New, Burson Conductor 3 Reference: Dual 9038 DAC, 7.5Wpc Head Amp, Preamp, Changeable Opamps
Aug 17, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #19 of 744
I was looking into TEAC UD-505 and now THIS.

However, lacking a Master Clock Generator (10MHz) input on Burson is somewhat disappoint (at least to me) specially at this price.

UD-505 sells for $1600, and the NeTwork version (NT-505) for $1800.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 5:34 AM Post #20 of 744
However, lacking a Master Clock Generator (10MHz) input on Burson is somewhat disappoint (at least to me) specially at this price.
Probably. But how many people has a master clock generator?with new sabre and internal clock i think it is not necessary

Aug 17, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #21 of 744
Conductor V2+ looks much prettier to me especially the silver version. But this doesn't put me off either. Something has to be really ugly for my taste to force me ignore the main show, its audio performance.

Now what's under the hood is very surprising. I wonder how many dacs out there actually utilize two sabre chips...! I had the impression that this is a bad choice because of technical reasons. What a treat. :yum:

Stepping up the game without...delays!

Aug 18, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #22 of 744
Is bigger or smaller than cv2?
it's marginally smaller and significantly lighter in weight:
cv3 - 255mm x 270mm x 70mm weight - app. 5kg
cv2+ - 265mm x 255mm x 80mm weight - app. 7kg

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 3:48 AM Post #23 of 744
i saw the usb in the rear i presume is type c. my phone is type c too. exists some cable c to c otg?

Aug 18, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #24 of 744
I was looking into TEAC UD-505 and now THIS.

UD-505 sells for $1600, and the NeTwork version (NT-505) for $1800.

We're comparing a 0.5W/32Ohms with 5W/32Ohms combos here.

Looking further for Darku's review and the compare with CV2+.

Aug 18, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #25 of 744
We're comparing a 0.5W/32Ohms with 5W/32Ohms combos here.

Looking further for Darku's review and the compare with CV2+.
in my opinion, despite better double dac chip, the most important is the 5 mcps section

Aug 18, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #26 of 744
Yes. MCPS really interests me too.

Aug 18, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #27 of 744
MCPS is something patented by BURSON and, most likely, they're the first audio company that implemented boost-regulators on a "large scale" inside their Hi-Fi equipment. It's all about increasing power efficiency, shrinking the size and lowering the internal temperature, while audio quality gets better too; now that's indeed a progress.

BTW, have you guys seen the internal pics with capacity banks inside C3? I guess these are part of many low-pass and/or Pi filters from regulators output, to decrease the ripple and noise. Quite an impressive look and design, given the fact that more smaller caps means lower impedance for power supplies, instead of using 2...4 big caps.

I am in vacation to sea-side right now, my CV2+ is just too bulky to carry it on with me, so I got the Playmate instead, but maybe if I would have a C3 at home I might taking it with me in vacation, who knows. You can't argue with a fool man for sure. :)

Being double-DAC is definitely an improvement in THD, SNR, channel separation (soundstage) and the final SINAD as well, but the 8 x TO220 powerful transistors inside are those that provide the output sound to the headphones; this is like the monitor for a computer, and audiophiles are like...Photoshopers: they need the best colorimetry possible. :)

Given the published specs (5W/32Ohms), C3 can drive planars with ease, so the internal amplifier is what I always liked about any Conductor. I also see it's about 10% more powerful than CV2 and the output impedance decreased from 3Ohms to 0.5Ohms, so in my opinion the output power increase and internal impedance decrease is a real improvement over the audio part on C3.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 4:54 AM Post #28 of 744
MCPS is something patented by BURSON and, most likely, they're the first audio company that implemented boost-regulators on a "large scale" inside their Hi-Fi equipment. It's all about increasing power efficiency, shrinking the size and lowering the internal temperature, while audio quality gets better too; now that's indeed a progress.
and another advantage is that you are completely independent from any variation of electricity network

Aug 19, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #29 of 744
You are totally right @alota, the external power brick is a low noise SMPS that works perfectly across 100-250V (or so). Also, internal MCPS regulators care not about any DC-voltage or pulsatory-current that may appear on the mains (from LED lighting, poorly designed SMPSs, magnetron from microwave, vacuum cleaners or washing machines, photovoltaic panels, power generators, any kind of invertors etc).

Basically, MCPS design filters everything unwanted from mains and create its own power supplies internally. I would say that expensive power filters or "regenerators" might not be needed for C3. Of course, surge protectors or AVRs or UPSs might help when mains voltage gets completely out of limits (e.g.: when lightning occurs).

Aug 19, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #30 of 744
Anyone preordered?

2x 6.3mm headphone jacks on the left side?

This must be the most expensive DAC/AMP with dual ES9038Q2M...I wonder how big an audio upgrade is compared to the Burson Playmate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back