New Burson Conductor - V2 and V2+
Mar 19, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #167 of 1,276
We then, not the end just the beginning. Headfiers let me enjoy what you have invested in by doing your reviews and comments. Surreptitious enjoyment is better than none at all,
I am not good a fancy audiophile terminology, but let me know how it changes by our favourite tunes and what you like better.

Keep smiling all
and Good luck Burson and buyers
Dave

Mar 20, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #168 of 1,276
Just stumbled across the Gryphon Kalliope DAC. I've never heard it. But after reading about its design, I'd be very curious to see how it compared to the V2+. Gryphon seem to take a similar approach to Burson in using discrete parts, paying great attention to power supplies, the 9018 chip, transistors...

There are differences - the Kalliope has dual mono design, uses two Sabre chips and does DSD up to 512mHz. But for €20k, you'd damn well expect your money to be going somewhere...

http://www.gryphon-audio.dk/products/da-converters/kalliope.aspx

Let me know if you've heard it.

The V2+ may not be a Kalliope, but it shares much in the way of design philosophy. On the upside, Burson has it all over Gryphon in the industrial design department :sunglasses:

Mar 20, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #170 of 1,276
Like a full Chord set up with mono blocks, speakers not included....
£100,000 or $144,000.

If they did a Burson reduction. That's still £75,000

If a Ferrari full of super models comes free, it's on my xmas list...
Oh and next week's lottery numbers..

Mar 20, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #171 of 1,276
Haha!! I was not suggesting I was interested in buying the Gryphon... :upside_down:
My interest was more about how similar the design is to the Burson.
My point was that if Burson have a similar design philosophy to that used in such DACs, then they're probably doing something right.

My larger point was that you get a very well thought out design for a modest amount. Burson offers darn good bang for the buck, me thinks.

Mar 21, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #173 of 1,276
Hey guys, I took delivery of two of these units a couple of weeks back, I thought I'd wait a while before posting my impressions but I can't hold it back anymore.

I had the original Conductor Virtuoso PCM1792, and I liked it. It was smooth and powerful.
I was lucky enough to upgrade to the V2+ with the Sabre 32bit chip and I'm astounded. There's more detail, and it was a bit confronting at first, but it rounded out over time, and now I don't think I could go back. I listen with the HD600, HD650, HD800, and HD800S.

I get to work in Hifi stores here and there in Sydney, and I'm privvy to some great headphones and gear, but I honestly can say the Conductors V2+ is now my favourite bit of gear. The DAC is on par with the Devialet LE-800 I just ordered and I think it's the end game for a desktop solution.

Side note, I picked up gaming again more recently, and maybe it's just me, but the sheer detail of the amp at low volumes has made me a better player, I'm hearing things I never heard before (even on the old conductor), which was a pleasant side-effect of the upgrade. 

If you're on Windows 10, you may get a popup saying the file is harmful when you download it (it's not), just push on and install as usual.

Kudos to Burson and the team behind the V2+, it's going to stay here for a long time. 

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:20 AM Post #174 of 1,276
That's a most compelling case!
Well put! :slight_smile:

Burson seem particularly understated with this release. I always admire humility, but have been itching to know more about how and why this is so much better than previous versions... And to have it compared to Devielet speaks volumes.

I've little doubt that I'm not the only one getting more excited after reading that :wink:

P.S. I've long been using Team Burson.. but after our former PM talked about 'Team Australia', it's forever sullied in my eyes. Sadness

Mar 21, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #175 of 1,276
Devialet LE-800 £17,980.00

I changed my mind on bang for buck on the Burson

It's tactical nuclear penguin.. for buck..

Aussie rules isn't just a sport...

Keep smiling and add those mini reviews people, just be honest..
Dave

Mar 21, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #176 of 1,276
What I want to do is do an A/B comparison for the onboard Devialet DAC when I get it. Then I'll do a three way roundup with the Burson, Devialet, and Linn Akkurate DSM, all on a pair of Sonus Faber Lilliums' using the amp stage of the Devialet for all 3.

