New budget Swans M10 computer speakers at The Audio Insider
Oct 18, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #46 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdameron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pics? Next to something for size?

RCA inputs? So out of the box most people can't use them without a trip to rat shack?

How long are the cables from the satellites to the sub? Can the sub go on the ground?

I wouldn't recommend putting the sub on the ground. First, the power switch and volume knob are part of the sub. Secondly, the speaker cone is unprotected so it could easily get damaged.

Size specs are on Swans' site for dimensions.

Without measuring, my guess the satellite cables are 4-5 feet in length.

Oct 18, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #47 of 91
Systems like this kill me. They are just good enough to like, but cheap enough that you want to take them apart and rebuild them. Retail -- the drivers would cost you around $80-$100. As far as I'm concerned, the encosures are blue sky because you could easily build enclosures which are much better, sonically, and cosmetically if you take the time. The internal amplification is something which could be reworked. ARGH! The bottom line is, if you wanted to put together a system with the same drivers, you may as well buy the M10's and take them apart, because again, you could barely buy the raw drivers for the same price, retail. DIY itch... intensifying!

Oct 19, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #49 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by mdameron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
RCA inputs? So out of the box most people can't use them without a trip to rat shack?

They come with a RCA to 1/8" plug cable.

Oct 19, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #50 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by umcloud /img/forum/go_quote.gif

They did? Guess I need to look through my box again.
blink.gif
Or maybe that's what's rattling around loose in my sub.
tongue.gif

Oct 19, 2007 at 10:54 AM Post #51 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the drivers don't have anything to protect them, I was thinking it'd be a good idea to wrap some speaker grill mesh/cloth/whatever over it.

Would be a bit tricky to pull off and have it look good. I'm talking about the sub, of course. The satellites would be relatively easy.

Oct 19, 2007 at 2:14 PM Post #54 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

Haha, I think the mystery may have been solved!
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2007 at 6:14 PM Post #55 of 91
well, my order got lost in the mail, but its back on track... are the rca cables it comes with worth using, or should i make some nicer ones?

Oct 19, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #56 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by umcloud /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wait, they have RCA inputs and come with an RCA to 1/8" adapter?
blink.gif

or did you mean 1/8" to RCA adapter?
plainface.gif

Oct 20, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #58 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They did? Guess I need to look through my box again.
blink.gif
tongue.gif

Hahaha! That's probably it! I was thinking they use an L type port instead of a straight one, and thought perhaps the other side of the L broke off.

Oct 20, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #59 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the drivers don't have anything to protect them, I was thinking it'd be a good idea to wrap some speaker grill mesh/cloth/whatever over it.

Take the face panel off and cover it in a pair of white pantyhose.

Oct 20, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #60 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by tpc41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ordered mine on Thursday, i figured for 100 bucks, they had to sound better than my current philips wal-mart speakers, plus I'm not sure if i have ever seen a better looking 2.1 setup in my life. Any more thoughts on sub placement?

Lol, are you using these?
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j1...i/PICT0851.jpg

I'm so drooling over the M10 right now, I can't decide what to burn 100 on, these, or the Audio Technica SQ5s (then again I have plenty of headphones, but that logic doesn't apply to head-fi members).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back