New Computer - Display Problem! (DFI mobo, Geforce 6800)
Oct 9, 2005 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

nanahachi

Head-Fi FAQ(s) Volunteer
So I just put together a new computer rig, and for the past 24 hrs I've been dealing with "new computer" problems. I'm using all brand-new components:

Antec P180 case (black, SPCR version)
AMD 3500+ Venice Core
DFI LanParty UT nF4 UltraD mobo
Leadtek GeForce PX6800TDH (256mb) - PCIe
pqi TURBO 1GB DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 500 (PC 4000) Dual Channel System Memory
WestDig Raptor 74gb
Seasonic S12-500 PSU
Scythe Ninja Heatsink + 120mm Nexus fan

When I turn the power on, the case fans will spin, the Northbridge fan on the mobo will spin, the HDD seems to be on. However, nothing is showing up on my monitor (having tried both the DVI and VGA outputs, and trying 2 different monitors). The screen stays black, and the LED on the monitors stay amber, indicating that they are still on "stand by" b/c they are not getting a signal.

With the help of Edwood, I have tried various RAM configurations/placements, I have tried booting with only the vid card plugged into the mobo and the HDD & optical drives disconnected, etc... nada.

Does anyone have any experience with this DFI mobo and Geforce PCIe video cards?

Another problem(?) seems to be that the computer will power on (fans spinning...) when only the 24 pin connector is plugged into the mobo from the PSU, but will not start up AT ALL when both the 24pin AND the additional 4 pin connector (square-shaped arrangment, NOT in a line like Molex) are plugged in
Thus, I have left it so that only the 24pin power line is plugged in. This seems weird, especially after talking with Ed.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Oct 9, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 31
You don't happen to have any other parts, or another system, that you can use to test your parts? This is crucial, as from what you have described could be bad RAM, CPU, mobo, vid card, or even PSU. I'd really try to track someboday down that has at least a PCI-E card, to rule out a problem with that, and beyond that you'd be well served to test the RAM by swapping with any other regular DDR, then trying a different PSU. CPU or mobo would be harder to test, since you'd have to find an S939 system that you could disassemble, so unless that's the case, and the VGA, RAM, and PSU all don't fix your system, I'd just RMA the mobo and CPU. Another possible issue is a bad BIOS chip, a friend of mine had his go out, and it had these same symptoms as well.

The PSU behavior you described is super-odd, and really has me wondering if you just got a bad mobo.

Oct 10, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 31
thanks P, I'll look into all of that.

it is really weird, and I'm hoping to narrow the problems down, one component at a time. sadly, I don't have much on hand that I can use to swap components with.

I may have to pick up another PCIe card to see if my 6800 is the problem
frown.gif

Oct 10, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #4 of 31
2 things, are you getting a pc speaker beep at all? You need both power connectors plugged in, without the 4-pin, you're not getting the power the CPU needs. It sounds like a CPU problem to me, or *perhaps* a PSU problem. If I were you, I'd try out another CPU, see if that's the problem

Oct 10, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #5 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by nanahachi
Another problem(?) seems to be that the computer will power on (fans spinning...) when only the 24 pin connector is plugged into the mobo from the PSU, but will not start up AT ALL when both the 24pin AND the additional 4 pin connector (square-shaped arrangment, NOT in a line like Molex) are plugged in

Ya, that seems wierd. I agree with RedLeader.

Oct 10, 2005 at 5:09 PM Post #7 of 31
heh, thanks tortie. i recognized the lan party box from that time when i picked that one up for you
biggrin.gif
dfi-street is great, found it yesterday, awaiting further response.

the problem could be the result of a bunch of things:
1) Seasonic S12 series PSU have been having problems with DFI boards (although they are working on this at Seasonic and DFI)
2) something is up with my vidcard...
3) something is wrong with my mobo &/or processor
4) who knows

if anyone else has any ideas, please let me know

Oct 11, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #8 of 31
I hope they would find a solution to your problem. The culprit might be the PSU, but it might be the board also. I had to RMA my first board back to DFI, luckily for me DFI has a plant in Taiwan, so I didnt have to ship my board halfway around the globe.
biggrin.gif

Sorry for not warning you about filling up you sig there. The guys over there are super anal about that.

