New Colorfly C4 Pro owner—extensive review
May 9, 2013 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jwbrent

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi everyone,

First, I should say that I have been an iPod user since I began with DAPs. I've owned the iPod 3g & 4g, the iPod nano 2g & 4g & 5g, the iPod touch 2g & 4g, and an iPod shuffle 5g. In other words, I have been a big fan of Apple devices. Yet I always wanted a higher performance DAP that didn't do anything other than play my music. I also became interested in the increasing selection of hi-res music files now available, and I wanted a player that could take full advantage of these files.

That's where the Colorfly comes in ...

The C4 Pro got me hooked with it's aesthetics. I loved the wood, the engraving on the back, the bronze looking front, and the sliding volume pot which took me back to my early years in audio. I read up on this unit everywhere I could find useful information and found it perplexing how the only way I could buy one was through eBay from someone sitting in an office in Taiwan. Finally, about a month ago, I pulled the trigger and bought a 32GB version.

I've been running the unit almost continuously since I got it for two reasons: first, if anything was to go wrong with the player, it was likely to happen during the first month since bumpy shipping can cause problems that show up later and I would have recourse with the seller; second, I wanted to get at least 500 hours of play time to "cook" the digital section as well as to fully form the nice capacitors the C4 uses. I'm getting close to doing a full blown review, so I started this thread to see how much interest there is, especially since the A&K is getting so much press.

My goal is to create a thread that fully details how good this player is—and it is good—and how all the functions work. I also want to talk about using this player with a Mac since the Colorfly has some oddities that can sometimes be frustrating. I will have some tips on useful free utilities for the C4 that I found on the web that other Mac users might find helpful. Additionally, I want to dispel the incorrect information about the C4 that I've read here on HF as well as other sites. And finally, I hope this thread will lure the European distributor of Colorfly so he can provide useful information about the future of the C4. I've seen his posts on another thread, so I'm hopeful intelligent dialogue will encourage him to be an active participant.

to be continued ...

Jul 15, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 17
I'm sorry to anyone who had been looking forward to my thoughts about this unique DAP, but I became involved in other things and time just flew by ...

I've had a chance now to use my C4 Pro (firmware version 1.00.02.01 downloadable from http://www.colorfly.eu/download.html) for a few months, and I believe I now have a good understanding of its capabilities, its faults, and other small details, specifically when used with a Mac.

Pro - Design

Beautiful aesthetics for anyone who likes retro designs. I've been an audiophile—and earned my livelihood in the specialty A/V industry—for 26 years, so for me the VU meter, the sliding potentiometer, the solid walnut case and its woodcut engraving, and the metal face with the aged bronzed look all appeal to my sensibilities.

Con - Design

The metal parts are easy to scratch, although not being highly noticeable scratches unless the unit is gouged—instead, tiny scratches. An example is when I first started using the C4 I was constantly plugging in and out the included mini USB cable (more about this later) and I later realized that my trying to fit the connector into the C4 had been a bit sloppy since there were now tiny scratches around the mini USB jack. Again, nothing highly noticeable, but with the right light and the right angle, noticeable. Given the aged appearance the finish applies to the metal surface, this isn't as bad as it would be if the surface had a more uniform consistency.

Pro - UI

The menu is simple enough to navigate with the arrow controls, menu button, and the centrally placed power button. The navigation will not remind anyone of an Apple device since there are areas that can seem counter intuitive at first, but once there is familiarity with the controls everything seems easy to get to (I'll comment more on the controls in the con section). The display is of a type that provides good resolution—at least to my aging eyes—of the small font used and there are indicators in the topmost area for repeat mode, track number/number of tracks of the folder being played, sample rate converter setting, digital input/output setting, EQ setting, and the battery level. Just beneath is the track playing info if the file has ID tags and it does scroll on a continual basis. Below this is the aforementioned VU meter—mono—which probably has more aesthetic value than functional value. Below the VU on the left side is a play/pause indicator and below that is the elapsed time/total time of the track being played; to the right of this is the bit rate and the sample frequency displayed with a larger font. The bit rate and sample frequency info either denotes the native rate of the file or any of the SRC rates chosen. Finally, below this information is a scrolling display of the file name, especially useful if you like to strip away any ID tag info.

