New, Burson Conductor 3 Reference: Dual 9038 DAC, 7.5Wpc Head Amp, Preamp, Changeable Opamps
Jul 3, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #466 of 744
Hello DjBobby!

Thank you the detailed answer, of course it helps a lot! I already talked with Alex, and my Conductor 3REF is already on the way towards me (Hungary).

So basically it's like a SWING/Fun with much more power, and muscle, right?

The Dual ESS9038 DAC chip improves the overall sound quality, or this serves other purposes, like for streaming or dual music listening in two totally different headphones? For your listening sessions, you used FooBar, right? I do have some .mkv files, and .aac as well, but actually I am not sure if I am better with the simple VLC or with the FooBar..

I am sure, I am not gonna change back to the "old" SWING/Fun combo!:)
Congratulations Kebcy, I hope you will enjoy the Conductor 3REF!

Yes, it could be said like that that the Conductor 3 is the Swing/Fun on steroids.
Using dual ESS9038 chip improves the overall sound quality, nothing to do with the dual music streaming. Using only one digital chip in stereo mode gives you the SNR of -129db. When using dual chips, each one is configured to work in the mono mode, improving the SNR to impressive -140db. It is also better for the crosstalk, as each chip takes care about only one separate channel.
You can of course use two different headphones plugged in at the same time, but listening to the same music. It is very handy if you want to compare the headphones, without loosing time for unplugging and plugging in.

I am on macOS, using the Audirvana, so no idea about the Foobar. Probably other HeadFiers can give you more information about best software for the Windows machines.

Wishing you that your Conductor arrives as soon as possible, I remember how impatient I was, awaiting for the package to arrive :).

Jul 3, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #467 of 744
I get my Burson 3XP on next Monday and will use it on my 2nd workstation with a MacBook Pro 16.

So here's a question, do you use the standard USB cable or did you buy a better one? Via USB-C?

I read somewhere that the standard one is no good and you should get a better one. I'm not a believer in cables at all, but I think an average one should be enough.

I'm really looking forward to it and I'm curious how it sounds. Since it is my 2nd workstation, I didn't want to use the Reverences, so the smaller one should be enough. Important was with XLR connection. I don't need it as a DAC converter to another amplifier, really only solo. The Ref. was also clearly too big for me, because it needs half the desk. I am extremely curious how it sounds like! I hope really good. Will replace my iFi micro iDSD BL!

Jul 3, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #468 of 744
I get my Burson 3XP on next Monday and will use it on my 2nd workstation with a MacBook Pro 16.

So here's a question, do you use the standard USB cable or did you buy a better one? Via USB-C?

I read somewhere that the standard one is no good and you should get a better one. I'm not a believer in cables at all, but I think an average one should be enough.

I'm really looking forward to it and I'm curious how it sounds. Since it is my 2nd workstation, I didn't want to use the Reverences, so the smaller one should be enough. Important was with XLR connection. I don't need it as a DAC converter to another amplifier, really only solo. The Ref. was also clearly too big for me, because it needs half the desk. I am extremely curious how it sounds like! I hope really good. Will replace my iFi micro iDSD BL!

The original USB cable did not work for me so I bought another one. If you look back at the earlier messages on here there are a lot of reports of the original cable not working

Jul 3, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #469 of 744

I am using the standard usb-c to usb-a cable which came included. No need IMO to go for more expensive cables, as it already sounds great. I am also using a powered USB hub between the C3 and the MacBook Pro. Maybe that's why I never experienced any problems with the cable.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #470 of 744
Thank you very much for the answer. Yes will also go through a hub. Give it a try, or I'll have to get another one.

Jul 3, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #471 of 744
I am sure, I am not gonna change back to the "old" SWING/Fun combo!:)

No way. Btw, default 3 Ref with 4 Vivid is a big jump ahead of its predecessor V2+ sound-wise. It makes the promised next step in overall quality (clarity, tempo) but also improves the contact with the music (a really nice mixture of Sabre and BurrBrown). The definition of an upgrade.

