New Cavalli Audio Portable Amp officially in the works
Sep 3, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #243 of 566
  So it does have a DAC or not? Or it's just a "simple" AMP? Or it's not just "simple"? Or...what it is? :)

its not announced. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #246 of 566
  Single end as in no option for balanced output? But it it's a DAC also... no balanced output?

that was the word almost 6 months ago (in that time a lot of things could have changed).  They said there is not enough room for balance outputs (the dac/amp is still balanced but its terminated in single end) and the dac. 

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:08 AM Post #247 of 566

that was the word almost 6 months ago (in that time a lot of things could have changed).  They said there is not enough room for balance outputs (the dac/amp is still balanced but its terminated in single end) and the dac. 

Wait, did I read that right?  You mean to tell me they made a balanced amp but didn't put a balanced connector on the end because it's too big??

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #249 of 566
  Wait, did I read that right?  You mean to tell me they made a balanced amp but didn't put a balanced connector on the end because it's too big??

Hi. First, yes the delay is ridiculous at this point. I expected more from this engineering team.

A good question about the output.
smile.gif
  Of the many really dumb things I've done over the years, this isn't one of them.
biggrin.gif

The DAC produces a balanced output. The first version of this portable has two discrete SE amps in it. These take up quite a lot of room. Hence, we only use a SE signal from the DAC to the amps. The other output of the DAC (the negative out) is inverted through a buffer to provide a line out directly from the DAC.

I want to say more, but as someone pointed out many posts ago, the announcement of this amp was premature and was based on project scheduling from the engineering team that was pretty far off. But, we are still working on it.

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #250 of 566
Hi. First, yes the delay is ridiculous at this point. I expected more from this engineering team.

Disagree. The development time is perfectly normal. The mistake is to make the announcement this early.

I always tell manufacturers not to post on the internet until it is imminent because you get expectation like this (nothing personal, though the example is convenient)

Sep 16, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #251 of 566

A good question about the output. :smile:   Of the many really dumb things I've done over the years, this isn't one of them. :D

The DAC produces a balanced output. The first version of this portable has two discrete SE amps in it. These take up quite a lot of room. Hence, we only use a SE signal from the DAC to the amps. The other output of the DAC (the negative out) is inverted through a buffer to provide a line out directly from the DAC.

I want to say more, but as someone pointed out many posts ago, the announcement of this amp was premature and was based on project scheduling from the engineering team that was pretty far off. But, we are still working on it.

Hello first thanks for the update. While the wait is bad the silence is worst (no idea whether the product has been scraped or no)

Second, In regards to the balance output from the dac, do all dacs output balance signal or just the one you are using?

Sep 16, 2014 at 1:26 PM Post #252 of 566
Disagree. The development time is perfectly normal. The mistake is to make the announcement this early.

I always tell manufacturers not to post on the internet until it is imminent because you get expectation like this (nothing personal, though the example is convenient)

Thanks. In my case, the long time is abnormal. It doesn't take me this long to bring amps to production, not even half this long. It's simply use of an external team for key aspects of this amp that has extended the the time. Will only do this once.
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #253 of 566
Hello first thanks for the update. While the wait is bad the silence is worst (no idea whether the product has been scraped or no)

Second, In regards to the balance output from the dac, do all dacs output balance signal or just the one you are using?

You know, I really don't know if every chip dac does this, but it seems an easy thing to do once you go through the trouble of putting the rest of it on the chip.

No, hasn't been scrapped by any means.

Oct 24, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #255 of 566
The original idea was a DAC/amp combo like many other portables, but with my own amp design. After finally getting the proto I've decided to mod the design concept. And since I am no longer using external resources in the manner they were used for the first version, I will make progress faster. And when I say I will have something I will have it, even if just a proto for getting feedback.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back