NEW BINAURAL/HYBRID SACD Glenn Gould/Zenph
Jun 6, 2007 at 5:23 AM Post #31 of 60
$12.99 at amazon.com

Just bought it with the Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue SACD to get free shipping.

Jun 6, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #32 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahhh...there is a problem. You can't rip it to your iPOD.
frown.gif

Have you tried EAC? A Mac or Linux machine nearby by chance?

Interesting that the binaural tracks are being discussed as for the "iPod crowd".

Jun 6, 2007 at 8:18 AM Post #33 of 60
I have tried EAC with no luck. I don't have access to a mac or linux.
frown.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 12:23 PM Post #34 of 60
is the disc a hybrid cd/sacd or a straight sacd? IIRC, if it's just SACD there's no way to rip it digitally without getting seriously involved.

A quick google reveals these posts on hydrogenaudio forum:

Quote:

First, you (normally) can't read SACD data using your standard DVD ROM drive.

Second, even if you could read it, the data is strongly encrypted.

Third, even if you could decrypt it, it's compressed by a proprietary lossless compression method.

Fourth, even if you could decompress it, the stream format (DSD) is unreadable by most audio processing software.

Quote:

SACD has copy protection on the physical level, similar to how Playstation 2 discs are copy protected. The data is encrypted and the key stored in an area of the disc not readable by anything except an SACD device. This is similar to the PS2 copy protection where a code is stored in an area of the disc which can't be read by conventional devices. This also prevents the code being written by a standard burner. Both technologies are designed so only pressing the disc will copy the code (or key in the case of SACD).

To read an SACD, you'd need a reader with an adjusted focal length suitable for reading SACD discs (the standard 1.2 mm length will give you the CD audio track if it's a hybrid or nothing if it's SACD only). The reader would also have to be capable of reading the encryption key. Even if you did this you'd be stuck with a Direct Stream Digital stream and as rjamorim said there are very few tools capable of working with a DSD stream.

The only feasible method of losslessly capturing SACD audio at the moment would be a device that captured data after the decryption stage but before the digital to analog stage. You'd need to modify a hardware SACD player to do this.

Jun 6, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #35 of 60
All signs point to it's a hybrid. If they have a copy in stock, I'll pick one up today. I'll let you guys know if I have any problems ripping in iTunes or Max in OS X or whatever I have in Ubuntu. I'll also try Windows (the joys of multiple OSs on Intel Macs). Most copy protection is pretty Windows-centric, but I believe Sony has targeted Macs before.

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #36 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All signs point to it's a hybrid. If they have a copy in stock, I'll pick one up today. I'll let you guys know if I have any problems ripping in iTunes or Max in OS X or whatever I have in Ubuntu. I'll also try Windows (the joys of multiple OSs on Intel Macs). Most copy protection is pretty Windows-centric, but I believe Sony has targeted Macs before.

Thanks - look forward to hearing about it.

Jun 7, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #37 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by werdwerdus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
$12.99 at amazon.com

Thats brutal! It is $18.99 on amazon.ca - given the exchange rate they are ripping us Canadians off.
frown.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #38 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats brutal! It is $18.99 on amazon.ca - given the exchange rate they are ripping us Canadians off.
frown.gif

$6 = decent heathcare. It's a trade-off.
wink.gif

Just ran some tests and no problems on OS X, XP or Ubuntu. Played fine on default players of all three and imported without hassles in iTunes on OS X. I really don't think there's a problem here.

Jun 7, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #39 of 60
Quote:

My player says Hybrid and SACD when I put it in. It's not the original but an interesting CD.

Jun 7, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #40 of 60
Quote:

LOL... you know, we do pay for it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 3:55 PM Post #41 of 60
Quote:

wink.gif

Just ran some tests and no problems on OS X, XP or Ubuntu. Played fine on default players of all three and imported without hassles in iTunes on OS X. I really don't think there's a problem here.

That's good to know

Jun 13, 2007 at 6:40 AM Post #43 of 60
Jun 14, 2007 at 9:27 AM Post #44 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nattydraddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would like to order it from amazon.de. But haven´t found it.-( Only at amazon.com.

Hope german site of amazon will get the recording also. Otherwise i have to import it.

@blipmusic:
I haven´t found the record on amazon.co.uk. Could you post me a link?

I found it by typing 'Zenph' on the UK site. Maybe that'll work for you.

Ian

Jun 15, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #45 of 60
This sacd disc is a must have for all headphone addicts.

Layer 3 (normally the 5.1 surround track) has been recorded
binaural from the viewpoint of glen gould. On headphones
this is absolutely the best ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back