You know what, it might also be your monitor. I had the same problem with a friends comp just a few days back. He just bought a new system (AMD64 & MSI board with built-in video), and asked for my help in assembling his new rig. After putting everything together, I plugged the PC to my own monitor and nothing showed in my monitor. The light on my monitor was also amber.

After trying everything else, I told him to replace the PSU. He agreed and went home. That night he tried his new PC with his own monitor and it ran with-out a hitch! He went back to my house the next day and tried it again with my monitor and it wouldnt get any signal from his PC. We didnt change anything and right now he's playing with his rig, no problems whatsoever. It just seems that his PC doesnt like my monitor
biggrin.gif

Update: I was plugging my 230v PSU to my 110V line the whole time, that was why it wouldnt post
rolleyes.gif

Oct 11, 2005 at 2:52 AM Post #9 of 31
Yeah, as posted many a time above, my only idea is the power supply. Your spec's seem to be quite hefty (which rocks), but your 500W PSU may not be enough. Perhaps look into a 650/700W+ PSU?

Oct 11, 2005 at 4:13 AM Post #10 of 31
are all the power connectors plugged in to the mobo and vid card?
I had a friend with the same problem as you and it turned out he forgot to plug power to his gfx card.
I also built my brother's computer with the same series of mobo and it required a molex, a floppy, and the 24 pin power connector. It was weird so maybe you missed one.

Oct 11, 2005 at 5:36 AM Post #11 of 31
With the DFI Ultra-D, there are actually three power connectors. There's the 24pin ATX, the 4 pin/8 pin p4 power connector, and then there is an additional molex connector on the motherboard. So all together for that motherboard, there are three power connectors just for the board itself. I believe the additional molex connector is only for if you're using the 5v option on the ram, however I'm worried that you may be using the molex and not the p4 power connector. I should also mention that its crucial that you have a 24 pin PSU, as many cheaper 20 pin PSU's just can't handle the power requirements, unless of course you have something like a PCP&C 510.

Also as another user mentioned, make sure that you're plugging in your video card to what should be a 6 pin power connector. With the release of PCI express motherboards, there is now a special power connector just for video cards, so you don't use a regular molex like you did since the 9700 pro release.

Ultimately if all of these are not the issue, I'd would have to venture a guess that either your PSU is incompatible for some reason, or one of the parts is dead. If that were the case you would basically just want to start swapping out parts until you find the culprit.

Oct 11, 2005 at 9:30 AM Post #12 of 31
If the hard drives spin, then the computer is on. If you see nothing on screen after trying 2 screens, its your video card. No doubt about it.

Oct 11, 2005 at 9:31 AM Post #13 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capital R
Yeah, as posted many a time above, my only idea is the power supply. Your spec's seem to be quite hefty (which rocks), but your 500W PSU may not be enough. Perhaps look into a 650/700W+ PSU?

A 400W PSU would do just fine, thats certainly not the problem.

Oct 11, 2005 at 5:10 PM Post #14 of 31
again, i really want to thank all of you for responding.

I have set up an RMA on my Seasonic PSU. Over at DFI-street it is well-documented that my series of PSUs have probs with DFI mobos.

James: gotcha on the power connectors. however, when I DO plug that 4pin (not the molex) into the mobo, NOTHING happens. nothing powers on at all. Only when I EXCLUDE that 4pin (for the CPU) does anything power on at all. Very strange.

As for my vid card, as you can see in the pics at Newegg (see my link in the first post), there is no power connection for the Leadtek 6800. I may call up newegg today and set up an RMA. Jashugan, thanks, I am thinking the VC is problematic, as is the PSU (with this mobo at least).

please keep posting, guys, and I'll update you as the situation progresses.

Oct 11, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #15 of 31
I have the same motherboard with a overclocked 3800+ x2, overclocked 7800GT, and Antec NeoPower 480W. Your power supply should definately be enough for your setup.

Mine works fine with the 4 pin molex, 24 pin molex, and the 4 pin PATA power lines connected to the mobo. I'm guessing your problem could be due to the incompatibility of your mobo and PS, or that one of them is screwy.

If everything is powering up except for the videocard, then your mobo BIOS could be screwed. It happened to the first mobo (different brand) I got, so I returned it and got the DFI.

Finally, some motherboards that I've had have been very picky with component installation order, though I don't think the DFI is one of them. But the order I always use is CPU, then ram, then power supply. Plug PS into wall, then install rest of components.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back