NEW Burson HA-160DS Integrated DAC/Amp
Feb 15, 2012 at 8:44 AM Post #106 of 155

Quote:
I have just received my HA-160DS, and It is a very poor match for the HE-500. Low volume and anemic bottom end. It was outperformed by a wide margin by my Fiio E9/E17.

It's so bad, I contacted Burson, and they indicated that I could ship my amp and my HE-500 to them to optimize. I was unable to get an answer from them on what this optimization might involve. 

At nearly $200 to ship from Canada to Australia, this was a non starter.

The saving grace, is that with my Lawton LA-7000, they are a match made in heaven! Deep and impactful bass, rich mids and vocals, and controlled high end. The speed and clarity is stunning. My previous systems, Lyr/LCD-2 rev 2 and My HD800 were both well loved, but the HA-160DS with the LA-7000 is damn near perfect.

Highly Recommended, just not with the HE-500. 

You bought your Burson from Australia ? why ? you can get it from Partconnxion here in Toronto.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #107 of 155
I had H160DS for about over a month now and with my Denon 7K it's prefect.
However I am not impressed with DAC section, I still hear hissing and ear piercing trebles. :frowning2:

Feb 15, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #108 of 155
However I am not impressed with DAC section, I still hear hissing and ear piercing trebles. :frowning2:

I have similar issues. What music are you listening to? I think its just the Burson's solid state nature coming into play here. Its not forgiving of poor source material, though its not as bad as some of the other gear on the market. I'm considering swapping out my Burson for some tube gear, I need something that lets me still enjoy the lo-fi parts of my music collection.

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #109 of 155

Quote:

How about the Audez'e on your sig? 

I also own the Ds, but never had any kind of issue with piercing trebles..knowing the warm nature of the dac. 

Have you tried connecting to another source? i guess the hissing comes from your PC. 

Feb 16, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #110 of 155

Quote:
You bought your Burson from Australia ? why ? you can get it from Partconnxion here in Toronto.

I did purchase from Partsconnexion. For the HE-500 "optimization" Burson wanted it shipped to them.

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #111 of 155

I have similar issues. What music are you listening to? I think its just the Burson's solid state nature coming into play here. Its not forgiving of poor source material, though its not as bad as some of the other gear on the market. I'm considering swapping out my Burson for some tube gear, I need something that lets me still enjoy the lo-fi parts of my music collection.

I am thinking of getting WA22 fully balanced tube amp. I might keep burson for office use. :)

Feb 16, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #112 of 155
Feb 16, 2012 at 8:27 AM Post #113 of 155

How about the Audez'e on your sig? 

I also own the Ds, but never had any kind of issue with piercing trebles..knowing the warm nature of the dac. 

Have you tried connecting to another source? i guess the hissing comes from your PC. 

LCD2 with Burson it's alright, I was not impressed but definitely made my LCD2 warmer.

Feb 23, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #115 of 155

Quote:
To you all:

Whats your favourite headphone for the 160DS?

I really like the synergy with my Pro750's. The others work fine as well. 

Mar 28, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #116 of 155

To you all:

Whats your favourite headphone for the 160DS?

Well for me, between AH-D7000 and LCD2, I have to go with AH-D7000, I notice significant difference, for example, bass is lot more harder and deeper and reduces bit of trebles which makes AH-D7000 a fun headphone. :)

Apr 11, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #117 of 155
Hey Guys - I've been auditioning the HA 160D and really like the sound signature it has.  But its a little out of my budget - how does the DS compare to the D? I've read there is a little less bass and a little less detail resolution - is that true? It kind of worries me, as while the price appeals I want to get the same sound.  Any advice from those that have heard them?

Apr 11, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #118 of 155

Quote:
Looks like only 250mW max...Not ideal for orthos IMO:

"Output power: 250mW (less than 1% distortion)"

http://bursonaudio.com/HA_160DS.html

My Auditor has similar low output on paper but it can power HE-4 with ease.

Apr 11, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #119 of 155

Quote:
Hey Guys - I've been auditioning the HA 160D and really like the sound signature it has.  But its a little out of my budget - how does the DS compare to the D? I've read there is a little less bass and a little less detail resolution - is that true? It kind of worries me, as while the price appeals I want to get the same sound.  Any advice from those that have heard them?

Havent done an A/B comparison between them (D version vs Ds)
burson says they are identical, except for the stepped attenuator, inputs and the transformers. It shouldnt be a difference (or a big difference)
one thing with the Ds it needs some burn in for the bass to tighten up, at least 40+ hours.

Apr 11, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #120 of 155

Quote:
My Auditor has similar low output on paper but it can power HE-4 with ease.

No doubt that both amps will drive the HE-4 or HE-500 with ease and sound quite good, but IME, orthos really open up with more power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back