NEW Burson HA-160DS Integrated DAC/Amp
Apr 14, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #121 of 155
[size=10pt]My new HA-160ds came with input selector not working. Very disappointed with burson.. [/size][size=10pt]And while I was comparing 160d to 160ds I realized the ds uses 2 chinese toroidal transformer.. Pretty disappointed too.[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt]http://www.yhdc.com/product2.asp?id=85[/size]

[size=10pt]HPA V200 uses a better quality Nuvotem Talema transformer IMHO... although v200 only has 1 compared to burson with 2 Chinese ones.[/size]

Apr 14, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #122 of 155

Quote:
No doubt that both amps will drive the HE-4 or HE-500 with ease and sound quite good, but IME, orthos really open up with more power.

I tried he-4 with a speaker amp but didn't notice the combo gave me something more than a headphone amp. It was an entry level amplifier though.

Apr 14, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #123 of 155

Quote:
I tried he-4 with a speaker amp but didn't notice the combo gave me something more than a headphone amp. It was an entry level amplifier though.

That might be your issue then. What speaker amp? Was it Class D, AB? I suggest you give some other headphone amps with more power than the HA-160 a try as well.

Apr 14, 2012 at 8:50 PM Post #124 of 155

Quote:
[size=10pt]My new HA-160ds came with input selector not working. Very disappointed with burson.. [/size][size=10pt]And while I was comparing 160d to 160ds I realized the ds uses 2 chinese toroidal transformer.. Pretty disappointed too.[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt]http://www.yhdc.com/product2.asp?id=85[/size]

[size=10pt]HPA V200 uses a better quality Nuvotem Talema transformer IMHO... although v200 only has 1 compared to burson with 2 Chinese ones.[/size]

Is there a big difference between transformer type? And regarding your problem, I'd email burson..they are pretty responsive. 

I think its better to contact them before judging solely for a defective product. 

Apr 15, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #125 of 155

Quote:
[size=10pt]My new HA-160ds came with input selector not working. Very disappointed with burson..[/size]

A few months ago my HA-160 developed a slight hum, they helped me a lot on troubleshooting my amp. Finally send it back for repair. They assumed shipping costs.
Rarely sometimes you'll find a faulty product, since they are made by humans
tongue.gif

it happened with my old meier amp which i sold.

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #126 of 155
[size=10pt]Don’t get me wrong. It is 2 entirely different issues. I’m working with the seller to fix the input selector problem. I’m just disappointed that I’m hit with a defective selector out of the box. And from Burson facebook page you can see that I'm not the only person facing quality issues.. [/size]

[size=10pt]Regarding the transformer, I admit I’m not an expert on it but I don't have a good feeling with it.. I agree that the 160d is an awesome product but what about some proper technical measurements? I would really love to use the measurements and make some reference to the sound.[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]
Quote:
Is there a big difference between transformer type? And regarding your problem, I'd email burson..they are pretty responsive. 

I think its better to contact them before judging solely for a defective product. 

Apr 16, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #127 of 155

Quote:
That might be your issue then. What speaker amp? Was it Class D, AB? I suggest you give some other headphone amps with more power than the HA-160 a try as well.

Azur 350A. I don't know what class it is, probably D?

Apr 16, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #128 of 155

Quote:

Azur 350A. I don't know what class it is, probably D?

That's likely the issue. I'd recommend you try some other amps as well. Maybe a local meet (always a great way to hear a bunch of gear in an afternoon).

Apr 21, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #130 of 155
Bought one of these and paired it with some Q701's after much auditioning. Compared many headphones, T1's, 880's, 990's, k701's, Q701's, W5000's, HD5000's, HD600's, HD650's, LCD-2's, HD800's and some others. Paired the above with Audio GD, Burson, Luxman, Violectric, Woo, Lehmann, and Shiit. Just kept coming back to the Burson DS and after much time, settled on the Q701's. I rated them better sounding for me than anything named above with the exception of the LCD2's and HD800's. Everything else coloured the sound too much for me. Loving this combo with everything I throw at it, from metal to jazz to dubstep. Love how it can drive difficult cans around the 500-600ohm range quite capably too, although of course some more power would be nice for planars. Id have loved to get the dac and amp as standalones, but the value of the DS was too good to pass up for my needs.

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #133 of 155

Quote:
Very nice looking setup you have there!  Makes me miss my K701.  It's great you got to audition all of those headphones and amps, wish there was some place around here.

No retailers near?
sad we need more in the Us..i had to travel to a local meet to audition the HA-160. @phonyx, nice setup there. 

Apr 23, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #134 of 155

Quote:

No retailers near?
sad we need more in the Us..i had to travel to a local meet to audition the HA-160. @phonyx, nice setup there. 

Got my HA-160 today and paired with my HD650.  Loving it!  The bass seems to have more punch and detail than before, listening to some Primus at the moment and it sounds amazing.  The one thing I noticed with the Burson is it doesn't sound as digital/harsh as my E9.  The E9 seems digital where the Burson sounds more like my turntable now.  I like it!

Yeah sucks about the retailers around here.  Only thing is Walmart or radioshack for a 50 miles radius. 
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back