The menu button sits in the upper left corner on the main surface of the C4, and this along with the power button provides access to settings for repeat mode/shuffle, display brightness and duration (5-30 seconds or always on), language (Chinese, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, French, Spanish, Polish, Russian, Turkish, Danish, Swedish, Japanese, and a few others I didn't recognize due to the labeling being in the native language), audio output settings which include sample rate, digital filter (fast or slow), absolute phase (nice!), and whether the digital output is on or off. The remaining options are digital input settings (play mode, SPDIF input, SRC only operation) and system info which displays among other superfluous info the firmware version and the storage capacity/usage of the internal/external flash memory.

Besides the volume slider which by the way typically keeps its place when the C4 is pocketed or placed in its included leather sleeve, there is a plastic toggle button for the SRC setting which cycles through native, 24/88.2, 24/96, 24/176.4, and 24/192 settings. Pushing the toggle in the opposite direction sets the EQ settings (normal, rock, pop, classic, bass, and jazz). I find the EQ settings unusable.

The front end of the C4 has headphone outputs for 1/4" and 1/8" headphones (purportedly good for up to 300 ohm headphones), a micro SD card slot with no cover (the manual claims up to 32GB compatibility, but I've read that a 64GB card can be used as long as it is formatted as a FAT32 directory and a card reader is used when transferring files—haven't tried this yet), a coax digital input and output, a tiny hole where the reset button resides, and the mini USB jack. Since I use my C4 as a source component for my main system, I can't comment on the battery life.

Con - UI

Most of the control buttons take a bit of getting used to. Again, this is no Apple device since instead of just giving a button a quick push, one has to camp down on the button for a second or two for there to be any response. Sometimes even this will not produce the desired result and one will find themselves letting go of the button and pushing it down again until the action is achieved (I find this analogous to how my brain works as I get older and older :wink:. The arrow control and menu buttons of the C4 are of a membrane type, and based on my previous experience with such buttons, the plastic used for the membrane may be susceptible to indentations or even cracking as it ages—only time will tell if this indeed becomes an aesthetic issue. 

The volume slider is a bit loose and wiggly; I expected that since the C4 was advertised with an Alps professional pot, it would feel as solid and ultra smooth as other high quality slider controls I've used over the years. Alas, it does not, yet the sliding action does feel good. Incidentally, I've read that this pot is resistant to becoming noisy as it ages since there is some method it employs which keeps the slider protected from any debris.

The VU meter acts strangely when playing back FLAC files. On my unit there is a sluggishness and jerkiness to its action. With WAV files, the VU works as expected—highly responsive.

There are a couple typos ("Interal Flash") in the menus as well as other little oddities in its functionality, but they aren't deal breakers.

Pro - Sound

Now to the good part—this is a fantastic sounding player. I've never auditioned the Astell & Kern AK100/AK120 players or the comparable iBasso and HiFiMAN players, so I can't comment on how the C4 compares; I can only say that when hooked up to a commensurate set of headphones or to a really good music system (see my profile for my current main system if interested in learning what I use the C4 with), the C4 reveals itself as a high resolution source component. Of course, this is predicated upon using lossless files—especially 24/48 or higher—this is not a device for lossy MP3 files unless casual listening is one's habit.

As previously mentioned, I do not use my C4 as an on-the-go player; I instead use it as a source component for my main system. I wanted to have an inexpensive component that would play the ever growing library of downloadable high resolution files that have become available over the last several years. I began purchasing music from the HDtracks website as well as downloading the Bowers and Wilkens Society of Sound files that I received for free for purchasing a pair of B&W headphones, and although I could always hook up my MacBook Air to my system, I found this to be a cumbersome solution. I have a Wadia 831 CD player that I have compared the C4 to and I find the C4 a commendable alternative—and a better source with some of the 24/96 files I have purchased (not all high resolution music files sound better than my Wadia, at least to my ears, and certainly not better than many of my well made and recorded vinyl records although this may be due to limitations in the C4's componentry).

