New - Cowon Plenue S
Jan 31, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #136 of 1,158
I still can not just myself enough to spend $1900 on the Plenue S...it uses single DAC where as AK240/380 at least use dual DAC....why is it so expensive when it has the same DAC as the 1 ? Not to mention the femto clocks on ak units

Jan 31, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #137 of 1,158
I had the AK240 and DX90 and the single dac Plenue M sounds better.

Jan 31, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #139 of 1,158

it uses Linux and on the P1 it is ultra responsive - updating the database after adding 10GB worth of FLACs on the external microSD takes literally 20 seconds! also no Android nonsense on the Mac - the P1 and microSD mount as external drives and the speed of copy depends on the USB speed of your Mac... it also supports multiple artwork on FLACs so I am able to embed up to 6 concert photos, tickets, etc. for each track and the UI cycles through them when playing -- since 90% of my 300BG on the P1 (128GB internal and 200GB microSD which equates to 300GB usable space for music) is live GD then the artwork bit is just amazing.

I was sceptical about the EQ - my hi-fi is all naim so very 'flat earth' and anti twiddling with EQ - but the P1 EQ allows a myriad of fine tuning which can be saved as numbered use pre-set - which is perfect since each year of GD performances had different sound issues (e.g. cassette SDB sources for the early 80s) which I can address in a way I can't on my hi-fi.

I am not thrilled they have doubled the price for the S and that they aren't doubling the internal memory to 256GB but if the internal amp really is much better so I never need to consider a separate amp to use with my LCD-X and if the balanced output is as good as it might be then I think this will be worth the money

Jan 31, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #140 of 1,158
Oh...it doesn't seem that it has Bluetooth or wifi or anything like that as features ? Where as AK does, also it doesn't have femto clock, however the DAC chips has built in femto clock.

So a raw DAP only ? Hmm very hard to just the pricing, eventhough I don't ever stream or use anything wirelessly on my dap, I still prefer OTA upgrades instead

Feb 1, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #141 of 1,158
One of the best parts about the Cowon players is the lack of any kind of interference one gets with bluetooth and wi fi and other nonsense DAP maker try to squeeze in. Just music and nothing else is one of the reasons the P1 and other Plenue players sound so good. 

Feb 1, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #142 of 1,158
The reason why A&K is so expensive is the great R&D into resisting sensitivity, shielding against interferences while having Bluetooth and wifi built in, and together with USB DAC capability. The next thing in line that is capable of such is Onkyo DP-X11, which is sub $1000....but I doubt it is anything even close to S&K in sound signature :D...man, did I really just convince myself in A&K ? No way, I hate their pricing astrocity

Feb 1, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #143 of 1,158
The reason why A&K is so expensive is the great R&D into resisting sensitivity, shielding against interferences while having Bluetooth and wifi built in, and together with USB DAC capability. The next thing in line that is capable of such is Onkyo DP-X11, which is sub $1000....but I doubt it is anything even close to S&K in sound signature
biggrin.gif
...man, did I really just convince myself in A&K ? No way, I hate their pricing astrocity

Cowon P1 has comparable function and performance with AK240.

Feb 1, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #146 of 1,158
The reason why A&K is so expensive is the great R&D into resisting sensitivity, shielding against interferences while having Bluetooth and wifi built in, and together with USB DAC capability. The next thing in line that is capable of such is Onkyo DP-X11, which is sub $1000....but I doubt it is anything even close to S&K in sound signature
biggrin.gif
...man, did I really just convince myself in A&K ? No way, I hate their pricing astrocity

I do have respect for iRiver's engineering team.

But please don't fool yourself - the reason A&K DAPs are so expensive is because of fat, fat profit margins. Do you realise an AK240/380 will (roughly-speaking) net the dealer around a thousand bucks per sale?

Cowon are trying to jump on the bandwagon, price-wise, which is sad to see, even though I appreciate them upping-their-game from a technical standpoint - it has been obvious to everyone in the industry that Cowon were being left behind by almost everyone, and they had to drastically revise their company approach to the marketplace. They've decided to follow iRiver and go premium - it's just a pity that they aren't doing that without price-gouging.

This has the danger (for DAP customers), that it may add momentum to the upwards-spiral of price for TOTL DAPs, across the industry, started by iRiver a couple of years ago.

On the flip-side, the Chinese are getting better & better & better, with their DAPs, as time goes by.

It's an interesting time for the DAP industry...       Increasing public awareness of higher-performance sound reproduction, on the move, so a gradually-increasing potential global market for premium DAPs.

In the short-term (2 yrs ago - up until the future couple of years), this may provide rich-pickings for Korean companies looking to price-gouge, but I see this as short-sighted, in many ways.

In the longer-term (maybe 4-5years), I predict the Chinese DAPs will evolve to be so good that they will seriously go toe-to-toe with the performance of the Korean DAPs, and this may eventually mean that the Koreans end up like beached whales, with a dwindling number of customers willing to line their pockets for marginal differences over their Chinese competitors.

I feel the only area the Koreans are likely to remain ahead of the Chinese, for a while longer than the hardware aspect, is in the refinement & polish of the firmware & user interface. This is because there is such a strong firmware-engineering base in South Korea, on account of the smartphone industry (Samsung, LG, etc.). The stupidity of the Koreans is that they have all the necessary engineering resources to produce TOTL at sensible prices, and could take the market by storm. Just look at what the Korean smartphone makers are capable of producing, for substantially under $1000. Even allowing for differences in economies of scale, between thousands of DAPs and hundreds of thousands (sometimes millions) of phones, the point is that the fundamental engineering technology, and manufacturing technology, is very much the same.

For all that, and in spite of the obnoxious pricing, I do think the Plenue S looks like a lovely piece of kit, and I'd very much like to hear it.
beerchug.gif

Feb 1, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #148 of 1,158
Feb 1, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #150 of 1,158
Is there any consensus (maybe on the Korean forums, which I can't read), about whether the Plenue series are better for cans or for CIEMs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back