NEW Burson HA-160DS Integrated DAC/Amp
Apr 27, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #137 of 155
Are you using wasapi in exclusive mode? 

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #138 of 155
yes. wasapi in execlusive mode.. i've confirm with Alex in Burson this behaviour is normal. I think when it's in execlusive mode and so there is no upsampling or anything by windows  the frequency keep changing with the file and thus the tick tick noise. it's kinda irritating

Anyway i'm sending in my Burson for refund. My second unit of HA-160DS has this same issue of input selector not functioning properly. When I switch inputs often the selector will HANG and the orange light will stuck at the first RCA input. This is definitely a design issue, it's not working well with wasapi. I don't know is there some kind of relay circuit that will hang when you switch the inputs or is there some kind of warm up time after you switch the unit on. This is extremely disturbing. I’ve never encounter an audio product with so many issues. I wonder has Burson even fully tested the product.Time to move on.

Apr 28, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #139 of 155
So as not to start a new thread, but I just received the HA-160DS to use with my HD650s. The initial listen is a GREAT step up above the Little Dot DAC_II DAC/AMP combo unit I got not long ago. (Yes, when there's an equipment itch, I usually like to go for 2's!)

One thing I was working on was using foobar2000 with the ASIO4ALL output driver on the DAC_II, which sounded quite noticeably more detailed/crisp on music than the WASAPI driver. With the Burson, it seems I'm unable to use ASIO4ALL and thus I have selected the WASAPI output driver to use. It sounds noticeably better than the ASIO4ALL driver on the DAC_II but I'm wondering if I'm missing something with not understanding/knowing how to get the ASIO drivers working with the Burson.

Can anyone let me know if they've set foobar2000 up to use ASIO output drivers properly? Maybe it's an option that's just not possible.

Thanks!

Apr 29, 2012 at 2:55 AM Post #140 of 155

Quote:
One thing I was working on was using foobar2000 with the ASIO4ALL output driver on the DAC_II, which sounded quite noticeably more detailed/crisp on music than the WASAPI driver. With the Burson, it seems I'm unable to use ASIO4ALL and thus I have selected the WASAPI output driver to use. It sounds noticeably better than the ASIO4ALL driver on the DAC_II but I'm wondering if I'm missing something with not understanding/knowing how to get the ASIO drivers working with the Burson.

Finally figured it out. Had to look at the settings in ASIO4ALL and disable the INput on the WDM Device List section. 

In any case, anyone using ASIO4ALL and has tweaked the settings to get the best output from the ASIO driver?

May 7, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #141 of 155
Quote:

Finally figured it out. Had to look at the settings in ASIO4ALL and disable the INput on the WDM Device List section. 

In any case, anyone using ASIO4ALL and has tweaked the settings to get the best output from the ASIO driver?

Its been a long time since i dont use ASIO. Sometimes its a bit tricky to set up properly, if something done wrong you get bad results. 

Why dont stick to wasapi? do you hear a big difference between them? 

May 8, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #142 of 155
Quote:

Its been a long time since i dont use ASIO. Sometimes its a bit tricky to set up properly, if something done wrong you get bad results. 

Why dont stick to wasapi? do you hear a big difference between them? 

I hear slight differences that are noticeable to my ears. It's definitely not something "placebo" related since I'm fairly objective on these things. It's not as noticeable on the HD650s I listen to but I recently was lent a set of HD800s and it's highly noticeable through these. Most likely due to how much more resolving in details the HD800s are vs. the HD650s (another discussion topic). 

Jun 30, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #143 of 155
OK, notwithstanding earlier comments posted re: HE-500, I got a new HE-5LE 2 weeks ago, so still breaking them in.  Today I got a new HA-160DS.  So, too early to give a decent assessment.  As this thread is about the Burson, I won't go OT about the phones, except to say that first impression is that these two already seem quite synergistic.  On a very wide variety of music, sourced both from my laptop and my CD Player, the sound is natural, the noise floor is pitch black, resolution is very good, and the soundstage is spacious but gives no hint of loss of control.   The Burson seems to drive the HE-5LE effortlessly.   Apparent "conversational" volume is achieved between 9:00 o'clock and 10:30.  Taking any material or input source to 12:00 o'clock is too loud for me to handle.
NOTE: In contrast with earlier quotes re: the output power of the Burson, the manual says: 200mW/300 Ohms, 800mW/60 Ohms.  I figure this means about 1 full watt into the HE-5LE with 38 Ohms impedance.  Is it possible more recently manufactured HA-160DS's have a stronger output section than earlier copies?  Am I missing something?