A while ago I contacted the guys at BA and told them that I find the 2x Vivid Dual + 2x Classic Single combo to be the best with the least compromises and coincidentally they replied saying that they are using the exact same combo as their test setup!

Jul 3, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #472 of 744
I read somewhere that the standard one is no good and you should get a better one. I'm not a believer in cables at all, but I think an average one should be enough

I am kinda interested in this as well. Actually how can the USB cable affect the overall sound quality? This is not a placebo effect? As I know the data is a bunch of 0-1 and there is no way to improve the data "quality" with the better cable quality.

Your device coming from Hong-Kong as well, with Express Delivery?

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 11:44 PM Post #473 of 744
It's just the stock usb cable doesn't work, not it sounds bad. There is no sound different between usb cables.

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:30 AM Post #474 of 744
[QUOTE = "kebcy, post: 15717456, member: 493313"]
Das interessiert mich auch irgendwie. Wie kann das USB-Kabel die Klangqualität insgesamt beeinflussen? Dies ist kein Placebo-Effekt? Wie ich weiß, sind die Daten ein Haufen von 0-1 und es gibt keine Möglichkeit, die "Datenqualität" der Daten mit der besseren Kabelqualität zu verbessern.

Ihr Gerät kommt auch aus Hongkong mit Expressversand?
[/ZITAT]

Yes is interesting, abandoned in Hong Kong by Express Delivery, currently in Leipzig and should be here in Switzerland on Monday. I wonder if that will work!

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #475 of 744
It's just the stock usb cable doesn't work, not it sounds bad. There is no sound different between usb cables.

What you mean the stock usb cable does not work? Tho I started to look around on the Hungarian market, but I don't find anything good which would replace the stock.. I found one for 430$ but I do not think, this would gave me a better listening experience.

[QUOTE = "kebcy, post: 15717456, member: 493313"]
Das interessiert mich auch irgendwie. Wie kann das USB-Kabel die Klangqualität insgesamt beeinflussen? Dies ist kein Placebo-Effekt? Wie ich weiß, sind die Daten ein Haufen von 0-1 und es gibt keine Möglichkeit, die "Datenqualität" der Daten mit der besseren Kabelqualität zu verbessern.

Ihr Gerät kommt auch aus Hongkong mit Expressversand?
[/ZITAT]

Yes is interesting, abandoned in Hong Kong by Express Delivery, currently in Leipzig and should be here in Switzerland on Monday. I wonder if that will work!

Mine is in Hong Kong as well, tho the estimated Delivery says i can have it by Tuesday end of the day.. luckily I asked them to bring the package to the University where I work.. so Tuesday will be a long day for me haha!:)

Jul 6, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #477 of 744
Will the Burson C3R work properly with 2xSparkos SS3602 dual + 2x Vivid Dual (stock)?
Where are the op-amps for the DAC section located?
Yes, as long as they are dual op-amps you should be okay running a mixture of parts.

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #478 of 744
If (for some unknown reason) my Conductor 3REF would overheat and simply the music would stop (under Windows) cause of the too much heat, I can "safely" turn it off and back on again, like with my Swing/Fun combo?

I don't know why but this happens with me a lot in the Summer, that I have to turn off my Swing for a moment or two, then turn it back on again, to have "sound" again.
Anyone experienced this kind of behaviour with his Burson device? I don't know if it's a faulty or no.. I never had this problem with my Play.

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #479 of 744
If (for some unknown reason) my Conductor 3REF would overheat and simply the music would stop (under Windows) cause of the too much heat, I can "safely" turn it off and back on again, like with my Swing/Fun combo?

I don't know why but this happens with me a lot in the Summer, that I have to turn off my Swing for a moment or two, then turn it back on again, to have "sound" again.
Anyone experienced this kind of behaviour with his Burson device? I don't know if it's a faulty or no.. I never had this problem with my Play.
Never happened on my C3X

Jul 6, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #480 of 744

Never happened to mine C3. Running for 5-6 hours without switching off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back