New: Burson Audio Play Amp/DAC (2W@16Ohm) (op-amp rollers dream)
Apr 7, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #451 of 1,256
Buck converter, boost converter...same operating principles after all, however not much difference between the "old" and the "new" SMPS regulators, but I'm sure the improvde ground plane and the 20 more polarised caps will make difference in the background noise when IEM cans are used. So, selvakumar...we're all waiting for a background noise check and A/B test pretty please. :)

Apr 8, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #452 of 1,256
Buck converter, boost converter...same operating principles after all, however not much difference between the "old" and the "new" SMPS regulators, but I'm sure the improvde ground plane and the 20 more polarised caps will make difference in the background noise when IEM cans are used. So, selvakumar...we're all waiting for a background noise check and A/B test pretty please. :)
Background noise reduced a lot

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #460 of 1,256
Hello,

It should be some other revision becouse I have V2.1 and as I can see, it differs a lot.
I'm following this thread becouse I experience some problems with background noise. Even when I use my DT990 250 ohm after something like one hour of playing/idling I hear background noise.
Also the unit gets pretty hot even for an class A-amp it's hot. From my observations, the background "hissing" noise gets louder as the unit temperature raises.
The power regulators in my unit are XLSEMI XL6008E1 and XLSEMI XL4008E1, so as you mentioned in previous post they're not doing their job quite well... I'm currently using the original 70W power brick from Burson but
after switching to molex plug from my PSU (Be Quiet! Dark Power pro - which is very good I guess) I hear the background noise fades out but not completely - it's just barely noticeable.
For now I'm waiting for response from Alex... Maybe they could send me a new PCB or I will just send the unit back. I want to use it outside the computer and I can't accept such noise becouse it's just too annoying for me :D

Below I post my PCB photo for you to compare.

Robert

https://imgur.com/xk7Dr0i
5n6p7c.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #461 of 1,256
That's the same PCB I had, and your problems are similar with mines. Except I had no hiss, but a lot of hum.
Also only using the power brick from Burson. On PC it was no hum, just an almost imperceptible white noise.
I've suspected the power brick to be noisy and I've tried to replace it with better ones, but none has worked - get in overload protection.

Apr 10, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #462 of 1,256
Hi Guys,

As you know, we have implemented design improvements to the Burson Play. When compared to the previous production version, the new one (1.1) is better able to work with sensitive headphones and IEM. Furthermore, 1.1 is less dependent on the quality of the power supply hence making it an even better product when working with PC internal power supplies.

If you don't use the Play within those parameters then 1.1 makes little or no difference to your listening experience. However, we are also offering customers an opportunity to update their unit to 1.1.

It's 99USD inclusive of postage and there is a little bit of DIYing involved. The process is simple and the instructions are as below.

23k9chj.jpg

* Order the motherboard from us for just 99USD inclusive of postage. (send email to: info@bursonaudio.com)

* Use the hex key in the accessories box to remove the front plate, back plate and the USB receiver.

* Unscrew the 12 screws shown in the picture below. Please note that 2 of them are plastic screws and need to go back to the same places when implementing the new board.

* Screw in the new board. Put the USB receiver, front and back plates back in and ensure that all pin connectors are connected properly.

Done. but if you run into issues then we are always ready to help. : )

Furthermore, this process will not void its 5 years warranty.

Team Burson

Last edited:
Burson Audio Stay updated on Burson Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BursonAudio https://twitter.com/bursonaudio http://www.bursonaudio.com/products/
Apr 10, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #463 of 1,256
Hi Guys,

As you know, we have implemented design improvements to the Burson Play. When compared to the previous production version, the new one (1.1) is better able to work with sensitive headphones and IEM. Furthermore, 1.1 is less dependent on the quality of the power supply hence making it an even better product when working with PC internal power supplies.

If you don't use the Play within those parameters then 1.1 makes little or no difference to your listening experience. However, we are also offering customers an opportunity to update their unit to 1.1.

It's 99USD inclusive of postage and there is a little bit of DIYing involved. The process is simple and the instructions are as below.

23k9chj.jpg

* Order the motherboard from us for just 99USD inclusive of postage. (send email to: info@bursonaudio.com)

* Use the hex key in the accessories box to remove the front plate, back plate and the USB receiver.

* Unscrew the 12 screws shown in the picture below. Please note that 2 of them are plastic screws and need to go back to the same places when implementing the new board.

* Screw in the new board. Put the USB receiver, front and back plates back in and ensure that all pin connectors are connected properly.

Done. but if you run into issues then we are always ready to help. : )

Furthermore, this process will not void its 5 years warranty.

Team Burson
Excellent job guys ill place the order for the new PCB and since i own three play the latest one comes with new Board remaning two need to be replaced one more thing I been in computer industry for almost 15 years I been searching everywhere for good sound card found many but end up in bad driver and EMI noise BUT finally BORSON AUDIO listen to the PC enthusiast market and made an Excellent device with good driver or Driverless and Audiophile grade circuit and one more CLASS A device HATS OFF BURSON AUDIO

Apr 10, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #464 of 1,256
Excellent job guys ill place the order for the new PCB and since i own three play the latest one comes with new Board remaning two need to be replaced one more thing I been in computer industry for almost 15 years I been searching everywhere for good sound card found many but end up in bad driver and EMI noise BUT finally BORSON AUDIO listen to the PC enthusiast market and made an Excellent device with good driver or Driverless and Audiophile grade circuit and one more CLASS A device HATS OFF BURSON AUDIO
My device is coming next week. I was asked(by a few R6 Siege pro players)to do a review for e-sport community so I'll translate it into English and post it here also. I hope I'll be as excited as you about this device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back