New, Burson Conductor 3 Reference: Dual 9038 DAC, 7.5Wpc Head Amp, Preamp, Changeable Opamps
Sep 13, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #511 of 744
For some strange reason Burson decided to cut corners with the volume control. Yes, it has a fancy OLED screen with a PGA2310 digital processor.
And, yes, it has a fancy CNC precision knurled knob. Unfortunately, the one part that really matters - the rotary encoder behind the knob, is a piece of junk.
I've found that when advancing the knob click by click, it will sometimes stutter - and even go backwards (20, 21, 22, 23, 23, 22, 24, 25...).
The knob itself probably costs 20 dollars, while the encoder, with its wobbly plastic shaft, probably costs 29 cents.
Because of this, I've resorted to using the mini remote to control the volume.
Quick sidebar - there is no noise floor at all, at least on my unit. I can pause play and turn the volume up to 99 - and it's dead quiet.
Just checked, I couldn't reproduce any problem with the volume control on my unit, everything is smooth and linear. However, I could hear the background noise with highly sensitive iems, which is completely independent of the volume setting.

I was considering this equipment, but the various reports of problems with the volume control and the USB connection caused me to change my mind.
Using the included usb cable, connected to a powered usb hub leading to a MacBook pro, never ever had any usb connection issue.

Sep 13, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #512 of 744
I was considering this equipment, but the various reports of problems with the volume control and the USB connection caused me to change my mind.

The provided white USB cable is 100% responsible for the issue. They now have a new supplier.

Are you really going to reject C3R just because the volume knob jumps a notch at sometimes while being turned? That's some serious nit-picking my friend :beyersmile:

Sep 13, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #513 of 744
Hello,
I'd like to chime in with some quick initial impressions. Just received my Conductor 3 about 5 days ago.
Setup: Sennheiser HD 650's (stock), sourced by a Windows 10 desktop PC running Foobar with FLAC rip files

* Pros:
As a previous owner of the original HA-160D, as well as a CV2+, I can honestly say the C3R is a significant improvement over both.
I wasn't expecting to be that impressed, in fact I was just hoping it would be incrementally better than the somewhat thin sounding CV2+.
Well, I was wrong. The C3R blows the doors off its predecessors. It has a tremendous sense of clarity that's backed by what I can only describe as limitless power.
It's like the HA-160D, only exponentially better. In terms of clarity, it really shines when listening to a Mobile Fidelity CD rip - fresh details emerge all over the place, but it also sounds coherent and natural at the same time. In terms of power, the power is crazy. Recordings with a wide dynamic range can literally take your head off. You can go from a quiet passage to startlingly loud instantly - like a lightening strike. It takes some getting used to. Bottom end is solid with plenty of slam. To sum it up, the C3R is an impressive piece of gear.

* Cons
For some strange reason Burson decided to cut corners with the volume control. Yes, it has a fancy OLED screen with a PGA2310 digital processor.
And, yes, it has a fancy CNC precision knurled knob. Unfortunately, the one part that really matters - the rotary encoder behind the knob, is a piece of junk.
I've found that when advancing the knob click by click, it will sometimes stutter - and even go backwards (20, 21, 22, 23, 23, 22, 24, 25...).
The knob itself probably costs 20 dollars, while the encoder, with its wobbly plastic shaft, probably costs 29 cents.
Because of this, I've resorted to using the mini remote to control the volume.

Quick sidebar - there is no noise floor at all, at least on my unit. I can pause play and turn the volume up to 99 - and it's dead quiet.
Which HD650 you have 2019(made in Romania) or older?

Sep 13, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #514 of 744
Which HD650 you have 2019(made in Romania) or older?
My 650's were manufactured in 2016, made in Ireland. I'm pretty loyal to these.
I've owned Grado RS-1's, Audeze LCD-2's, and a few others, but nothing compares to the 650's with a good amp.

Sep 13, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #515 of 744
Just checked, I couldn't reproduce any problem with the volume control on my unit, everything is smooth and linear. However, I could hear the background noise with highly sensitive iems, which is completely independent of the volume setting.

