New Cans....Think theres a problem
Nov 24, 2010 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

StringBoi

100+ Head-Fier
So I got my first pair of HD555's today....they sound excellent, but I keep being drawn to the right side when listening to most music.  It almost sounds as if the right side is ever so slightly louder....or maybe even brighter sounding...I dont know how to explain it.  I put on my old headset and the sound sounds like its coming from the middle of my head (forehead area), on my 555's it seems like 45% left side / 55% right side.  I checked the panning on my music player...it's centered, tried using my mp3 player instead...and listened to quite a few different pieces to see if it was just the recording and it still sounds off.  I just got em today, and I'm feeling bummed that I may have to return them.  Could this go away after a few days, maybe even out?  I've searched online and no ones seemed to have this problem before, even on the worst reviews....I'm wondering if its just me, but after checking with another headset and using a different source, I'm convinced something is off between the two  =(

Nov 24, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 9
This might sound a little obvious, but have you tried turning the headphones around on your head? Does the imbalance switch sides? Also, are the different cups on different levels? Check to make sure the headband is adjusted in the same way on both sides. You can remove the padding without voiding your warranty. Do that and check that the drivers are screwed in properly. If one of them is loose, it might cause an imbalance.

Anyway, judging just from my experiences with higher end Sennheiser products, they offer a lot better tracking than most headphones I've used. Because of that different instuments on different songs tend to lean to either side.

Nov 24, 2010 at 12:28 PM Post #3 of 9
I had this with my Beyer DT770 32ohms when I first got them. The sound seemed to be one the right side more than the left. But after a few hours of listening they started sounding "brighter" and they came into both ears 50/50. Could be just a thing with new headphones, they need to be "burned in" but I mean "burned in" as in just the start of being "burned in" in that the sound will become 50/50 and get "brighter", basically they will sound better.
If after a couple days if they stay the same though, I'd take them back.

Nov 24, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #4 of 9
Wow, I have the same problem with the HD555 that I bought not too long ago, but only the left channel is louder. But not only louder, a bit "brighter" than the right channel.. Is the problem really with burn in, as I have them already for a week?

Nov 24, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #5 of 9
Get a multimeter and check the resistance to each channel. If the resistance is the same, the problem might go away. If they aren't the same the cable needs replacing and you should return them.

Nov 24, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Wow, I have the same problem with the HD555 that I bought about a week ago but only the left channel is louder.. But not only louder, a bit "brighter" than the right channel.. Is the problem really with burn in?

Well I can't really say because with mine they were Beyers... the sound seemed to be in the right channel a bit more, and not very bright sounding. After about 2-3 hours of straight listening they were in both channels and sounding great.
If you have had your headphones for a couple days of listening and it's still a problem, yeah I'd take them back.

Nov 24, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #7 of 9
Hmmm....I left them on all night playing some electronica music, seems to have cleared it up.   I've never used the term before...but I believe, especially in the classical music that I'm listening to, this effect is "soundstage"?  Violins coming from left, viola, cello and bass from the right....I'm not sure if that applies to left/right (panning) also, or just near/far?  Either way they sound better, more even today.

Nov 24, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #8 of 9
i also have this problem with my grado sr80. i sent them for repair about two weeks ago because the left channel was out. now the right channel sounds "brighter" whilst the left channel sounds dull. 

Nov 24, 2010 at 2:18 PM Post #9 of 9
It's really hard to tell if its just me or not....I know I can hear it a lot more with these headphones over my cheap buds, and gaming headset.  Odd thing is, I downloaded some of the 24b/96k samples from LessLoss and they sound great....its my other music that tends to lean to one side...even some of my FLAC's.   I do hear it even less in Dance/Electronic, so I'm sure it's me getting used to hearing the setup of instruments that I was never able to clear so clearly before in classical music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back