New, Burson Conductor 3 Reference: Dual 9038 DAC, 7.5Wpc Head Amp, Preamp, Changeable Opamps
Jul 21, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #496 of 744
I am still very sceptical that the Sparkos are obejctively better and not just a different (subtly brighter) flavor...

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:46 AM Post #497 of 744
Well head-fiers I am joining the Elite.Just emailed my dealer about returning the Conductor 3Performance & upgrading to the C3Reference!I was looking at the keeping the Performance & getting Meze Empies but I have ALWAYS wanted to try Sennheiser HD800S & they are half the price of the Meze so I'll go with a new pair of HD800S & upgrade the amp/dac to the Conductor 3 Reference.A WIN WIN I DO BELIEVE!!!

Aug 6, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #498 of 744
Well head-fiers I am joining the Elite.Just emailed my dealer about returning the Conductor 3Performance & upgrading to the C3Reference!I

And for the cherry on the cake switch the two single Vivid out for two Classic for more coherent and addictive sound:beerchug:

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #500 of 744
Sounds interesting. Could you elaborate more about your experience switching for the Classics?

Switching between 4x Vivid and 4x Classic it becomes so obvious why the Vivid is the superior op-amp and why Burson decided to put those instead of the Classic inside the C3 Ref. They went full Vivid for the extra clarity, extension and attack despite the compromises introduced from the Classic absence. The best combo with the minimum compromises I could get was the 2x Vivid dual + 2x Classic single. This combo is so great as it takes almost nothing away from the Vivid qualities yet the experience improves.

Most people playing around with the op-amps on the C3 Ref will agree with me I think.

The Classic will give you a bit closer look into the music (just a tiny bit) and also thicker, more pleasant and intimate vocals, will also calm down a bit the occasional excessively powerful drum strikes however by going the full Classic configuration on the Conductor will certainly kill sub-bass extension, take a big chunk away from soundstage clarity, accuracy and also from the attack at higher frequencies. I did not like it at all...

The op-amp combo that I mentioned above creates a very balanced, unified audio presentation with very little to ask for.

Sep 1, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #501 of 744
Did anyone notice slight hiss from their Headphones like HD650/BEYERDYNAMIC T1 from Conductor 3 Ref Headphones out while no inputs/nothing is playing?

I can hear slight hiss on my C3 Ref even on low gain mode when using HD650(300ohm) headphones.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #502 of 744
Did anyone notice slight hiss from their Headphones like HD650/BEYERDYNAMIC T1 from Conductor 3 Ref Headphones out while no inputs/nothing is playing?

I can hear slight hiss on my C3 Ref even on low gain mode when using HD650(300ohm) headphones.
Yes, the hiss was previously discussed and mentioned, but mostly in connection with low impedance/high sensitivity headphones.

Sep 1, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #504 of 744
I also liked the mixed combination very much, the diameter is slightly closer, a nice option :)

In order to enhance the effect of this combo even more, MP_SLOW does exactly that intensifying that direct, 3D contact with the music so to speak, in case you haven't tried the filter yet. :)

I like how the digital filters behave almost like op-amp variations available to choose from. The complete package moving from V2+....that's how you submit your homework!

Sep 2, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #505 of 744
Yes, the hiss was previously discussed and mentioned, but mostly in connection with low impedance/high sensitivity headphones.

The HD650 is a high impedance headphones, I found the PLAYMate is pitch Black when nothing is playing, i can feel the hiss when I'm in really quite room but sometimes It feels pitch black.

It's not really bothering me but I wish it was totally silent when C3 is powered on and no inputs given.

What's the best high impedance to use for C3 for Classical music?

Sep 2, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #506 of 744
That is highly depending on personal teste. While the HD650 or Sennheiser in general make top pairing with the C3, for classical might be too laid back and dark.
Although not strictly high impedance, the AKG K701/702 are only like 60ohm headphones, but are notoriously difficult to drive. They are far more transparent for Classical and have bigger "symphonic" soundstage, when paired with the C3.

Sep 2, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #507 of 744

You don't need a HIGH impedance headphone; you just need one that isn't an ultra-sensitive in-ear monitor that will have an audible hiss when there is no music playing. So a headphone that isn't ultra sensitive will work fine. I don't have a conductor, but I enjoy the quality of sound in classical music with Sennheiser HD-600 (which are high impedance--300 ohms) and Focal Clears (55 ohms and easy to drive). I also have a set of AKG K702 headphones, which I find aren't that difficult to drive but do require an amp--I find that they lack the rich sound I want in classical music, although they do offer a more open soundstage than either of the headphones I've already mentioned.

Sep 3, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #508 of 744
I found the noise floor of C3 is less noticeable with ATH-R70X(470ohm) and I love it more than HD650 for everything except for Classical music, but still I find the HD650 too dark sounding for classical so I decided to buy HD800s soon(even though I am poor).

Sep 12, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #509 of 744
Hello,
I'd like to chime in with some quick initial impressions. Just received my Conductor 3 about 5 days ago.
Setup: Sennheiser HD 650's (stock), sourced by a Windows 10 desktop PC running Foobar with FLAC rip files

* Pros:
As a previous owner of the original HA-160D, as well as a CV2+, I can honestly say the C3R is a significant improvement over both.
I wasn't expecting to be that impressed, in fact I was just hoping it would be incrementally better than the somewhat thin sounding CV2+.
Well, I was wrong. The C3R blows the doors off its predecessors. It has a tremendous sense of clarity that's backed by what I can only describe as limitless power.
It's like the HA-160D, only exponentially better. In terms of clarity, it really shines when listening to a Mobile Fidelity CD rip - fresh details emerge all over the place, but it also sounds coherent and natural at the same time. In terms of power, the power is crazy. Recordings with a wide dynamic range can literally take your head off. You can go from a quiet passage to startlingly loud instantly - like a lightening strike. It takes some getting used to. Bottom end is solid with plenty of slam. To sum it up, the C3R is an impressive piece of gear.

* Cons
For some strange reason Burson decided to cut corners with the volume control. Yes, it has a fancy OLED screen with a PGA2310 digital processor.
And, yes, it has a fancy CNC precision knurled knob. Unfortunately, the one part that really matters - the rotary encoder behind the knob, is a piece of junk.
I've found that when advancing the knob click by click, it will sometimes stutter - and even go backwards (20, 21, 22, 23, 23, 22, 24, 25...).
The knob itself probably costs 20 dollars, while the encoder, with its wobbly plastic shaft, probably costs 29 cents.
Because of this, I've resorted to using the mini remote to control the volume.

Quick sidebar - there is no noise floor at all, at least on my unit. I can pause play and turn the volume up to 99 - and it's dead quiet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back