NEW COMPUTER
Nov 10, 2001 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 95

CRESCENDOPOWER

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been researching this computer thing for a little while now, and I think I am narrowing things down.
I have looked at many different brands of 19" CRT monitors like: Viewsonic, Princeton, Hitachi, Samsung, NEC, Mag, Mitsubishi, and Sony. The one that I liked the best was the Sony CPD-G400 without a doubt. It's a little more expensive than the others, but I think it is worth it.
As for the CPU, I think I am just going to custom order one from Micron. I was told that they have an incredible reputation for quality, service, and support.
So, what do you computer authorities think? Am I leaning in the right direction, or what?
Thanks!

Nov 10, 2001 at 3:37 AM Post #3 of 95
Pricewatch is only half of the equation. If you look up prices there, and then check feedback on any promising sites on Reseller Ratings, it's awfully tough to go wrong. Any site w/ a rating above a 6 (out of 7) should be a safe bet. Be sure to check the comments as well.

Nov 10, 2001 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 95
I think EMR from CRT monitors is very bad for you. Especially the really big CRT's. Then again I spend many hours a day with computers... In fact often over 10 a day.

"If I am not in front of my computer I do not know where I am, there are no other places. Perhaps I am sleeping but even that is unlikely. Away from my computer is space which I do not understand, I even believe sometimes that I am my computer, that we are one, unified somehow. There are things in the world but I do not like them, I like my computer, I like myself in the computer..."

Remember that a CRT monitor basically works by firing electrons in the general direction of youe face. Is this so bad you ask? Sometimes I have come away from a CRT feeling like I was in the sun all day. They are dangerous IMO and should be replaced with an LCD as soon as possible.

Nov 10, 2001 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 95
aiOtron, I have seen some LCD monitors that have digital, and analog inputs. Will there be an improvement with a digital signal verses, and analog signal?
Do I need a specific video card to get this digital signal, or what. Any information will be appreciated. Thank you.

Nov 10, 2001 at 7:12 PM Post #6 of 95
I just got a Planar 18.1" LCD monitor and it looks great. One reason I got it, though, was for its DVI input, only to find out that even my rather-new card (ATI Radeon DDR w/ 64MB of RAM) only has S-Video, Composite, and VGA outputs. Bummer, huh. Anyway, check what kind of input each digital LCD monitor has which you're researching. If it has BNC input, check your video card for a BNC output. If it has a 24-pin DVI input, check your video card for a 24-pin DVI output. Some high-end monitors come with good video cards, though -- so be on the lookout for those as well.
wink.gif
Good luck!

Nov 10, 2001 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 95
There are cables that have allow you to use a standard video card output with BNC monitors and it does make a large difference.

Nov 11, 2001 at 12:15 AM Post #10 of 95
forget about desktops. They take up too much space. I replaced my desktop with a Sony Vaio FX-290 notebook. piii 1GHZ processor, 512 mb ram, 30gb hd, 15.1" xga video 1400 x 1050 resolution. 8x dvd/cdrw. dual li-on batteries (about 6 hrs full power). integrated LAN. pretty hard to beat combined with my linksys dsl router, not to mention my TA & beyer dt 250-80's (or sony v6)....

Nov 11, 2001 at 3:28 AM Post #11 of 95
dot pitch and video card are the most important parts to how good the screen looks when using 2d mode. You should get a monitor that supports resolutions two or three steps above what you will be using, so you can set the refresh rate to a flicker free level.

For video cards, do not get a Geforce 2 if you are looking for 2d crispness. ATI Radeon, Matrox G200/400, and the Geforce 3 are generaly considered to have the sharpest 2d, kind of in that order. This IMO is the most important part for a good 2d experience.

ai0tron, I'm willing to bet you get more EMR from being outside than you do from sitting in front of your monitor., I bet you are just using an improperly configured monitor, bad refresh rate/resolution combination.

Nov 11, 2001 at 7:28 AM Post #13 of 95
Ya, listen to Bubba
smily_headphones1.gif
ATI and Matrox make killer 2d cards. 3DFX had a good thing goin' in the 2d realm with their voodoo3s, but they're ded (RIP).

The Radeon seems like the best bet, as it can do everything
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2001 at 4:34 PM Post #14 of 95
Well, I say that you should stick w/ CRT's at this point. They are a lot cheaper and a lot better looking than most LCD tech. I also really, really doubt that there is any danger in the EMR from CRT's. Untill someone gets some sort of scientific measurements done that proves there is a danger, I'll keep saying that it's harmless.

I have had a Sony Multiscan100sx for a few years now, and it's been a great monitor. By now it's very small (15"), but it displays everything quite clearly and accurately. Both my roommate and another friend of mine own the G400 from Sony. From what I've seen, it is an excellent choice.

I also suggest that you start in and build the machine yourself. I would not skimp on the case [I have an Antec SX8?0 -- it's either the SX830 or SX840 ... I forget now. I strongly recommend it, though], and I would not shell out that much cash for the latest processors. There's not much that'll stress anything today; I'm running a Duron 650, and even that is approaching overkill.
If you have any other questions, concerns, let us know.

Nov 11, 2001 at 7:13 PM Post #15 of 95
I agree with everything rlaskey is saying. LCD monitors don't really make a lot of sense right now. LCD monitors don't respond as quickly as CRT's, so the picture will sometimes seem to smear. You also can't change resolutions (except by scaling). And they're just way too expensive. The best display system is still CRT. CRT has the best contrast and highest resolutions. The only problem with CRT is that screen size tops out at about 36". If you want a really detailed 19" monitor, you should get the monitor I have, the Samsung SyncMaster 950p. This won a bunch of awards. The last time I checked, PCWorld was still ranking it number 1 for price/performance. It costed about $250. You can very easily read text at 2048x1536.

I also think it's a good idea to build your own computer. Unlike it the past, it's very easy, and you can actually do it cheaper than buying one already put together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back