New Burson Conductor - V2 and V2+
Oct 11, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #1,234 of 1,276
hello
im using my pc -> cv2+ -> nad c355 -> speakers, what's the difference between pre out and dac out? pre out sound more loud
Ty
Both DAC-Out and Pre-Out have their volume adjustable from the same knob. DAC-Out has a max. output level a bit higher than 3V RMS, while Pre-Out has over 10V RMS.
Dac-Out has a lower background noise, so I recommend you to use this one to connect it to the amplifier (around 72% is the 2V RMS, so don't pass this volume reading).
You might find some more details on my review; link's on previous page.

Oct 11, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #1,236 of 1,276
Well, your external amplifier might not like an input voltage higher than 2V RMS, but you can double check this by reading amp's datasheet. Usually you don't need more than 2V RMS to "attack" an external amplifier, so this is why I recommend you to not pass the 72 marking if connected to DAC-Out of the CV2+.

Oct 11, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #1,238 of 1,276
" Input sensitivity (rated output into 8 Ω) 940mV ", so even with 1V this amp will have enough juice. As I don't see a max. input sensitivity for the power amp and with 0.94V this amp can get to it's max. potential @8Ohms, I still think that passing 2V RMS makes no sense.

Oct 12, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #1,239 of 1,276
Thank you !
I will test if i have better sound quality result turn up the volume in the amp and set at 72 the burson
:D
The burson at 33-50 it's something like 1vrms i think, but i need to push volume so much and speaker doesn't get louder XDD i think 72 suit much better..

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #1,240 of 1,276
Thank you !
I will test if i have better sound quality result turn up the volume in the amp and set at 72 the burson
:D
The burson at 33-50 it's something like 1vrms i think, but i need to push volume so much and speaker doesn't get louder XDD i think 72 suit much better..
Experimenting with this is very safe you will hear very obvious distortion when you overdrive the amp long before any damage to components could occur

Oct 13, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #1,241 of 1,276
At 99% the CV2+ will have at DAC-out voltage a bit over 3V RMS, so probably the input stage of the connected external amplifier will start to distort.

Important thing is to not pass over 55% on the CV2+ if the amplifier is connected to PRE-out, because at 99% it will deliver over 10V RMS and most amplifiers are compatible with "line-level" input sensitivity (usually between 0.7 and 2.2V RMS). The PRE-out should only be used in studio environments or by people that really need a higher amplification for the I/II analogue inputs (or int special applications, different than our domestic Hi-Fi equipment).

Oct 14, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #1,244 of 1,276
in dac out i don't hear any distortion at 72 or 99, but at the same voltage the pre out and dac out should sound the same ?
At the exact same voltage of 2V RMS (about 72 marking on DAC-out and around 55 marking on PRE-out) the background noise on PRE-out will be a bit higher. This is very easy to compare if you have sensitive 4-Ohms speakers and a very low-noise external amplifier (e.g.: Direct input). You will notice a slightly hiss when PRE-out is connected vs. the DAC-out.

However, the THD will be better on PRE-out, while THD+N will be slightly better on DAC-out relative to 2V RMS (due to the higher noise from PRE-out). The slight increase in noise from PRE-out is normal, due to a 5-6 times more amplification than DAC-out, so this is not a lowlight, it's actually a highlight. :)

Oct 20, 2020 at 11:32 PM Post #1,245 of 1,276
I have had a couple days to play with my V2+ with my LCD-2 pre fazor cans.Im finding the Dac section to be a little to cold and sterile,maybe I’m just not used to this much detail but it’s just not enjoyable to me.Using the amp section with my modi multibit gives me a better listen,smoother and more pleasant on the ears.I will go back and forth over the next week,hoping I can convince myself the v2+ Dac sounds better so I can go with my intended plan of having a simple all in one box,but at this stage it’s not looking that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back