The sample rate converter does give the sound of some of my files a noticeable difference in low-level detail, soundstage width and depth, and overall air. I generally use the 24/192 setting with my 24/48 and 24/96 files, but as you will read in the con portion of this section, there is a sonic cost, one that gives me pause in recommending this feature of the C4.

The tonal quality of the C4 is fairly neutral. I abhor a top end that is elevated in any component since the beryllium tweeters on my Focals can be quite revealing of any discontinuities. The trebles from the C4 are extended yet smoothly reproduced. The midrange is neither forward or recessed; vocals float within the soundstage with a good sense of air surrounding them. The bass does come across light sounding, without the wallop and extension of my Wadia. I attribute some of this to the power supply limitations inherent in a portable device and wonder whether a dedicated power supply would enhance the bass impact—probably so. Still, without doing direct comparisons to my Wadia (or in some cases to my Clearaudio turntable), the bass reproduction of the C4 is satisfying in most regards.

It should be mentioned that the sound is noticeably better when using the 1/4" headphone output. I believe this may be due to the quality of the connector compared to the 1/8" jack. It may also be due to any circuitry difference between the two jacks.

Con - Sound

Although abbreviated, I've already written about the frequency range, so in this section I will focus instead on some of the audio anomalies of the C4.

The use of the sample rate converter poses a problem ... and this could be a deal killer for some. There is a popping noise that occurs between tracks when the SRC is engaged. This is most disturbing when listening to live recordings or classical music since most of these recordings do not have any gaps between tracks, yet the C4's SRC circuit still makes this annoying popping sound. If the SRC is disengaged, no popping sound, but then one loses any sonic benefit of oversampling. Still, I have opted to leave the SRC disengaged, but I find this to be a frustrating solution since the SRC is an integral feature of the C4.

Prior to writing this review, I visited the European Colorfly website just to check on whether there had been a firmware update. I recalled there were comments on the website that stated the version installed on my C4 (1.00.02.00) had addressed the popping noise—in some cases. I was happy to see that a new version had been released (1.00.02.01) although there weren't any comments on what changes had been made. Hoping the popping noise (or gapless playback which I'll get to momentarily) was addressed, I updated my firmware but there didn't seem to be any difference. So, I'm not sure what the new firmware was supposed to do (I freely admit this new version may not be new and was posted all along—I just didn't notice it before given the way it is listed).

I have a few live recordings as well as many classical recordings on my C4. Not having gapless playback is another annoyance. When listening to these types of recordings—in most instances—there is a momentary muting of the sound between tracks. It only lasts for a second, but this muting takes away from the listening experience. I can't believe that a DAP in this age of technical advancements would forgo this essential capability. I certainly hope there will be a firmware update that resolves this problem as well as the popping noise.

I need to add that I've never used my C4 as a DAC only, so I cannot comment on whether the problems I've described happen when the C4 is used in this manner. Additionally, I don't have MP3s on my C4, so again, no comment.

Another limitation of the C4 is that it will not play back 24 bit FLAC files, only 16 bit. As a result, the files I have downloaded from B&W and HDtracks (24/48 and 24/96 FLAC) have to be converted to WAV files at the expense of limiting how many songs I can load onto my C4. Yes, I can always buy more SD cards, even 64GB cards, but I'd rather not have to do so. Again, I hope this is addressed in the future but this has been a well known long standing limitation.

(For the technically savvy, does the conversion of my FLAC files to WAV lead to any data loss? I assume not, but I'm not clear on this and would appreciate any comments.)

Pro - Incidentals

I have to repeat how beautiful the C4 is and how good it feels in one's hand. The weight, to me, is just right, not too heavy and not too light. The construction and attention to detail is very good and the cardboard box it comes in exudes something special is inside. The black leather slipcase is a nice accessory; I initially felt from the website pictures that the case was a bit too garish with its red stitching, but after seeing it in person and especially as the leather has broken in with use, I like it very much. It holds the C4 firmly and will protect it from any unfortunate event. The included USB cable is about a meter long, has an embedded RFI filter on one end, and its outer jacket has a nice textured feel to it. The connectors are gold-plated; as to whether that really makes any tangible difference for a power/transfer cable, who knows, but its nice anyways.

