New Burson Conductor - V2 and V2+
Mar 12, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #136 of 1,276
  Hi!

I am just new forumer here. :)

My only concern with the Burson Conductor V2 is that it may lack the higher reserved  power for transients/dynamics specially at high impedance headphones around 300 to 600Ohm plus the low sensitivity level of the cans within this range of Impedance. please correct me if i am wrong but 500/250mW is a bit low in terms of "raw" power and the voltage in can deliver during peaks and dynamics when playing a signal. Also, i am not sure why they didnt include a balanced connections in this amp, yes properly implemented unbalanced will still sound superior compared to balanced connection but i dont think Burson will, make a crappy implementation and make it the weakest link of their product.

I love Burson, i have one the Soloist SL and modest Shure SRH 1840 and i am tempted with the Conductor V2, but what makes me think twice of buying the Conductor is the reserved power and the balanced connections. Ofcourse if i want to upgrade I will definitely go for the top-tier Headphones and most of them have a high impedance and of course the way how hard its respective drivers can be driven.

Please let me know, "if my perceptions" are relevant or not.

:)  

I know that's what the numbers say, but numbers alone don't always tell the full story, do they?

As mentioned by lots of head-fiers, the previous Conductors are brilliant in driving the Audezes, which are harder to drive cans.  I don't have any Audezes so I can't say if that is true or not.  However I certainly have no problem using the old 4watt only first gen Conductor with my Beyer T1 (actually works really well!).  All it needs is med gain and about 50% volume, and that's enough to make you deaf in some louder music.  Granted the T1 is probably the easiest to drive 600Ohms out there, but the Conductor certainly have no problem driving my 300Ohms Sennheisers.

Just to throw in the mix, as many people would say one of the most (if not the most) difficult to drive cans out there, the Hifiman HE-6.  The Conductor has no problem driving the HE6 to a sound level that will deafen your ears, but I do find Hifiman's own EF-6 a better match with the HE-6.  In contrast, the Conductor does not give the upper lows, and the mids like the EF6 does, hence the HE6 sounds a bit shouty, bright and not that enjoyable.  But that is just the signature of the Burson being more neutral.  Other than that (or may be AKG's K1000), I don't think you can find any headphones out that the Burson has not got the power to handle.

Victor

Mar 13, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #137 of 1,276

I know that's what the numbers say, but numbers alone don't always tell the full story, do they?

As mentioned by lots of head-fiers, the previous Conductors are brilliant in driving the Audezes, which are harder to drive cans.  I don't have any Audezes so I can't say if that is true or not.  However I certainly have no problem using the old 4watt only first gen Conductor with my Beyer T1 (actually works really well!).  All it needs is med gain and about 50% volume, and that's enough to make you deaf in some louder music.  Granted the T1 is probably the easiest to drive 600Ohms out there, but the Conductor certainly have no problem driving my 300Ohms Sennheisers.

Just to throw in the mix, as many people would say one of the most (if not the most) difficult to drive cans out there, the Hifiman HE-6.  The Conductor has no problem driving the HE6 to a sound level that will deafen your ears, but I do find Hifiman's own EF-6 a better match with the HE-6.  In contrast, the Conductor does not give the upper lows, and the mids like the EF6 does, hence the HE6 sounds a bit shouty, bright and not that enjoyable.  But that is just the signature of the Burson being more neutral.  Other than that (or may be AKG's K1000), I don't think you can find any headphones out that the Burson has not got the power to handle.

Victor

Thank you so much for this clarification Mr. Victor. :)

I am planning to make an upgrade soon on my desktop audio set up and i dont want it to be the weakest link in the signal chain that is why i am looking for an amp that can cater almost all headphones. My plan is to buy an amplifier and then demo headphones and dacs.

Currently my choices are Burson Conductor V2, Bryston BHA 1 and Violectric V281.

Mar 13, 2016 at 5:32 AM Post #138 of 1,276
I suppose you have an all in one option with the new Burson, until you have chosen a super dac option$$$.
Depending on your tastes, I would recommend a listen to the Ether.
If you are lucky enough to go to meets,try and get a modded Ether on your head.
I am waiting for Dan to bring out his Pads. But I got the Audeze microsuede vegans. Very nice. Will be doing other mini felt mods and a thinner 1.1 foam mod.... Ref maxx134 SBAFriends Ether mod + Ether thread here.

Nice to have options on phones...
Whatever you choose good luck.. Nice to save some $$$ on the Burson now though..
Keep smiling

Dave

Mar 13, 2016 at 6:13 AM Post #139 of 1,276
Thank you so much Mr. Middy on the recommendation. It would have been easier choice if Burso had made a balanced connection for Conductor but i guess we cannot have it all. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mar 13, 2016 at 7:13 AM Post #140 of 1,276
8^) Just have fun with whatever you choose. At this level,there is very little wrong, just a different flavour.
The new Burson can drive a tank it seems...let us know what you do get.

Always nice to see people enjoying and sharing what they learn.

Headfi would just catalogue otherwise... 8^p

Mar 13, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #146 of 1,276
Mar 13, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #148 of 1,276
I have been on the fence and waited too long.  I ended up with two Pulse Infinity Setups but I needed to sell off one but the market for Pulse Infinities seems really weak so I haven't.

I'm sorry to hear that. I've never heard the Pulse Infinity but I've got no doubt that it's also a very good performer. I can see the advantage of having two different set up though....

Mar 13, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #150 of 1,276
Wow, good to see Burson's campaign finally taking off, with one of the perk already sold out!

It is not often to find an established company like Burson participating in IDGG (so you know they will deliver).

Also, as this is not a totally new product, i.e. its an upgrade to the acclaimed existing Conductor Virtuoso (so you know you are not part of an experiment!).

Well done Burson for letting us music lovers/audiophiles into the high end audio world at such an affordable price.

Well done fellow backers for grabbing such an incredible deal.  You will have a lot of very good time with your new toy (or tool when trying to explain to your wives).

The only problem as I said before, is you will want to throw away all your MP3's and re-rip all your music to lossless/hi-res.

p.s. Sorry Dave(Middy) you can't take advantage of this deal, may be you can trade-in some of your alarm clocks in the future.
wink.gif

Victor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back