New budget Swans M10 computer speakers at The Audio Insider
Oct 17, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #32 of 91
I'm going to make myself the cables I need tomorrow morning so I can have these hooked up to my computer as well as my Olive Symphony and then I'll provide back some more info.

A couple notes in regards to practicality: There is a power switch on the back - it's not built into the volume switch. You can dial in the amount of bass coming from the sub which is also on the back. So you all might want to keep that in mind in regards to where you'll be putting the sub. If you are one to constantly futz with the sub setting put it somewhere so you can reach around easily enough.

In regards to the sub: Max is too much for my tastes and things get muddy. The way I have mine set up it is not easy for me to see the back but I'm guessing I've got them currently dialed up a bit past the halfway point. Still trying to find the sweet spot. The mids are handled pretty nicely on the satellites and there is some high-end sparkle.

With the wife in bed I'll have to wait till tomorrow to pump up the volume a bit and see how it handles. I'm hoping after some burn-in they will start to open up. There is a bit of congestion.

Oct 17, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #33 of 91
Do it fungi
biggrin.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #34 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a bit of congestion.

Surely I'm not the only one that sees that as a great accomplishment in the world of "multimedia" speakers, especially coming from someone with lots of nice headphones?

By the way, what inputs does the M10 have? I can't quite decipher it from your previous posts.

Oct 17, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #36 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Surely I'm not the only one that sees that as a great accomplishment in the world of "multimedia" speakers, especially coming from someone with lots of nice headphones?

By the way, what inputs does the M10 have? I can't quite decipher it from your previous posts.

RCA inputs. Each satellite plugs in via RCAs then there is one set of RCA inputs.

Oct 18, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #38 of 91
Well they arrived today, and I got them set up and have been listening for about an hour. So far, I've been very pleased, but I'll wait to give detailed impressions till I've broken them in a little more.

What I will say is that they look just as nice as in the pictures, and seem really solidly built as well. I am a little worried about how exposed the drivers are - they seem to be begging to be accidentally damaged, especially the sub. You definitely don't want to keep it on the floor, lest you get a little overexcited by the music and end up with your foot through the driver. And as warrior05 mentioned, the cloth bags are a really nice touch, and should protect the drivers if you ever need to store the speakers.

Oct 18, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #39 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
comparison to the m200s please!
biggrin.gif

x2

Oct 18, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #41 of 91
I'm pretty convinced that the M10s are very good $110 speakers. I put it that way because in no way are they giant killers but for my application they are just about perfect. I don't do any gaming so these were just for music listening. The bass could be a bit more detailed and musical but with it dialed down somewhat I'm not complaining loudly. I tried volume levels I typically don't listen at and I didn't hear any distortion. They have decent instrument separation but full orchestra classical is a bit overwhelming for them.

umcloud is oh so right - these things are an accident waiting to happen. I keep picturing puncturing the bass driver with a pen or something.
blink.gif

Hoping the bass settles in more but I am very satisfied with these speakers even if they don't evolve over time (though I expect they will).

Oct 18, 2007 at 12:46 PM Post #43 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by umcloud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Z-2300, from what I understand (never heard them, so I could be wrong), is all about thumping bass and filling the room with sound.

If the sub level control is set incorrectly, yes.

While swan is certainly more highly regarded in terms of audio, a ~100 2.1 system is a ~100 2.1 system. (though the logitech originally listed for $150, and has an 8" sub). I think the best thing about the z-2300 is its amplifier headroom, actually.

That said, I hope swan will make an M200-level 2.1 system in the future. I've hit the upgrade wall unless I go studio monitor, but I don't have room (video is more important than un-headphoned audio at my desk, and 3 lcd's don't leave much space). I wish there were more options for desktop audio with small sats (that sounded good).

Oct 18, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #44 of 91
Hm, I'm also considering these. Though not so easy to get here in the Netherlands.

Waiting for some comparisons
biggrin.gif
, like how these fare vs logitechs (z 2300, which are alot easier to get).

Oct 18, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #45 of 91
Pics? Next to something for size?

RCA inputs? So out of the box most people can't use them without a trip to rat shack?

How long are the cables from the satellites to the sub? Can the sub go on the ground?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back