New, Burson Playmate 9038 DAC, 2Wpc HeadAmp, Preamp, Changeable opamps.
Jan 2, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #543 of 602
Some updated. Run some tests ( basic ) ... and I identified the faulty Opamp. It's the Vivid that was in the damaged socket. I tried leaving all the stock opamps and replacing one by one ... and one vivid didn't work at all.

I now left 2 Classic and 2 stock opamps. I'm using the damaged socket with a Classic to see if it handles it well. I heard some weird sounds in the beginning "like a pop" in the headphones... but I've been running it at 60 volume for 30 min trying to understand if it fails at some point.

Here is an up-close image like you "asked" Raoul:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1w8v0LfM5PR57GIXXHYj_ndxNjiwD-jXY/view?usp=sharing

( it's the below the right socket ).

Next steps, getting 1x Vivid to replace this one... hope they sell individual units.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #544 of 602
I now left 2 Classic and 2 stock opamps. I'm using the damaged socket with a Classic to see if it handles it well. I heard some weird sounds in the beginning "like a pop" in the headphones... but I've been running it at 60 volume for 30 min trying to understand if it fails at some point.
Not sure why, maybe the legs of the opamps were not making a perfect contact in the sockets. With device not powered, try with fingers and se if any opamp is moving when you touch it. Bending the legs 1/4 mm may help in providing a better electric contact there.

Odd, I wonder if that capacitor blown away or was it the opamp that did blown? Maybe you'd be better of with default JRD5532D because they consume less current and power., although if you say it's working fine with V6 Classic then maybe it's fine to keep 2 x V6 Classic in I/V and leave the other two V6 Vivid in the other two slots.

Jan 3, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #545 of 602
I talked with Burson ... they are sending me a new PCB since this shouldn't happen other than when there's a faulty part.. and I'm still under warranty on both V6s and Playmate.

As for the blown capacitator, yeah, it's working with the Classic right now without any hiccups ... Right now I have 1 less Vivid so I ordered 1 ... until then, I'll keep the JRDs there.

Question, do you think that damage can be fixed on a "normal" electronic repair shop?

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #546 of 602
It's good that Burson is replacing the PCB for free for you!

A local repair shop might try to measure some components there and probably do a fix, but you will still be unable to use that PCB without the rotary-knob card and heatsinks for transistors and a really low-noise 12V/5A power supply.

Jan 14, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #548 of 602
Totally agree … the only thing that gets me frustrated is some QA stuff ( my RCA plugs, for example, if i remove the cables I always loose the shieldings ) … and … well .. the support will always be difficult because Australia … they are 12h away from us in Portugal :)

On a different note, what are you getting to replace your Play ?

Feb 5, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #552 of 602
Have you noticed btw that warranty period have come down a lot what it was like year ago? Now its just 1 year and +1 year when you registered your purchase but when I bought Play 2 years ago I get 5 years warranty. Sure Play is EOL product now but Playmate isnt. Take on Plays and Playmates manuals (dated 26.12.2018 / 21.1.2019) "All Burson Audio products are covered by 24 months of warranty (See conditions below). You can extend the warranty to 5 years by register your Playmate unit on our warranty page" and new Conductor 3 (dated 16.12.2019) "All Burson Audio products are covered by 24 months of warranty (See conditions below). https://www.bursonaudio.com/warranty/." And whats confusing here is that new products page pictures say 1+1 ! ? That´s really downgrade on warranty. That long warranty was big deal when I was buying this expensive product. It tells the company's confidence of product desing and long lasting quality. What happened here? I got share of my problems with Burson´s devices like Play that I get new PCB cos there was noise on other channel (well that was early PCB version now its good with new) and now Playmate that died after half year. Maybe there is desing flaw that is fixed with new PCB (if it is newer version? Hope so) Just needed to spill out my feeling now about this issue. Still I like much about these two products and no one else have this kind of sound quality and features for me its perfect :)

Feb 6, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #553 of 602
Have you noticed btw that warranty period have come down a lot what it was like year ago? Now its just 1 year and +1 year when you registered your purchase but when I bought Play 2 years ago I get 5 years warranty. Sure Play is EOL product now but Playmate isnt. Take on Plays and Playmates manuals (dated 26.12.2018 / 21.1.2019) "All Burson Audio products are covered by 24 months of warranty (See conditions below). You can extend the warranty to 5 years by register your Playmate unit on our warranty page" and new Conductor 3 (dated 16.12.2019) "All Burson Audio products are covered by 24 months of warranty (See conditions below). https://www.bursonaudio.com/warranty/." And whats confusing here is that new products page pictures say 1+1 ! ? That´s really downgrade on warranty. That long warranty was big deal when I was buying this expensive product. It tells the company's confidence of product desing and long lasting quality. What happened here? I got share of my problems with Burson´s devices like Play that I get new PCB cos there was noise on other channel (well that was early PCB version now its good with new) and now Playmate that died after half year. Maybe there is desing flaw that is fixed with new PCB (if it is newer version? Hope so) Just needed to spill out my feeling now about this issue. Still I like much about these two products and no one else have this kind of sound quality and features for me its perfect :)
I guess it is country/region dependent. I have just checked the website of my regional dealer, it says 2 year warranty (bring in) + 1 if you register online.

Feb 6, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #554 of 602
That info was taken on Bursons own site. Well that Conductor 3 has 2+1 years warranty. Seems like they removed this spesial warranty up to 5 years for some of devices and now its 1+1 years only.

Feb 7, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #555 of 602
Anticipating a Playmate hopefully arriving soon. I was wondering about other op-amps that some of you guys may have tried. I only have 4 of the LME49860, and was thinking about giving those a shot if I wanted a change-up from the stock ones. I also have a couple of dual OPA627 and a couple of Vivid 5i I could probably use. It is possible to use 2 / 2 different op-amps in the Playmate, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back