Using the included usb cable, connected to a powered usb hub leading to a MacBook pro, never ever had any usb connection issue.
Sounds like you have a good unit. Don't get me wrong, I still think the C3R is terrific - overall, I'm very impressed with it.
From what I can tell, the encoder is a fairly common garden variety component. I may eventually wind up replacing it with a higher quality version like an ALPS.
But for now I'm not going to worry about it. It's like moving up to a new Mercedes, only a Mercedes with an occasional annoying rattle. I can live with that.

Sep 16, 2020 at 6:14 AM Post #517 of 744
My C3R has been relegated to DAC duties with an LDR pre-amp and a Pass amp providing power for my 1266TCs with excellent results. I've also reported before that I've not had good results using usb regenerators and conditioners connecting my PC to the C3R. Now that I've simplified the connection to using just one adapter to connect to the USB C input of the C3R (really hate this choice of usb input connection), and with a good silver USB cable with separate power and signal lines), my experience so far has been that these regenerators do contribute to quieter background, more focused imaging, refined highs and lows plus just more realistic sense of space with the additional detail coming through (yup all that). While it could be that the effect is magnified by the better amplification I have on tap, the improvement is noticeable across all the usb add-ons I've used - Uptone USB and Iso regen, iFi usb iPurifier 2 and 3. Best result has been with the iPurifier3 with Lavricable's silver USB cable.
20200913_195929.jpg20200916_175940.jpg

Sep 20, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #518 of 744
Hello dear Head-Fiers!
My question would be the following.

Anybody tried to make a custom power supply for the Conductor 3REF? Can I get any kind of advantages if I build or buy a custom (better) power supply what the Burson Provides for their units?

Any thoughts about this?
I am asking this cause I am buying a Isotek Multiway 6 switch which have some good reps in here Hungary about how this item can "make more room" for the amps/preamps simply just "filtering" the incoming electricity from the wall.. and in this thought I was like, what about the custom power supply as well? It can make the amp sound better, or no?

Maybe @Alex?

Regards,
Krisztián

Sep 21, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #520 of 744
Hi.
What problems with the USB connection have people found?
Thanks.

it’s the usb cable that is provided is where the problem was for me. It just did not work. Other than that no problems for me

Sep 21, 2020 at 4:32 AM Post #521 of 744
it’s the usb cable that is provided is where the problem was for me. It just did not work. Other than that no problems for me
Ok, thanks.
I had read about the usb cable, but I was afraid there might be more problems.
I've had a Burson Conductor SL 1793 and a Soloist SL MKII. I loved both, but sometimes I felt that the Conductor was too sensitive to noise from the USB port.
I've preordered the combo Composer + Soloist 3XP, and the last think I want is a noisy USB.
Can I ask you, @Womaz, what the Conductor 3 replaced and if it was a big improvement?
Thanks.

Sep 21, 2020 at 6:46 AM Post #522 of 744
Ok, thanks.
I had read about the usb cable, but I was afraid there might be more problems.
I've had a Burson Conductor SL 1793 and a Soloist SL MKII. I loved both, but sometimes I felt that the Conductor was too sensitive to noise from the USB port.
I've preordered the combo Composer + Soloist 3XP, and the last think I want is a noisy USB.
Can I ask you, @Womaz, what the Conductor 3 replaced and if it was a big improvement?
Thanks.

It replaced the Auralic Taurus which I had for over 4 years. Yes for me there was a big improvement. I was told it could take a little while for the unit to burn in, bit straight out of the box it sounded better.

Oct 20, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #525 of 744
Hi,

I’m playing for more then 6 months with a Burson Conductor 3R and a LCD-XC and I‘m very pleased with the sound.
My BC3R, was also delivered with a faulty usb C cable, I replaced this with a Audioquest Carbon A-C usb Cable into my Roon Nucleus.

The woble in the knob is absolutely not in par with the sound and build quality, but Burson replied that this is due to the selection function when press this volume knob.
It would be better to have a separate selection button and a fixed volume Alps Knob. I love to pay extra for this.
But the sound matters and this is very, very good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back