New CDP to replace my Cary 306 SACD
May 15, 2010 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

brat

500+ Head-Fier
PLease, recommend me a new CDP to replace my Cary 306 SACD. No necessary to be SACD.
I want neutral sound but a bit more "analog" and smoother than my Cary. I don't know if it is its sound signature or a defect but I find a slight hump in the highs of my Cary that doesn't fit my taste.
Any suggestions for a player in the same price range ($6-8000) ?

IMPORTANT: It must be with fully balanced topology. :)

May 15, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 22
does it  HAVE to be overpriced like the cary?  I cannot stress enough how terrific the xa5400es is

May 15, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 22
It's been a few years, but I'd had the 306 briefly in my old headphone system. It was definitely too hot up top for me, and that was with headphones that are somewhat soft up top (HD650/Zu, L3000). I vastly preferred my vinyl setup w/ a Benz Glider L2 cart - which itself was a little hot up top, as setup. The total cost of that TT setup was $2.8K  (table & arm bought used on consignment) and there was no comparison.

I certainly haven't been keeping up with the digital world, but I've heard the PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC + Transport several times at my dealer, with familiar equipment. I won't be swayed back from vinyl, but that combo strikes me as really good digital sound - resolving without being strident, dry, or harsh. I've enjoyed it. Once or twice I've entertained the idea of adding them into my setup as a 2nd source, but truthfully I'd rather concentrate on a big upgrade of the analog source.

The DAC is also fully balanced, and in fact I've heard it directly driving my Rogue Apollo monoblocks from the XLR outputs with no preamp - the sound in this configuration was excellent! If it were my main source, I may have needed to re-examine the value proposition of my Hera preamp (which I love).

Yikes seems to be getting one soon - look at his thread in this forum, and watch for his impressions :)

May 16, 2010 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 22
I second Mulveling's recommendation of the Perfect Wave DAC + Transport.  You should at least add it to your list.  The retail price is $6,500 including the HDMI cable but the "street" price for a new stack + HDMI cable is actually closer to $4,500 if you call around.  I own the Ayon CD-2, which retails for $5,500, and it just doesn't seem to compete with the Perfect Wave unless you really lust after dynamics.  In reality, even with NOS tubes, the Ayon comes across as somewhat bright and less resolving than the PW combo. The PW combo also simply crushes my Eastsound E-5, the "giant killer" CD player from about 3-4 years ago on Head-fi.  (That's one reason I decided to pass on the Sony XA5400ES, today's supposed "giant killer".)

You might check out the review of the Ayon CD-5 in the recent issue of Dagogo.com.  Obviously, the review itself is the usual blather. (In reality, I just skimmed it.  For all I know, it is an unbiased tour de force)  What is interesting is that at the end of that review, the author ranks a number of digital sources at different price points, although not the ones you mention. The Ayon CD-5 comes out on top (although I suspect it has a sound signature that is similar to the CD-2 and the author may have been a bit biased to rank the CD-5 at the top of the heap).  What is interesting is that he ranks the Perfect Wave combo as a very close second, even though it is substantially less expensive. 

May 16, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #6 of 22
As a previous Cary 306 SACD owner (the one that Mulveling auditioned), I highly recommend an Exemplar Denon 5910 as the replacement to your Cary.  My particular unit sound simply awesome in all formats.  It is more analog & glorious sounding and as resolving as the Cary 306 SACD in a direct comparison.  My unit came also with a true balanced tube output configuration.  If you don't mind buying a used modified unit, I would not look at anything else.  I believe that John Tucker charged $5k for his modification, but you can buy one off from Audiogon for under 3k.  Beside besting the Cary 306 SACD in a direct and controlled comparison, my Exemplar 5910 also superior sounding to the following units:

RAM Sony SCD-1.
Modwright Sony 999ES.
Richard Kern/Modwright Sony SCD-777ES.
Pioneer DV-AX10.
Exemplar Denon 2900.
SACDmods Sony 9100ES and C555ES.
....the list goes on.

May 16, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #7 of 22
Thanks to all!
beerchug.gif

May 19, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #10 of 22

Someone can find it useful:

Quote:
brat said:
in another forum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now I'm listening to XA-5400es. Someone here already said it: good player but not great. Mine is not burned-in (about 10-12 hours) but I doubt we can expect some great improvement. My Cary 306 SACD surpasses it in every way except bass depth where the sony goes a little deeper. Sound is more two-dimentional and flat - the most obvious difference. Tonal balance is good with slightly humped bass compared to the cary. There are some peaky highs which may settle down with burn-in, I suppose. Headstage is much smaller. Something interesting: somewhere I've read an opinion that the 5400 makes CD and SACD sound similar. It's completely true: SACD playback is terrible!! The same flat sound as the CD!! :D My Cary has opened my eyes for the superioriy of SACD standart. I've never heard so spacious and naturally balanced sound, so well shaped instruments and "real" vocals. But I can't feel anything like that with the sony - on SACD mode my hybrid SACDs with original DSD recordings sound worse than their CD layers on the Cary. :)
Some good words: mmm... The bass is great - textured and well controlled. This player will fit some bass-shy transducers. Maybe If I have another player, not the Cary, I would like this sony but now....  In fact I have another player - an old heavily modded Pioneer PD-9300 (two PCM58 DACs) and it's sound is quite similar to the 5400 but the pioneer has bigger soundstage :D
I had some hopes for XA-5400ES. I wanted a new player with warmer and more "analog" sound to replace the Cary. This sony definitely is not it's successor. 

May 20, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #12 of 22
Audio Research, either the CD7 or CD8 should be in your price range. The only players I have heard that would tempt me to put the turntable away.

May 20, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #13 of 22
I love my Meridian 808.2i,,I bought it used it was a demo unit with a full warranty (Audiogon) for a little under $6000.00 (Retail $16,000.00) There are some great reviews out there too. 

May 21, 2010 at 6:06 AM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
I would hope so for that price.  I love mine too but I didn't get for anywhere near that price.  I talked to Meridian about trying the 808.3i but they are up to $20K now.  

He had a bunch of the 808.2 http://weinhartdesign.com/ When the 808.3 were about to come out, he (David) said that a lot of the dealers sent the 808.2 back to Meridian so they could get the .3 version and because he is the largest Meridian dealer in the US. Meridian sent them all to him to sell. David was selling the 808.2 cheaper than the average Audiogon price of an 808.

There is a 808.3 brand new for $10,900.00 right now on Audiogon...but Europe sale and voltage. (220) but just saying they can be bought way under MSRP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back