NEW Burson HA-160DS Integrated DAC/Amp
Dec 17, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #76 of 155

Quote:
Ok, well I just got the Burson, for the second time. The first time the seller sent me a DOA 160D when I ordered a 160DS. So my first impression was pretty bad, it was new in box from Burson as far as I could tell. My second impressions with a brand new, working 160DS are disappointing to say the least. Compared to my Essence STX the sound is much smoother and more refined, but it leaves me wanting. It sounds like there is a veil over the highs, and the bass seems a little quiet. I guess this is 'warm' huh.. I know the Essence is on the brighter side of things, to the point its quite fatiguing, but I've since switched back to it, I'd much rather be a little fatigued than yawning which I was with the Burson. To make it worse, the Essence is not powerful enough to drive my Sones so it can be a little staticy/flat sounding. The burson has some grain in the sound, and I'm not sure what its excuse is, but it adds to the veil. I'll be trying out the Burson more for the next few days, maybe its the fact that I'm comparing the two at 2AM or the fact that I got a cold but I'm not too pleased with it right now. Should I be expecting any changes with burn-in, or is this pretty much it?

160DS need AT LEAST 50 hours of burn-in, my review unit sounded the same at first, after 50 hours the situation changed drastically. Still 160D has better PRaT and bass than 160DS.

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #78 of 155

Quote:
Ok, well I just got the Burson, for the second time. The first time the seller sent me a DOA 160D when I ordered a 160DS. So my first impression was pretty bad, it was new in box from Burson as far as I could tell. My second impressions with a brand new, working 160DS are disappointing to say the least. Compared to my Essence STX the sound is much smoother and more refined, but it leaves me wanting. It sounds like there is a veil over the highs, and the bass seems a little quiet. I guess this is 'warm' huh.. I know the Essence is on the brighter side of things, to the point its quite fatiguing, but I've since switched back to it, I'd much rather be a little fatigued than yawning which I was with the Burson. To make it worse, the Essence is not powerful enough to drive my Sones so it can be a little staticy/flat sounding. The burson has some grain in the sound, and I'm not sure what its excuse is, but it adds to the veil. I'll be trying out the Burson more for the next few days, maybe its the fact that I'm comparing the two at 2AM or the fact that I got a cold but I'm not too pleased with it right now. Should I be expecting any changes with burn-in, or is this pretty much it?

After som days of burin, what do you think of the amp now?

Dec 19, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #79 of 155
I was very hasty to judge before and I apologize for that. I'm about 25 hours in on it now(can't burn-in continously, still living at home) and my impressions are completely changed. The veil is gone, and the unit is settling in nicely. The only thing missing from the highs compared to the essence is the fatigue. The ASUS sounds like a cheap toy in comparison now. Hopefully with a little more burn in the highs will smooth out a little more, its a bit sibilant at the moment. Besides that, the sound stage is a little bit on the smaller side with a wall on each side(does that make any sense?), but thats not a deal breaker at all to me.
On one song I noticed that what I had previously thought to be static in one recording was actually not a flaw in production, but was the sound of an old TV in the corner of the room. Quite amazing to get details like that out of a Xastur record.

Dec 25, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #80 of 155
Have anyone tested DS with HD800? I have a nice offer for that package aswell as with D but 200e more expensive. Im not sure which route should i pick... both seems to be a great bang for a buck but still im in dilemma. 

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #82 of 155
Hello all,
I am thinking about purchasing a 160DS. Is there any other headphone amp for less money on the same performance level? I currently own a modded Matrix X, and a LD mk 3. I am using K701s and Sen 600s with cardas cables.

Jan 3, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #83 of 155

Quote:
how is HA-160DS sound with k702.
More importantly how similar is the amp section of 160 DS is to the HA 160, thanks. 

From what i know they work well with akg, the amp section looks similar to the 160 version. The difference is the alps pot. power supply and only 1 headphone jack. 

Jan 14, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #88 of 155

Quote:
Guys, how this 160ds will work with the LCD-3's? thoughts..

FWIW, it drives the LCD2s well, but not amazingly.

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #90 of 155

Quote:

Thanks. 

I have read nothing but good things about the 160D + LCD-2. Think its better going for the D version? 

Sorry, I have the D version, so my comment is in regards to it, not the DS, I posted without reading. Though to my knowledge the DAC and Headamp are the same in the D and DS, only difference being the volume knob, preamp, and second headphone jack

And yes, it is a great combo. It drives them (the LCD2s) well, very well I should say. But not "amazingly", by amazingly I mean we are getting up out of the league of the current Burson products.

I think for the money (~$900 for the DS and ~$1,250 for the D) they are very hard to beat.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back