I can't say the Devialet is the best DAC in its class at that price point, but when you look at the Devialet package as a whole it makes more sense. It has a DAC, Phono stage, Optical, Line in, its a one-box solution for most people.

What I can say though, is both DACs are neutral with a Class-A bias. The ADH technology adds warmth in the LE-800 and the discrete Class-A does the same for the Burson. Bass is authorative with both, and the highs are detailed, a little more "Front Row" than things with the PCM1792 chip.
But I prefer to keep the source neutral and change phones or speakers if I'm after a different flavour.

I have a Vincent KHV-1 amp sitting on top of my V2+, and it was a relatively new addition which I added because I was afraid I would lose the airs and analogue nature of my setup. Using the DAC section of the Burson and the valve amp section of the KHV-1 I get the voices pushed forward, but a little less in the bottom end. Detail is better with the Burson amp section, and it's far more neutral, the Burson has more air, images better and can drive anything I can throw at it. I bought the KHV-1 and I don't use it.

Now I haven't turned off either of my V2+'s for almost a week now, I don't want to get caught up in the burn in thing, but if it seems bright to begin with, just give it some time.

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #177 of 1,276
Thanks for the review, Fezz, it has made me even more anxious to receive my V2+.  In order to have an alternative to my LCDs, I am planning to run a pair of bookshelf speakers via a yet-to-be determined power amp.  My questions to you are:

When you plug in your headphones, does the V2+ continue to send a pre-amp output to the external power amp? 

Similarly, when using the DAC output on the back of the V2+, does the DAC signal continue to go to the V2+ pre-amp as well?

Lastly, my WA7 can be used as a DAC only without even powering on the unit - Does the V2+ DAC work in a similar fashion?

As you have probably guessed, I am thinking about how best to set up my own A/B testing.

Thanks in advance!

Mar 21, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #178 of 1,276
  Thanks for the review, Fezz, it has made me even more anxious to receive my V2+.  In order to have an alternative to my LCDs, I am planning to run a pair of bookshelf speakers via a yet-to-be determined power amp.  My questions to you are:

When you plug in your headphones, does the V2+ continue to send a pre-amp output to the external power amp? 

Similarly, when using the DAC output on the back of the V2+, does the DAC signal continue to go to the V2+ pre-amp as well?

Lastly, my WA7 can be used as a DAC only without even powering on the unit - Does the V2+ DAC work in a similar fashion?

As you have probably guessed, I am thinking about how best to set up my own A/B testing.

Thanks in advance!

No worries, I used to contribute a bit more often years ago, but I couldn't remember my username, so I had to start a fresh!

I hope you've auditioned the LS50 bookshelf just between you and me...

The Pre-Amp outs will turn off automatically once headphones have been plugged in

I don't have anything connected to the Analogue inputs, and I don't have anything handy. But I can answer the others.

Yes, the V2+ will send audio simultaneously to the front headphone output, the preamp output, and the DAC output from the DAC setting.  

No, the V2+ will not output audio while it's off, if plugged in with USB. The unit needs to be turned on.

Mar 21, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #179 of 1,276
The OP here, and one of the first to buy via Indiegogo.

So at this point, does anyone here know when those of us in the States might be getting our Conductors?

I'm excited.

Dave, who says this will be his second CV and it will go into his main system as the first CV is in his secondary system

Mar 21, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #180 of 1,276
  The OP here, and one of the first to buy via Indiegogo.

So at this point, does anyone here know when those of us in the States might be getting our Conductors?

I'm excited.

Dave, who says this will be his second CV and it will go into his main system as the first CV is in his secondary system

I don't think we can commute the idea that because I have mine, the rest of the campaign items are ready.

I bought mine a while ago, before the campaign started, and had to wait for the assembly and delivery of my 2 units which were paid for in November last year.

I do know however, that Alex is taking alot of care in the testing of the units, I know I told the guys to take their time with the testing of my units. A little patience and hopefully it translates into a product that is faultless when it hits your doorsteps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back