Con - Incidentals

The power supply included was of no use since it had a European plug. I have an extra Apple USB wall plug that I use to power my C4.

As mentioned, I have a 2012 MacBook Air. Transferring files over to the internal flash storage is an exercise in frustration since at times the C4 quits and freezes up. One then has to unplug and reboot—sometimes do a reset—and try again ... from the very beginning. Imagine you have 32GB of music 80% done and then the C4 freezes up; highly frustrating, especially since whatever internal flash memory is used must be a low speed class—it takes a very long time to transfer files. I've had this happen to me several times at different time intervals. I've read others who have reported this problem, so I don't think it is a compatibility issue or something to do with the USB cable and its connection (I've tried a different cable and had the same experience).

Macs leave hidden folders/files on the C4 after an eject. The problem with this is the C4 shows these hidden folders/files in its directory, taking away from easily navigating the nested submenus. I did find a solution to this with a tiny app called Eject for Windows; you can download it here:

http://www011.upp.so-net.ne.jp/decafish/EjectForWindows/EjectForWindowsE.html

This app works great in removing this litter on eject. Oh, one other thing, there is no sorting after a transfer, so for those of you who like to keep things in alphabetical order (as I do), you'll have to transfer your files in the order you want since the C4 uses the date stamp to sort any files. This does make adding any new files to the internal flash a problem; using a reader with a higher speed SD card is much easier to work with since files transfer much faster.

Finally, I question whether I will ever have any problems regarding service due to the non-existent distribution in the U.S. eBay is the only way to purchase a C4 from what I've experienced, and the Chinese vendor I bought my unit from was not exactly the easiest to communicate with. I presume I will be able to use the European distributor for any service, but I'm not sure. I was able to download firmware from their site using my serial number, and I did have an email exchange with the distributor about some of the glitches mentioned, but given the low profile of Colorfly, who knows how long their product will be supported. It's really a shame since the C4 deserves greater attention.

I think I've written enough. If anything else comes to mind, I'll continue this thread. I hope some of you found this review helpful in deciding on whether or not to purchase a Colorfly C4 Pro. For the most part, I'm happy with my purchase ...

Sep 16, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #5 of 17
Thank you for your kind words ... I love my C4 but I just wish Colorfly would address the main issues I brought up to make it more competitive with the A&K. Even if it was just providing 24 bit FLAC compatibility and gapless playback I would be thrilled.

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 17
Well all I know is that I've had my C4 Pro for a good time now & Sure maybe 7hrs battery life isn't for everyone or a fancy UI is not what the C4 Pro is all about & TBH with you's if you buy a portable Hi-Fi player that sounds this good then your buying it for it's abilities not some tiny flaws :wink: Quite frankly a lot of people who are buying this shouldn't be buying it because if you think A FANCY UI MAKES SUCH AN IMPORTANT PART OF YOUR LISTENING EXPERIENCE THEN YOU SHOULD STICK TO YOUR IPODS WISH GAFFER TAPED LITTLE AMPS THEN & PRETEND IT SOUNDS GOOD :p

I believe the C4 Pro is targeted at the right type of people... Those that Love Music & that's it. No wasted crap along with it like said fancy UI's etc...

I'll continue to love my c4 with my new Shure 535Ltds & the UI moaners can keep deluding themselves & continue to moan about everything & anything then Thx :)

My 2 cents worth regards comparing the c4 to anything = good luck beating it's sound quality :)

J.

Oct 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 17
[Note: I recently revised the content of this post when, having purchased a second Colorfly C4 Pro, I realized that the device on which I based my original review had apparently been defective. Hence this more positive assessment of the C4.]

Aesthetics:

The player is oddly beautiful -- made me think of Don Draper's Manhattan apartment in AMC's Mad Men. Very retro-cool!! I love the analog volume slider... and I love the larger headphone jack option.

Sound:

One word that comes to mind when describing the C4s vs the AK100 mk2 and iBasso DX90 (2 other players I own), is powerful -- it really performs admirably in driving many headphones without the use of a amp (excepting planars, as usual). I find there's a certain coloration to the sound that's unlike my other DAPs, but it's quite musical and satisfying, particularly with the right cans.

