New Burson Conductor - V2 and V2+
Jul 4, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #991 of 1,276
Unless there is something wrong with your electronics becoming nonlinear with volume control position, this can only be an opinion.
We, as humans, often make an observation in a particular situation and then incorrectly extrapolate it to all situations.
If you want your volume control lower, boost the input level. Just with different recording levels of various songs I have needed to change the volume knob position 30 to 50 degrees to maintain equal sound levels.
As long as I don't experience channel imbalance, or noise, I have not heard any audible differences in my sound regardless of where the volume knob is set. In fact in some situations I have chosen low gain (because I do believe that changing gain can influence SQ) and run the volume maxed out. As long as I am getting the level I want, all is good.

I never owned an SL, so I can't make any kind of comparison. I have used different DACs with the CV2+ and it does make a difference in the sound. Right now I am using the DAC out to drive a Gustard H20 (which might be considered a more powerful amp, depending on how the specs are presented and read) and liking the results. But I doubt that I would be able to identify which amp was being used in a volume matched blind test.
I also quite enjoy the CV2+ just using it alone. Of course, if you find the SL adequate and like it as much or better, it makes sense to get rid of the CV2+.

Jul 4, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #992 of 1,276
" If you want your volume control lower, boost the input level."

I can not increase or decrease the input level, I'm using an android phone with tidal hifi trough Usb Audio Pro app in bit perfect mode for the most accurate bit rate.
This gives you the original recording gain level without interfering with bit rate.

"something wrong with your electronics becoming nonlinear with volume control position"

On all my audio gear?

I have an Xduoo xd05 (500mWatt), Burson Play (2Watt/ chanell), 2xBurson Conductor( sabre and BurrBrown DAC both 2Watt/ chanell) and CV2+(8!!! Watt/chanell)
Out of all the gear mentioned above, the CV2+ is the only one that has a misaligned volume knob - THIS IS MY OPINION!!!!!!!

I knew before turning on any of my amplifier where to turn the volume to have a comfortable listening level. based on the impedance and sensitivity of my headphone.
The CV2+ was the first that surprised me with having to turn it further than I expected.
It might be because it hasn't a conventional resistive volume adjuster ( rezistive potentiometer). I DON'T KNOW?!?!

Anyway, I'm not blaming Burson or the CV2+, I only state my observation regarding the CV2+

Jul 4, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #993 of 1,276
your opinion is that the CV2+'s volume knob is "misaligned". @mandrake50 has provided an excellent explanation as to why your opinion is more likely to be mistaken than not.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #994 of 1,276
Amount of power available to how loud it gets are not directly related.

Grace m9xx has high powered and low powered modes, both are equally loud cause of same gain. You get better control over drivers in high power mode.

Sl vs cv2 should be hard to separate cause of similar tone. You do have totl cans. Maybe use a (much) more resoving dac that would help in differentiating two. Looks like dac sections in both sl and cv2 might be similar and bottleneck.

Jul 6, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #995 of 1,276
Sorry if I don't agree completley with your explanation, I am old school when it comes to music amplifiers ( almost 50 years old) and from my experience with any amplifier the sound is best if kept under 60% on the potentiometer. Maybe different with the CV2+ ????
I am probably one of those weird guys and some people would most likely not agree with me BUT THIS IS MY OWN OPINION AND EVERYONE CAN HAVE A DIFFERENT ONE:
The Conductor SL with The BurrBrown DAC sounds a bit better (fuller, organic and more musical) with my Headphones ( Beyer T1 1st gen and AKG K812), the Bass extends lower and is better defined.
All depends on the music and bit rate.
The CV2+ has a bit more details but the treble is a bit steely ( sabre glare??? ) but only if you listen to them in an A-B test, and i dare anyone to do a blind test. I could not actually guess which is one or the other if volume matched.
I bought the CV2+ thinking that the 600 ohm beyers need more power but the Conductor SL gives them more than they need and bass actualy sounds better on Conductor SL.
I will most likely sell the CV2+ and put the money towards a HD800 or other headphone.
THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION, please do not get offended by this, everyone is entitled to his own one.
I also own the Conductor SL with the sabre DAC and prety much it is the same like CV2+ with less(???) steroids ( would dare anyone to tell in an blind test)
Personally I preferred the sound signature of the older Burson gear with stepped attenuators. I've owned both. The Burson Soloist (non-SL) @ 4 watts was a beast. The stepped attenuator clicked and had static when turned so it was a bit hard to get used to. The sound was awesome though. Here is the model I'm talking about:

http://hifiheaven.net/shop/Burson-A...F2qejb2trbbL2-61QNjwBYCWgCQ1FadoaAu5tEALw_wcB

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 7:11 PM Post #996 of 1,276
I upgraded from the Soloist to CV2 and it was definitely more resolving with my Audezes.

Jul 6, 2018 at 9:17 PM Post #997 of 1,276
I upgraded from the Soloist to CV2 and it was definitely more resolving with my Audezes.
I also found my original Conductor too warm. Bass was kinda flabby. Soundstage bigger but more diffused. CV2 sounds tighter and cleaner from top to bottom. Soundstage has much better accuracy and layering. Technicality-wise, CV2 is above the original Conductor. And this is no small difference.

