NEW BINAURAL/HYBRID SACD Glenn Gould/Zenph
Jun 15, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #46 of 60
Glen Gould is an aquired taste and which I never aquired, for me he is way to mannered in his interpretation for me to fully appreciate the sonics of his recordings.

- augustwest

Jun 20, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #47 of 60
So...Is the binaural track only available to SACD users? I just got the disc, but haven't had the chance to hear it yet. I would very much like the opportunity to listen to the binaural track but have no SACD player.

Jun 20, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #48 of 60
The binaural track is available on both the CD and SACD layers. It starts on track 33.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So...Is the binaural track only available to SACD users? I just got the disc, but haven't had the chance to hear it yet. I would very much like the opportunity to listen to the binaural track but have no SACD player.

Jun 23, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #50 of 60
Wow, I just got this Hybrid SACD and even through my modest setup (SCD CE595 to EMU 0404 USB to Beyer DT-880s), it sounds absolutely fantastic. Easily the best recording that I have ever heard through my setup. The Binaural recording is truly a wonder to behold and I seriously hope that more recordings will be done this way in the future.

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:32 PM Post #51 of 60
Repost from the LFF thread.

I am probably going to get the recordings, I am a Gould fan and a Goldberg fan as well.

BUT I listened to it in a cd store and to be honest, I was disapointed immediatly by the piano they used and/or the resonances in the recording. It's somehow anti-gould. He always had steinways and had them transformed to have a sound more adequat to what he wanted. The more resonance you have, the less you can appreciate the articulation between the notes, and the part of silence/sound.

There is something as well with the bass, too heavy (again compared to all Gould recordings).

Those 2 aspects makes, imho, part of what was glenn gould missing from this recording.

I am not saying it's a bad recording in term of sound, I am saying that this type or recording is totally unusual in gould recordings (that he was contolling a lot).

What do you guys think ?
Lionel

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #52 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by lionel marechal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He always had Steinway's and had them transformed to have a sound more adequate to what he wanted. The more resonance you have, the less you can appreciate the articulation between the notes, and the part of silence/sound.

You are absolutely right. It's not Gould's piano. It is essentially Gould playing the same concert from 1955 on a Yamaha concert grand. Zenph had Marc Wienert attempt to accurately voice the piano and Gould's long time piano tuner Paul Gilchrist tune it, but it is just not the same instrument.

That said, the recording is still outstanding, and a very welcome addition. Gould enthusiasts won't be tossing their original recordings anytime soon.

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:45 PM Post #53 of 60
Funny that someone bumped this thread. I was browsing though Border's bookstore last night and found this in the store. I thought it would be an internet only thing. Me and my girlfriend listened to it last night *thumbs up*. The only issue that I had is it sounded too perfect. No wood creaking, no soft noise other than the notes themselves, a bit like midi music - Oh well, it's still enjoyable.

Jul 4, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #54 of 60
I purchased the recording (my first impression were from listening in a store) and it confirms my post above.

One recommendation would be to remove the excessive bass in the recording. I think they are excessive per se, and based on Gould recordings, even more in his case.

Something like that in foobar for example. It's going to make the bass line more clear and articulated.

Comments/Impressions welcome
Lionel

zenph-equal1.jpg

Jul 4, 2007 at 9:12 PM Post #55 of 60
The binaural recording, regarless of its other qualities, has a significant additional clarity compared to the 'stereo' recording. I am enjoying it more because of this than the 'stereo' recording on the same cd. To my ears/mind, it is closer to what I imagine it should be (IMHO, IMHO, IMHO) 'in the case of Gould'.

His 82 recording is so different from the 55 (or the 59th Salzbourg live), that we cannot really assume that the recording/piano sound that he achieved in 82 was the one to look for in a reperformance of 55. Still, he has been consistant his whole life regarding his Piano, how it should feel (key weight and course length) and sound.

Actually, this is interesting for everybody to see the impact of the recording. We rarely have have this opportunity. We have remasters, but rarely an other recording of the same performance. This is helped here by the fact that his 55 performance was pretty fast conpared to the 82 one (so the 2 recordings fits one cd).

The booklet notes indicates that the 'stero' and the binaural recordings, have been performed at the same time, on the same 'reperformance'.

Interesting indeed is the mix of enjoyment and frustration.
For example, if I listen to the complete goldbergs (and not only picking a single variations), I feel more that something is missing.

Lionel

Jul 5, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #56 of 60
Is everyone getting the hiss on their cd's?

My understanding was that this was a digitised (z?) recording, sending data to a receiver that operated a real piano, so where does the hiss come from?

However, I muist admit that the recording absolutely gripped me but I did miss Gould's grunts.

Ian

Jul 5, 2007 at 7:12 PM Post #57 of 60
I do not hear any hiss on my recording.

The original recording has been used as a base to generate high def midi files (so they say), that have then been tuned by ear. The Yamaha Grand Piano Diskclavier has then been used to 're-perform' the execution.

Lionel

Jul 6, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #58 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by lionel marechal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not hear any hiss on my recording.

The original recording has been used as a base to generate high def midi files (so they say), that have then been tuned by ear. The Yamaha Grand Piano Diskclavier has then been used to 're-perform' the execution.

Lionel

Thanks Lionel,

That was my understanding so I am puzzled why I detect (low amounts of) hiss on my CD. It's nothing like the original Glenn Gould recording of course but you are aware that the recording is about to start when the hiss enters. (If you see what I mean)

Maybe I have a duff copy.

Ian

Jul 6, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #59 of 60
Just listened to this SACD some more and I definately prefer the binaural - the highs are more sparkly. The imaging is better as well.

I'm liking this recording more and more.

Jul 23, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #60 of 60
This recording is a lot of fun. Not exactly like the old Gould per se (the difference is no grunts - the notes are identical) but a briliant binaural Goldberg for headphooes. No problems ripping the CD layer to iPod.

I'd love to see other applications of this technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back