Equalizer:

When it comes to the equalizer feature, the C4 is a pecular duck. The only 2 settings that I use are the default (Normal) and Jazz, though Normal normal sounds best. It's appropriate that the default setting is called "Normal" because the other settings bring out unnatural coloration to the music. This is in contrast to the AK100 mk2 and iBasso DX90 equalizers which allows any number of adjustments to suit tastes and equipment.

Mac  INcompatability:

Okay, so I finally discovered ways to prevent the C4 from constantly disengaging from my USB/Mac port during file transfer, but it was SO frustrating getting to that point. I think Colorfly (and Hifiman, for that matter) should provide a disclaimer in deference to Mac users that the device does NOT play nice with Mac OSX.

Overall:

Aesthetically beautiful player with excellent sound and the power to drive many headphones without an amp. 

Dec 6, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #8 of 17
Well all I know is that I've had my C4 Pro for a good time now & Sure maybe 7hrs battery life isn't for everyone or a fancy UI is not what the C4 Pro is all about & TBH with you's if you buy a portable Hi-Fi player that sounds this good then your buying it for it's abilities not some tiny flaws
wink.gif
Quite frankly a lot of people who are buying this shouldn't be buying it because if you think A FANCY UI MAKES SUCH AN IMPORTANT PART OF YOUR LISTENING EXPERIENCE THEN YOU SHOULD STICK TO YOUR IPODS WISH GAFFER TAPED LITTLE AMPS THEN & PRETEND IT SOUNDS GOOD :p

I believe the C4 Pro is targeted at the right type of people... Those that Love Music & that's it. No wasted crap along with it like said fancy UI's etc...

I'll continue to love my c4 with my new Shure 535Ltds & the UI moaners can keep deluding themselves & continue to moan about everything & anything then Thx
smily_headphones1.gif

My 2 cents worth regards comparing the c4 to anything = good luck beating it's sound quality
smily_headphones1.gif

J.

Try trucking around with a player that freezes up every hour or listening to a mix sorted in the wrong order by the player and tell me if it doesn't ruin ones listening experience. In this day and age there's no reason to have a player on the market that functions like crap. If it does it's due to the manufacturer cheaping out on development and choosing instead to saddle the consumer with a half baked product.

Nov 2, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #9 of 17
Sadly, I must agree with some of the negative feedback posted here. It's a great sounding player with a unique Retro look that is let down by an underdeveloped UI. "Simple" does not mean that some basic functionality should be missing!

The worst problem though is the complete lack of any manufacturer support with respect to updating the player firmware. This is especially frustrating because it appears on the surface that it would not take much effort to resolve many of the issues noted. Note that even the European site where firmware updates were previously posted is no longer accessible so the manufacturer has probably ceased support altogether.

In my opinion DigitalFreaks comments in this regard are bang on. For this reason alone I would not recommend that anyone purchase this unit unless you are willing to live with the ui as is. It is a real shame because as has been said the sound quality is really good. I also own the AK120 and feel the C4 is a better match with my modded Fostex th900.

As always ymmv.

Dec 5, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #10 of 17
I recently bought an Astell & Kern AK120 to See what all the fuss was about.
1st impressions were it was tiny.
Guess I'm too used to the big C4.
I was under the impression that these new GUI touchscreen Daps were Eh supposed to be good.
Now I don't know about any1 else, but my AK120 seems to hate Windows8.1 in a big way, I transferred a full 57gb of Flacs onto its internal memory & when I went to play them there was no songs there ? :frowning2: The folders were there but no files ? :frowning2:
I did a bit of googling & noticed yeps the new'ish AK120 hates Win8/ 8.1 for some weird reason & it seems that Astell & Kern like ignoring their customers to the point that people are re-selling their devices on...
My old clunky C4 loves windows 8.1 & I can transfer folders/ files onto its internal memory NP's.

