New Can for EVERYTHING!
Jun 28, 2009 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

The Uam

100+ Head-Fier
K, so my music library is now gradually turning to FLAC. I currently own an Audio Technica ES-7 and it sounds amazing, but I think I could be doing better. So I bought and Audio-GD Compass. I helped a little, but I think its time for something new...

So, I listen to MANY music genres. I love all types of Rock (indi, classic, alternative, every type of metal known to man), Techno (dubstep, trancecore, happy, dance), Classical, and Musicals (Rent, Cabaret, Spring Awakening...).

As you can see, I need a can that can do all this very well! My source is...
foobar2000(Asio) < USB < Audio-GD Compass < (Insert headphone here)

My budget is around 400 to 500. Max is 600. Also, I live in Canada so take that into account...

Open or Closed. Whichever sounds better!

And, I'm wondering. The Sennheiser HD600 seems like a good choice, but the HD650 looks even better. More bass is fine with me (I'm a bassist so I look for that stuff...)

Lets see what you can do Head-Fi!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 28, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntingtheholy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just buy any random pair of headphones. They can all play everything.

Did that, bought my ES-7's. I'm looking for something with better sound quality, more bass, better head stage and depth, punch...

Jun 28, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #6 of 30
A-T make great headphones, but they arent the only company making headphones. I'd audition the following and see where it leads you:

AD700/AD900
DT250/80
MS1/MS2

Not sure if all of these fit into your budget, but thats my submission.

Jun 29, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ESW-9/10's.

I would but they look like portable headphones. That is up to my ES-7's. I want a dedicated headphone for home use. Now, would the 650s be a better choice then the 600's? Or would the 600's suit me better?
Thank everyone for your suggestions!

Jun 29, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #9 of 30
If you go the 650 route I would also invest in a aftermarket cable. The Denon 2000s however not only pull me into my music, (I listen to just about everything too) but they keep me there for a long time. Another thing to consider is that the Denons have a feather like weight on the head, unlike the 650s or the es7.
Kevin

Jun 29, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Uam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did that, bought my ES-7's. I'm looking for something with better sound quality, more bass, better head stage and depth, punch...

Ultrasone HFI-780.
wink.gif

Jun 29, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #11 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Almoxil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone HFI-780.
wink.gif

How are they with Classical, Rock, ect? Are they Comfy?
Also Denons look awesome but they are closed. I hear open sound better. I have an audiophile store just around the bend where i can try them, but I'm not bringing my entire setup...

Jun 29, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #12 of 30
Looking at your top budget, though slightly above, I'd pick up two: HD650 used, and HF2. They complement each other perfectly, offering different house sounds, but quality sq (read up on both for details). You can then sell the one you chose not to keep for very little, if any, loss, then spend that money on music
smile.gif

I'm a longtime 650 fan, but not so much with most amps. I'm also really enjoying my HF2s with most everything I've been playing other than classical. It's new toy love, so take what I say with that in mind, but I've not been more happily surprised by a headphone in a long time, and am enjoying it thoroughly, though I have "better" headphones. Since it will only be produced for a very limited time, I'm thinking you might want to seriously consider the HF2 first. If you end up not liking it (which I have a hard time imagining with your musical preferences), you'll have no problem selling it to another head-fier and finding something else that will please you.

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #13 of 30
All the headphones above are pretty good recommendations but I'd steer away from the AD series if you like the punchy sound sig. of the ES7. They're not well suited to rock. I'd seriously consider boomana's suggestion of the HF-2 if you wish to explore the Grado food chain, definitely worthwhile since there's a remote/minimal sunk cost if you decide to get rid of it. Even with the tax+brokerage/fee, I bet it will be cheaper than comparable Grados up here in Canada (at least from the local prices I've seen)--don't recall if TTVJ would ship these up here.

Jun 29, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #14 of 30
hearing about the kenwood kh-k1000, im pretty interested in a comparision between that and the hd600 which are often referred to as a great all-rounder.

Jun 29, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #15 of 30
Hmmmm interesting. I've been looking at the HF-2 and it would probably be a safe purchase considering I can sell for almost the same price if i don't like them. Thanks for the input guys, I think ill buy these!

BTW: There is limited stock yes? How many are they making? How much time do I have before they run out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back