New: Burson Audio Play Amp/DAC (2W@16Ohm) (op-amp rollers dream)
Apr 10, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #466 of 1,256
My device is coming next week. I was asked(by a few R6 Siege pro players)to do a review for e-sport community so I'll translate it into English and post it here also. I hope I'll be as excited as you about this device.
already done check my gameplay thumps up if you like the video more coming on the way hear the sound separation in the game.This session made with my friends in our native language TAMIL

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #469 of 1,256
Ok, got mine.
Did a short inspection and there are some other things I can see.

First the accessories:
- Newer remote - smaller and with anodized finish similar with the Play covers ( better looking, still prone to scratches). No more magnets - just a screw on the middle
- Changed USB cable - a lot better than the one I got on my old Play.

Unfortunately they keep the 6.3mm Jack adapter - It was loose on my old Play, it's loose on the new one too. Each headphone movement it loose contacts. Had to use mine again.

About the Play itself, it's impossible to make a fair comparation as my old Play had issues.
Anyway - there is no hum or noise at all. Inaudible. Also it seems that the volume is lower than on my old Play. Not by much but for same audio level on Pre-Out I used to set it at 30-35. Now I have same level at 45-50. Also on headphones - I grow from 02 to 03 ( without EarBuddy )

Now I put it to burn a little as I intend in a week or two to make also some OP-AMP swap and see what configuration sounds is better for me.

Apr 12, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #471 of 1,256
Ok, got mine.
[...]
- Newer remote - smaller and with anodized finish similar with the Play covers ( better looking, still prone to scratches). No more magnets - just a screw on the middle
[...]
Anyway - there is no hum or noise at all. Inaudible. [...]

Pic with the new remote, please?
Also, what headphones have been using to test the background noise?
Thanks a lot!

Apr 12, 2018 at 2:22 AM Post #472 of 1,256
I'm a bit catched for few days, but I will try to make a pic this evening if I can - however it should be compared with the older one, otherwise you will not notice changes. I don't have anymore the old one but the AIR remote was similar with old Play so I will try to put them together.

For now I've tested with Sony MDR-100A ( 24 ohms, 104dB ). As i said, I'm a bit busy, but hope to do more tests in the weekend.

L.E. Added the photos:
1.jpg 2.jpg
In the left side is the AIR one - similar with old Play remote.
Right side - the new remote.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #473 of 1,256
Guys good news burnt the unit for 5hrs now temps are pretty low when compared to old units
Well... in my case it seems to be the opposite.
Had some time this weekend and i let the unit play for hours and hours... - It's already burned for about 20h.
After 4-5h of playing the cover it's ok, I can estimate some 50-60 degrees max. But the bottom of the unit is damn hot - can touch it but only for less than a second. I didn't used the small silicone pads provided by Burson, but some rubber feets from a switch - they have about 5mm - so a bit of extra space. Should be a bit better cooled. In the end I put the unit on the side - now is ok - same temperature on both sides.
The only thing I 'm worried is that from what I saw, the small electrolitic caps they put on teh new revision are rated to only 85 degrees C, not 105 C like the big ones.

About the sound, for the moment I let all V6 Vivids except for the LPF where I put a V6 Classic ( based on the right diagram ). My ideea was to compensate a bit the lack of mids on the Vivid. But it seems it doesn't work as intended, the mids - especially the low mids are quite recessed, the one V6 Classic can only add a bit of smoothness to the sound. Overal the sound is unreal especially if playing some ambiental or celtic music. Air, soundstage and holography in one place. Unfortunatelly voices are a bit thin - I was unable to recognize Madonna's voice. Also the treble is a bit too much - still hear cimbals and triangles in my ears few hours after closing the Play.

So, one of these days I will move to two V6 Classic in I/V and all the rest Vivid. The old unit was set like that and the sound was quite pleasant with good voices but not so good bass and details.
Will see how it plays in the new unit.

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #474 of 1,256
maybe it's just me but I have experienced something strange with my Play-unit.

I noticed on (14/4) that for some reason my Play-unit did no longer mute the RCA outputs when i plugged in my headphones into the headphone-jack and started listening to music, but instead sound was being played from both my speakers and headphones simultaneously.

I've tried plugging the headphones in/out but still get the same result, and I've been pretty thorough on following the manual when it comes to plugging the headphones in/out after i asked about that earlier in this thread.

So i have taken it apart to see if i could see any damage on any components/board but my poorly trained eyes didn't see anything but i can provide pictures for anyone wanting to see.

Any ideas what could be the cause of this problem?

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #475 of 1,256

I noticed on (14/4) that for some reason my Play-unit did no longer mute the RCA outputs when i plugged in my headphones into the headphone-jack and started listening to music, but instead sound was being played from both my speakers and headphones simultaneously.

I've tried plugging the headphones in/out but still get the same result, and I've been pretty thorough on following the manual when it comes to plugging the headphones in/out after i asked about that earlier in this thread.

So i have taken it apart to see if i could see any damage on any components/board but my poorly trained eyes didn't see anything but i can provide pictures for anyone wanting to see.

Upload the pic

Apr 16, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #476 of 1,256

My Play did the same thing right from the box. Still, I experienced no problem with sound quality while playing simultaneousely :/ However, reviews on websites say that RCA out should be muted automatically when you plug your headphones... weird.
The picture of mine is posted on previous page, post #460

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #477 of 1,256
Upload the pic

here are the pictures. kapow

My Play did the same thing right from the box. Therefore I experienced no problem with sound quality while playing simultaneousely :/ However, reviews on websites say that RCA out should be muted automatically when you plug your headphones... weird.
The picture of mine is posted on previous page, post #460

I haven't noticed anything about the sound quality, it still sounds excellent with just RCA or headphones (disconnected the RCA cables) or when its playing from both simultaneously. But yes, it did mute the RCA outputs, then suddenly sound was playing from both. :slight_frown:

Apr 19, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #478 of 1,256
Usually this is the normal behaviour to most combo DAC/headamp and personally I consider this as being a highlight under some circumstances, but now all depends on your setup. The sound mutes when inserting the jack headphones probably because of the short-circuit that is created, then it reverts to normal. Again, I really think this is normal behaviour, but feel free to ping BURSON about this if you feel like.

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:42 AM Post #480 of 1,256
Usually this is the normal behaviour to most combo DAC/headamp and personally I consider this as being a highlight under some circumstances, but now all depends on your setup. The sound mutes when inserting the jack headphones probably because of the short-circuit that is created, then it reverts to normal. Again, I really think this is normal behaviour, but feel free to ping BURSON about this if you feel like.

I find it strange for it to be normal behavior to play sound from both places, considering the point of the headphone jack is so that you will not "bother" others with what you are listening to etc.
I took mine to a teacher i have and asked what could be wrong, he said it's most likely something in the heaphone jack that's broken but it can be easily fixed by buying a new one and soldering it on. But i have ordered the 1.1v motherboard so hopefully when that arrives my problem will go away.

I ordered a Burson PLAY unit a few days ago. How long do they usually take to ship?

Mine was shipped the 14th of March from China and I received it the 27th of March in Norway + 1 or 2 days for order processing etc so about 14 - 15 days but it depends on where you are.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back