New Can for EVERYTHING!
Jun 29, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Uam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmmm interesting. I've been looking at the HF-2 and it would probably be a safe purchase considering I can sell for almost the same price if i don't like them. Thanks for the input guys, I think ill buy these!

BTW: There is limited stock yes? How many are they making? How much time do I have before they run out?

It's not a set number, and Todd (see the ttvj forum) said he would give notice, but I'd follow the HF2 threads, especially in Todd's forum, fairly closely in case you're genuinely interested. It would not be fun to just miss the cut off if you were planning on getting them.

Right now, there are only about 20 of us who were lucky enough to pick them up at CanJam. Most, if not all of us who have them, have a fairly decent amount of experience with lots of headphones, and we're a pretty picky bunch. I don't know of anyone who isn't really happy with them.

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #18 of 30
All right then, I think i've found my headphone! Thanks everybody for the help. Yea I'll check the thread daily. I will order them tomorrow, If I can't (My mom is picky for what I buy with her Paypal account... Especially $500 headphones...) I'll pick them up at the first possible chance I get! Thanks!

Jun 29, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

How are they with Classical, Rock, ect? Are they Comfy?

Ultrasone 780's are quirky headphones. They are very colored and very unrefined, but good nonetheless. As far as impact is concerned, they are tied with Edition 9's for the best I've ever heard. They actually have a bigger impact out of lesser sources/amps. Here's how they do with various types of music (my experience with them has been primarily on a Pico DAC with a Little Dot Mk I amp).

Electronica: Phenomenal headphone. Very close to my Edition 9's in this respect. Actual better for certain songs. Very immersive.

Metal: Once again, the 780 is a phenomenal headphone, particularly with prominent. You will not find a better pair of metal headphones for the price. Attack speed and immersiveness of electric guitar is excellent.

Rock: Good. Better for hard rock or anything with a heavy drum or bass line. Slightly sub-par with light rock.

Jazz: Surprisingly good for a closed headphone. Something about the Ultrasone 780's coloration matches that of a brass intrument. Jazz vocals do sound bad though.

Vocals: The 780 colors the human voice in a rather repulsive manner. It sounds fine if your listening to Lady Gaga or Jimi Hendrix, but your in for a real dissapointment if you want to hear a natural voice.

Classical: The Ultrasone HiFi 780 is probably the worst headphone for classical music in its price-range. It's incredibly colored and sounds veiled. Notes are held for too long. Not that it's horrible. But you won't find worse for above $100 as far as I know.

In conclusion, the Ultrasone HiFi 780 gives excellent attack speed and even better impact, with an exaggerated, but very pleasant bass and accurate mids and highs. However, it lacks refinement and accurate timbre.

Edit: They are comfy but the clamp will take some getting used to.

Jun 29, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyChicken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone 780's are quirky headphones. They are very colored and very unrefined, but good nonetheless. As far as impact is concerned, they are tied with Edition 9's for the best I've ever heard. They actually have a bigger impact out of lesser sources/amps. Here's how they do with various types of music (my experience with them has been primarily on a Pico DAC with a Little Dot Mk I amp).

Electronica: Phenomenal headphone. Very close to my Edition 9's in this respect. Actual better for certain songs. Very immersive.

Metal: Once again, the 780 is a phenomenal headphone, particularly with prominent. You will not find a better pair of metal headphones for the price. Attack speed and immersiveness of electric guitar is excellent.

Rock: Good. Better for hard rock or anything with a heavy drum or bass line. Slightly sub-par with light rock.

Jazz: Surprisingly good for a closed headphone. Something about the Ultrasone 780's coloration matches that of a brass intrument. Jazz vocals do sound bad though.

Vocals: The 780 colors the human voice in a rather repulsive manner. It sounds fine if your listening to Lady Gaga or Jimi Hendrix, but your in for a real dissapointment if you want to hear a natural voice.

Classical: The Ultrasone HiFi 780 is probably the worst headphone for classical music in its price-range. It's incredibly colored and sounds veiled. Notes are held for too long. Not that it's horrible. But you won't find worse for above $100 as far as I know.

In conclusion, the Ultrasone HiFi 780 gives excellent attack speed and even better impact, with an exaggerated, but very pleasant bass and accurate mids and highs. However, it lacks refinement and accurate timbre.

That's actually one of the fairest and best descriptions of the 780s I've read. I'm not a fan of them at all, but I've heard them a couple times, both stock and modded, and I think you've got it right, except for the bass part.
smile.gif
It's just too much for me. All headphones are flawed, but it's funny how we all choose the flaws that we can live with. The lack of refinement and accurate timbre really get to me in a bad way, but I do understand (a little bit) why people like them.

Jun 29, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #21 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyChicken /img/forum/go_quote.gif

bobbychicken, I really enjoyed this, largely because you its like a 'bizzaro-world' description of the strength and weaknesses of several high end AKG phones, at least per the regular Head-Fi brigade. Just reverse each adjective to its polar opposite and change the name of the phones and you could post that as your review of the 701.
wink_face.gif

You basically have a headphone that is great with everything other than natural vocals and classical, with jazz somewhere in the 'reasonable' range - its like the 'Anti-701' headphone !

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:29 PM Post #22 of 30
Audio Technica ESW10JPN's

Jun 29, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #24 of 30
Hey guys, so I ordered the HF2! This is going to be great, I can't wait! Dose anybody know the wait time on these? Anyways, thanks everybody!

Jun 29, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #25 of 30
Uam, I look forward to your feedback once you have burnt those cans in. They arent on my shortlist, but it will be interesting nonetheless.

Jun 29, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #26 of 30
HF2s: If you order soonish, they'll still be in production. Todd is going to give us plenty of warning before production ceases.

The biggest thing to take note of if you order the HF2s is that you might have a few months to wait before they're delivered (only the first 24 were made available at CanJam the rest are all on order and will be trickling out soon, at about 50 a week initially). Not a big issue for most but it can be a deal-breaker for some, apparently.

Edit: whoops, I missed the whole second page. Congrats. Hope waiting til September doesn't bother you.

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by parhelictriangle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HF2s: If you order soonish, they'll still be in production. Todd is going to give us plenty of warning before production ceases.

The biggest thing to take note of if you order the HF2s is that you might have a few months to wait before they're delivered (only the first 24 were made available at CanJam the rest are all on order and will be trickling out soon, at about 50 a week initially). Not a big issue for most but it can be a deal-breaker for some, apparently.

Edit: whoops, I missed the whole second page. Congrats. Hope waiting til September doesn't bother you.

September? Really? Wow, I guess these are quite popular in the Head-Fi community! I think these will sound awesome by impressions, but, why so long?

Jun 30, 2009 at 2:36 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

September? Really? Wow, I guess these are quite popular in the Head-Fi community! I think these will sound awesome by impressions, but, why so long?

Actually these cans were made specifically for the Head-Fi community; if you noted the preconditions for being able to purchase one on TTVJ. Reason why they're delayed, from what I read in another thread, is that Grado is pretty busy so they're only able to push out 50 per week (production constraint).

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Remember that Grados are not 'manufactured' en masse like the big boys and are not rolling off assembly lines. They are personally and professionally made on a much smaller (and preferable) scale. The wait is most certainly worth every minute (or should I say month or two)
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back