they aren't listing the real power output - I would like to know if it is able to drive my Hd650 (my fav headphones) directly without an external amp. I have a Cary Audio Dac that uses the AKM dac and it sounds phenomenal but want a true line out in a portable. My IBASSO D100 has a true line out and it sounds good but I can't stand the slow boot up times and the UI. Does anyone know how much power output the P2 MKII puts out in comparison to the P1?

BTW, the Axon 7 phone (also uses AKM) is almost able to drive my HD650 without an external amp. Trump messed up things with ZTE. I was looking forward to the next model.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #1,000 of 1,158
I wanted to buy a Plenue 2 MKII with the AKM chip but I am leaning towards not buying. I own the original Plenue P1 with the BurrBrown TI chip and yes it does sound good but it and these new players do not contain a dedicated line out to connect to my home hifi system. No matter how they try to advertise that the headphone jack is dual purpose, there is an impedance mismatch where even a cheap $50 cd player sounds better when connected by line out to my preamp. Also, they aren't listing the real power output - I would like to know if it is able to drive my Hd650 (my fav headphones) directly without an external amp. I have a Cary Audio Dac that uses the AKM dac and it sounds phenomenal but want a true line out in a portable. My IBASSO D100 has a true line out and it sounds good but I can't stand the slow boot up times and the UI. Does anyone know how much power output the P2 MKII puts out in comparison to the P1?

BTW, the Axon 7 phone (also uses AKM) is almost able to drive my HD650 without an external amp. Trump messed up things with ZTE. I was looking forward to the next model.
P2 MKII balanced - 3.24 Vrms (330mW@32, 35mW@300)
P1 - 2 Vrms (125mW@32, 13mW@300)
PL - 4.05 Vrms (513mW@32, 55mW@300)

P2MKII and PL have enough power to drive any 300ohms cans.

Jan 24, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #1,001 of 1,158
Any news on when a new flagship is coming from Cowon ? Also, how does the current top of the line model ( I believe the Plenue L or R but I am not certain) sound in comparison to the old Plenue S? Coming down with a severe case of upgraditiis and I can't control myself :)....

I know members Jmills and sound eq will be all over a new Plenue flagship

Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #1,003 of 1,158
Any news on when a new flagship is coming from Cowon ? Also, how does the current top of the line model ( I believe the Plenue L or R but I am not certain) sound in comparison to the old Plenue S? Coming down with a severe case of upgraditiis and I can't control myself :)....

I know members Jmills and sound eq will be all over a new Plenue flagship

Thanks
Ha
20190115_190826.jpg

Jan 24, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #1,004 of 1,158
Jan 24, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #1,005 of 1,158
S, remains the top on the set of technical characteristics inherent in it. The rest of the players only coming to him. Of course L is close to the pedestal but there is already included a personal preference for the nature of the sound formed by the audio DACs installed in the players. I personally like BB1992 than Sabre 9038.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back