More later when burn in goes to triple digit hours...

Jun 30, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #144 of 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Apparent "conversational" volume is achieved between 9:00 o'clock and 10:30.  Taking any material or input source to 12:00 o'clock is too loud for me to handle.

This is the volume level I've got mine set to for most listening sessions. Further into the night and it goes back to the 7:00-8:00 o'clock position. But sounds about right, with both my headphones, funny enough (25 ohms vs. 300 ohms).

Jul 17, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #145 of 155
Hello, anyone has an idea of the match of burson ha160ds with sennheiser hd700? Thanks.

Jul 17, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #146 of 155
Should be a great match for the HD700s. They mate very well with HD650 and HD800. They were designed, in fact, with the HD650 as a test headphone by Burson.

Jul 19, 2012 at 1:42 AM Post #147 of 155
Quote:
Hello, anyone has an idea of the match of burson ha160ds with sennheiser hd700? Thanks.

I've tried most of the sennheiser line with my Ds and they match really nice. 

I loved the HD650 + Ds combo. 

Apr 10, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #148 of 155
Quote:
Should be a great match for the HD700s. They mate very well with HD650 and HD800. They were designed, in fact, with the HD650 as a test headphone by Burson.

I'm not sure if it was designed to sonically match the HD650, the way I read it was that it was designed to play nice with the reactive load the HD650's represent.

May 25, 2013 at 2:41 AM Post #149 of 155
i am experiencing a mechanical clicking/popping sound within the amp itself and sent the following email to burson...

"The problem I am encountering with the Burson Audio HA-160DS Headphone Amp / DAC is some sort of mechanical clicking noise from the box itself. This happens when I select the laptop as the source and is independent of the volume level. When I select the source to interconnect "I" or the coaxial RCA "C", then the clicking noise goes away. It only happens with the USB "U". I noticed the noise goes away in "U" mode when i disconnect the cables from the other sources. As I would like to leave all the cables connected, it would be a hassle and seemingly a design defect if i had to plug in the cables in each time I wanted to listen to other sources. Have there been others who experienced this issue and are there known solutions? "

they sent back the following reply...

"[size=12pt]The click is from a relay which is designed to protect the DAC chip from external shocks. It clicks in the following situations.[/size]
[size=12pt]  [/size]
[size=12pt] 1. When there is an input of digital noise that is unrecognisable by the DAC chip.  Sometimes, such noise can be generated by the PC power supply or an old hard drive.  Such noises can travel through the USB cable into the DAC.  [/size]
[size=12pt] 2. When there is a power surge or DC leakage from other source components. [/size]
[size=12pt] 3. When you are changing the sample/bit rate of audio playback from the Computer. [/size]
[size=12pt]  [/size]
[size=12pt] When these situations happen the relay clicks to shut down the DAC chip momentary.  [/size]
[size=12pt]  [/size]
[size=12pt] If the relay clicks frequently during playback then please ask the customer to try another PC or try another audio file.   Such issues seems more common with the USB input because other play back sources, ie CD player and DAC have relatively better power supplies and less non audio related components inside which can generate interference. "[/size]
[size=12pt]  [/size]
[size=12pt]  [/size]
[size=12pt] does this seem plausible? thanks.[/size]

Jun 5, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #150 of 155
Here in Europe you can get "Conductor, Headphone Amp + pre-amp + DAC" for €1770, and that is less if were to buy separately "Soloist Headphone + Pre amp" and "DA-160 DAC" (€1790 together).
Other choice one of these "HA-160D" (€1150) or "HA-160DS" (€899). I was interested in the later one until I found that neither of these two has TOSLINK (and that is bad).
Also considered the "HA-160" (€699) and "DA-160 DAC" (€850), which together gives (€1549). But then what is the "Pre-Amp" thing that will be missing? Is it something that you'd normally need?

Just noticed here (http://bursonaudio.com/Burson_Conductor.html) they say that Conductor supports: 32 bits / 44.1K, 48K, 88.2K, 96K, 176.4K, 192KHz via COAX & Toslink / SPDIF.
So I think, this is where I stop searching, and start saving money:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back