New Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass Amplifier - Fall Release
Nov 15, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #256 of 789
Quote:
You could name it LU aU and put a pineapple logo on it...
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.

Nov 16, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #259 of 789
Well, we had to do something. The word Liquid in front of anything provides so many opportunities...
atsmile.gif

The amp will be single chassis, but it's not going to be small. Probably 15-16" wide. The custom RCore should be beefy enough. Each output stage (four of them, two per channel) will be running close to 150mA at idle giving plenty of class A headroom.

Nov 16, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #260 of 789
Quote:
Well, we had to do something. The word Liquid in front of anything provides so many opportunities...
atsmile.gif

The amp will be single chassis, but it's not going to be small. Probably 15-16" wide. The custom RCore should be beefy enough. Each output stage (four of them, two per channel) will be running close to 150mA at idle giving plenty of class A headroom.

The LAu or LGD sounds fine.  It don't matter much to me.  Have you decided on a gain switch?  I hope not much switching or bridging will be going on inside.  Hope it will be as clean as possible. 
biggrin.gif

Nov 16, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #261 of 789
I know I mentioned, but I can't keep track of where because LAu conversations are happening in a couple of places.

The amp is a genuine differential amp, not a bridged amp. It provides all the benefits of fully differential operation. There is no bridging in the circuit. Is this what you were asking about?

There is  gain switching, between two gain settings using a very simple method that switches just two resistors on each channel. This is one aspect of the design that dbel will be testing.

If all can be brought to production as currently planned it will have 4 outputs, two balanced and two SE, using a variety of jacks for different terminations. It will have three inputs, two balanced and one SE. The SE input will have internal conversion to a balanced signal before it hits the amp so that there is no loss of gain and loss of SQ which sometimes accompanies running a differential amp through just one input.

But, I do want to be conservative in what we say at this point because things are still in their early stages and I have learned over the last couple of years that almost anything can happen when you're producing amps. :)

Nov 17, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #262 of 789
I promised some photos of LGs being made. :)

These are the frames for the tube cages with daughter boards (the ones that hold the noval sockets) being attached.

Obviously under construction.

Different angle. LEDs are there just for testing. You can see the board mounted toggles for the various settings.

Boards galore, not quite finished yet, in standard CA black finish.

I don't know if this is better than buying tubes, but it's fun to watch them come together.

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #263 of 789
Thanks Alex for the pictures.  Looks very interesting.

Can we have an update on when these will be complete?

Nov 29, 2012 at 11:34 PM Post #265 of 789
Got a very encouraging email from Alex today.  Progress is definitely being made and those of us lucky enough to get on board may get a very nice "early" xmas present!!

Thanks Alex!!

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #268 of 789
God you really liked that pairing didn't you? lol

To be honest, when I heard the LG at CanJam, I think I preferred the HD800 to the HE-6. However, the HE-6 really intrigues me, and I've been wanting to try it with my speaker amps as well as the LG in a room without so much extra noise. Plus I wanted something in addition to my Mad Dogs to pair with the LG as it seems it might have a bit too much juice for the HD650.

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #269 of 789
It sounds like when tax season rolls around and we move to a new place we'll be making the foray into speakers and if it 'turns' me like quite a few other head-fiers I could easily see my rig turning into an LG + HD800. It was the best I've heard the HD800.

Quote:
To be honest, when I heard the LG at CanJam, I think I preferred the HD800 to the HE-6. However, the HE-6 really intrigues me, and I've been wanting to try it with my speaker amps as well as the LG in a room without so much extra noise. Plus I wanted something in addition to my Mad Dogs to pair with the LG as it seems it might have a bit too much juice for the HD650.

Dec 3, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #270 of 789
Gents, a quick update. The first production LG was assembled this morning. This unit will become a demo unit because it is the amp we used to test out the manufacturing process, but the rest will be real units.

These new amps go together really well and they are very sturdy. I might have to keep one. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back