New, Burson Conductor 3 Reference: Dual 9038 DAC, 7.5Wpc Head Amp, Preamp, Changeable Opamps
Apr 7, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #421 of 744
I gave up on C3 because it doesn't work well with my Verite headphones. Too much background noise. I am not going to buy Susvara just because of C3.
Really, I don't have an issue with my Auteur's and C3X. They're both 300 ohms headphones and the background should be minimal or nonexistant. What are you driving your Verite now?

Apr 8, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #422 of 744
I have been looking at the Burson website and there appears to be 4 models. I understand that one is balanced and one is not, so the 3X and the 3R. What are the 3XP and 3RP models as I cant seem to fathom this out.
I am considering upgrading my Taurus Mk2 to use with my HEKs and HD800S.
The Burson is on my radar as well as the Benchmark HP4, Violectric V280, iFi PRO IDSD and maybe the GSX.

Apr 8, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #423 of 744
I have been looking at the Burson website and there appears to be 4 models. I understand that one is balanced and one is not, so the 3X and the 3R. What are the 3XP and 3RP models as I cant seem to fathom this out.
I am considering upgrading my Taurus Mk2 to use with my HEKs and HD800S.
The Burson is on my radar as well as the Benchmark HP4, Violectric V280, iFi PRO IDSD and maybe the GSX.

The cheaper "Performance" models have one DAC chip instead of two, and it appears they put out less power. I think there are a few other differences.

Apr 8, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #425 of 744
I have got ECP T4 tube amplifier. It has the same engaging and musical sound as the C3. There is absolutely no hiss.
Thanks, Zach’s creations fair very well with tubes. Even the portable Woo Audio WA8, which I listened to the Vérité’s on, drove them awesomely.

I want to get a good tube amp to go along side my C3X. I want it to be powerful enough to drive all my cans as well. So I‘m still searching.

Apr 8, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #426 of 744
T4-and-VC-1.jpg

Apr 8, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #427 of 744
Apr 10, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #430 of 744
Have a Conductor 3r on the way. Will use mostly as dac and preamp into speaker based system. Was hoping to connect my main music source a Lumin U1 mini (playing tidal and roon) to the Conductor. Not sure about the little USB connector so might have to settle for spdif connection. Guess I need to figure this out - Alex tells me it comes with a usb cable although have nice regular sized Curious USB cable that has been excellent for audio (are there adaptors).

my headphones are Fostex Purplehearts. Thinking of trying something new with the Conductor - any recommendations for good fit - variety of music, budget not much more than 1K.

Apr 13, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #431 of 744
Hi guys I am following both threads on the conductor series , I know one of them is balanced and one is single ended, but I have looked at the website and specs etc and I am wondering why there is a £400 price difference and is it worth this cost to go with the balanced unit.

Any guidance would be great

Apr 13, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #432 of 744
Hi guys I am following both threads on the conductor series , I know one of them is balanced and one is single ended, but I have looked at the website and specs etc and I am wondering why there is a £400 price difference and is it worth this cost to go with the balanced unit.

Any guidance would be great
The 3XR is a truly balanced design and has balanced topology from front to back, hence the price difference. For me, my preference is for having a balanced output. That’s the way I like listening to my headphones.

Apr 21, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #433 of 744
My new 3R arrived today. Took some fussing to figure out how to change the source, but once I did beautiful music right away. Also came with no power cord for the separate power supply - grabbed one from my FUN amp and probably the same. The sound is very nice, clean and pure right out of the box. I also used the provided usb cable and works fine with Lumin U1 mini - haven't played much but seems to play up-sampled music just fine. Will try headphones tonight - thinking this will be real strength but very nice as preamp and dac so far.

Both usb cable and outboard power supply seem pretty basic. Has anyone upgraded either? Thinking something like an Uptone LPS. Not sure if I can find a nice usb cable with the configuration but will check around. Also check out op amps later - have some of the Sparkos in my Fun amp.

Apr 21, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #434 of 744
My new 3R arrived today. Took some fussing to figure out how to change the source, but once I did beautiful music right away. Also came with no power cord for the separate power supply - grabbed one from my FUN amp and probably the same. The sound is very nice, clean and pure right out of the box. I also used the provided usb cable and works fine with Lumin U1 mini - haven't played much but seems to play up-sampled music just fine. Will try headphones tonight - thinking this will be real strength but very nice as preamp and dac so far.

Both usb cable and outboard power supply seem pretty basic. Has anyone upgraded either? Thinking something like an Uptone LPS. Not sure if I can find a nice usb cable with the configuration but will check around. Also check out op amps later - have some of the Sparkos in my Fun amp.
I agree that the wall wart that comes with the 3X/3XR is pretty basic. I’m not sure what benefits you’ll get by switching it out. Burson uses their own MCPS power supplies, which are internal to the unit. But it’s worth trying if you have the Uptone LPS. Glad to read that you had luck with the USB cable. You are one of the few that has gotten it to work.

I recently upgraded the op-amps in my 3XR to the Sparkos SS3602’s and the improvements to the sound is outstanding. I’m using the SS3601’s in my Fun as well. If you want to change out all of them in the 3R you’re going to need two SS3602’s and two SS3601’s. The sonic upgrade with the Sparkos op-amps is so worth to me.

Apr 21, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #435 of 744
I agree that the wall wart that comes with the 3X/3XR is pretty basic. I’m not sure what benefits you’ll get by switching it out. Burson uses their own MCPS power supplies, which are internal to the unit. But it’s worth trying if you have the Uptone LPS. Glad to read that you had luck with the USB cable. You are one of the few that has gotten it to work.

I recently upgraded the op-amps in my 3XR to the Sparkos SS3602’s and the improvements to the sound is outstanding. I’m using the SS3601’s in my Fun as well. If you want to change out all of them in the 3R you’re going to need two SS3602’s and two SS3601’s. The sonic upgrade with the Sparkos op-amps is so worth to me.
Sorry, for 3X is two SS3602's and two SS3601's or four SS3602's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back