The AK120 seems to have also another weakness & it's this;
The C4 IMHO just sounds better, tried a few cans & on all times the C4 just sounded better. Might be the C4's jitter of 5 Picosecs versus the AK's 50 Picosecs who knows but that's a pretty substantial difference IMHO, 5 V's 50 ?

I had planned to keep the Ak120 & sell the C4, but I just can't as it just does sound too good still compaired to other devices out there IMHO.
I'm going to try & see if my new Ak120 is worth while keeping at all, I bloody well hope so cause it promised so so much:frowning2: & cost so so much :p

The C4 still makes me smile where as so far all the Ak120 wants to make me do is pull my hair out :frowning2:
& before any1 mentions get with technology etc... = I'm a Network Admin by trade & have Been dealing with OS's/ PDA's (Yes Pre Smart Phone Era) & Hi-Fi tech my entire life so in this day & age to release a Dap that doesn't even work with windows 8 (think thats the most used MS OS these days) is just shocking !!!

So thank god my old C4 has no issues like this... A nice up down left right type boring UI that doesn't need iRiver4 software to work o_0 . Oh well I'll try some MicroSD cards on the AK Maybe the peice of junk (So Far) will like Win 8 drag & dropping Eh ? Fingers crossed hehe...

On my own opinion of the C4 now having lived with it for over 2 years+ = For £550 that it cost me, it was & is still proving to be money well spent :)
I wonder if I can say that about any Astell & Kern product down the line ? I kind of dubt it since their churning out daps like their going out of fashion & seem to be then dumping the previous versions in the bin every month o_0

Let's see what the future does hold for Daps as a whole.

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:27 AM Post #11 of 17
Hi i have a Colorfly as well - i was wondering what headphones/IEM's you would recommend for use when not at home?

I currently have Audeze LCD3/Senn HD800s for home use with my Amp, but for outdoors i have a set of Final Audio Design Heaven C's.

Would IEMs be good for this or should i wait for something like the oppo PM3?

Does the colourfly benefit from an external portable Amp or is it powerful enough as is?

Jan 4, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #12 of 17
Hi i have a Colorfly as well - i was wondering what headphones/IEM's you would recommend for use when not at home?

I currently have Audeze LCD3/Senn HD800s for home use with my Amp, but for outdoors i have a set of Final Audio Design Heaven C's.

Would IEMs be good for this or should i wait for something like the oppo PM3?

Does the colourfly benefit from an external portable Amp or is it powerful enough as is?

I currently use Shure SE535Ltd Red's with the C4.
I cannot really tell you which IEM'S will give the best results but there's good synergy going on with the C4 + 535Ltd's & you won't really ever need an add on Amp.
Use the Larger 6" socket with an adapter as the C4's Mini-Jack output is a weak link IMHO.
Using the larger output with or without a mini jack adapter the C4 is plenty loud (In fact can go deafeningly Loud) IMHO.
With the low ohmage 535Ltd's I like my music really loud & the volume's is only 1/3rd up I think.
Tried the C4 once with those big ass'd Monster Beats Studio cans & at only about 3/4rs volume from the C4 my skull was quaking it was so loud. Showed how bad those crazy cans actually sound too IMHO with their terrible screeching treble, so I would think it (The C4) wouldn't need Amp'd unless your chosen cans were total Ohmage drainers for sure.

About to try the Sennheiser IE800 IEM'S in it hopefully this week & expect a decent sound too, would love to get the Shure SE 846's but living in the UK means Importing & usually a big slice of extra £'s added on so the IE800's it is for the C4's next pairing for me.
Oh 1 last thing is just got round to trying the re-Format trick to Fat32 on a newly bought SanDisk 128gb microSDXC & the C4 see's it np's so more Flacs in time :)

J.

Nov 18, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #15 of 17
Hello guys, sorry for bumping up ancient thread. i was thinking to purchase used C4 out of the curiosity of the sound.
i'm currently using Onkyo DP-X1 as my primary DAP and my cans is mainly consisted of IEM with low impedance.
my question is, it is still worth to purchase C4 today? or i better purchase mojo to pair with my DP-X1 or other transport? 
does C4 could still hold its ground against mojo or they have different sound signature approach?
thank you very much for the insight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back