But it also comes down to taste and synergy. Not surprised if Jerick or others prefer the older models. For HD800 for example, I would definitely pick the original Conductor over CV2.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #998 of 1,276
I also found my original Conductor too warm. Bass was kinda flabby. Soundstage bigger but more diffused. CV2 sounds tighter and cleaner from top to bottom. Soundstage has much better accuracy and layering. Technicality-wise, CV2 is above the original Conductor. And this is no small difference.

But it also comes down to taste and synergy. Not surprised if Jerick or others prefer the older models. For HD800 for example, I would definitely pick the original Conductor over CV2.

This is true, but I would add that when I compared my soloist directly to my then CV2+, I found the CV+ to have less grain on the top end and just an overall more refined sound. Didn’t notice any bass differences though. The whole feel and looks of the CV2 wreak of quality and craftsmanship. No amp that I’ve heard to date can beat it for its leading edge attack. This makes for an engaging listen, making much of the competition sound boring in comparison. On the negative side, it can sound a bit dry at times, typical of many solid state designs. Overall, it’s an overachiever.

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:03 AM Post #1,003 of 1,276
Sorry if I don't agree completley with your explanation, I am old school when it comes to music amplifiers ( almost 50 years old) and from my experience with any amplifier the sound is best if kept under 60% on the potentiometer. Maybe different with the CV2+ ????

CV2+ has as excellent amp in my opinion. It sounds its best when set between 70 and 75% my ears suggest, not sure what other people think. I mostly leave it there and change db from within Windows. Moving the volume knob beyond that, it begins to get really tight and somewhat fatiguing, which is expected. At 50-55% it feels a bit loose and not equally refined, but also very calm with certain recordings. I really enjoy it. Like you said, questions arise with its DAC...

I am probably one of those weird guys and some people would most likely not agree with me BUT THIS IS MY OWN OPINION AND EVERYONE CAN HAVE A DIFFERENT ONE:

The Conductor SL with The BurrBrown DAC sounds a bit better (fuller, organic and more musical) with my Headphones ( Beyer T1 1st gen and AKG K812), the Bass extends lower and is better defined.

Last December I contacted Burson Audio and analysed my thoughts about CV2+...Their reaction was very promising and I'm pretty sure that CV3+ will serve (or at least provide the option) to serve different purpose than CV2+ which wasn't tuned (my opinion) for pure musical enjoyment.

The DAC requires quite a few "corrections": More sub-bass edge and authority, more intimate sound (a bit closer seat to the stage for a fuller experience), more powerful/airy/vibrant/cleaner vocals. Especially the vocals produced by V2+ are usually found in cheaper devices....Also, one very bad thing about V2+ (and other similarly tuned DACs) is the how a great deal of already laid-back recordings sound very pushed back, not clean and somehow congested.

You are defnintely not "weird" :beerchug:

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #1,004 of 1,276
CV2+ has as excellent amp in my opinion. It sounds its best when set between 70 and 75% my ears suggest, not sure what other people think. I mostly leave it there and change db from within Windows. Moving the volume knob beyond that, it begins to get really tight and somewhat fatiguing, which is expected. At 50-55% it feels a bit loose and not equally refined, but also very calm with certain recordings. I really enjoy it. Like you said, questions arise with its DAC...

Last December I contacted Burson Audio and analysed my thoughts about CV2+...Their reaction was very promising and I'm pretty sure that CV3+ will serve (or at least provide the option) to serve different purpose than CV2+ which wasn't tuned (my opinion) for pure musical enjoyment.

The DAC requires quite a few "corrections": More sub-bass edge and authority, more intimate sound (a bit closer seat to the stage for a fuller experience), more powerful/airy/vibrant/cleaner vocals. Especially the vocals produced by V2+ are usually found in cheaper devices....Also, one very bad thing about V2+ (and other similarly tuned DACs) is the how a great deal of already laid-back recordings sound very pushed back, not clean and somehow congested.

You are defnintely not "weird" :beerchug:

To me it seems extremely weird to use the volume of the source to keep the volume on the amplifier on a higher number, I'd suppose most people would do the opposite.

I personally also hope that Burson don't listen too much to your advice as I disagree with most of what you say. This is not ment as any offense but I think it's an excellent device the way it is and I definitely don't find it cheap sounding in any way.

I'd like to see them go back to the modular/switchable dac to keep more people happy though...

Jul 13, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #1,005 of 1,276
Thank you eternalchampion for being weird like me.:beerchug::ksc75smile:
What kind of headphones are you using with volume at 70%. My Beyers T1 (600 ohm) are easy to drive at 50-60% and anything over is a bit too loud.
The whole "audiophile" thing is about being weird. Everyone has a different taste in music, FR, BASS or treble preference, otherwise we would all buy the same type of headphone and we would be content with it.
I remember back in the days when an Audiotechnica AD700 was my best headphone and reading about 500-1000$ headphones I was thinking people would be snobbish to spend that kind of money. In my audio journey I found out that once you established your preference in sound, any jump in price above 600$ will give you in the best scenario a 5-10% better " perceived quality ". Over 1500$ most likely less.
But, once you got that 10% increase, it is really hard to go back, That is why people sell their gear and move forward rarely looking back to the previously owned ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back