NEW BINAURAL/HYBRID SACD Glenn Gould/Zenph
May 30, 2007 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 60

Stax-i-nox

100+ Head-Fier
I am sitting here typing this post, listening to probably the most incredible Hybrid SACD I have ever heard. To get a better picture of what's going on in this CD, click on this link.

www.zenph.com

This CD was just released today, May 29.

"Gould 1955 Goldberg Variations" Zenph Re-Performance Sony Classical

Basically, Zenph has invented a way to take old solo piano recordings, and from the sound alone, re-create/re-perform them on a modern solenoid based piano, in this case, a 9ft Concert Grand Yamaha Disklavier Pro. This recording is a "re-performance" of Glenn Gould's 1955 Goldberg Variations, performed on this 9ft Grand Piano. Gould is playing on a modern grand piano.... It's simply phenomenal, not only do you get Super Audio CD Stereo, Super Audio CD Surround Sound, you also get a BINAURAL recorded section, specifically for HEADPHONES!! What a great sounding recording, and for them to include a Binaural section is fantastic! It sounds like I am sitting at the piano! Let's hope we see more companies add a binaural section to their CD's!!
k1000smile.gif

May 30, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #2 of 60
Very interesting tech.

May 30, 2007 at 9:33 AM Post #4 of 60
When you say Hybrid SACD, as I don't have a SACD player, do you know what the Redbook part is like - i.e. is it a binaural experience or a "normal stereo" one? I'm guessing binaural since that is what the Zenph site brags about, I just wanted to be sure.

*two minutes passes by*

Doh, ordered anyway. It's only £10 incl. VAT and shipping from amazon.co.uk. :p

May 30, 2007 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 60
i would like to order it from amazon.de. But haven´t found it.-( Only at amazon.com.

Hope german site of amazon will get the recording also. Otherwise i have to import it.

@blipmusic:
I haven´t found the record on amazon.co.uk. Could you post me a link?

May 30, 2007 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 60
Absolutely brilliant use of technology. I think it would be even more amazing if they could isolate piano from old tracks, then play them on the Yamaha with new musicians. This would be especially killer for old jazz piano combo recordings.

Nice find, thanks.

May 30, 2007 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 60
Really interesting!
I will see if I can find it in a local store...

May 30, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #9 of 60
gosh-darnit! I JUST purchased 20 cds from amazon yesterday and thought I was done!!! Nooooooo, now I had to order this!!
biggrin.gif
I hope Zenph gets access to some of thelonius monk's, and bill evans' recordings!
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #11 of 60
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nattydraddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i would like to order it from amazon.de. But haven´t found it.-( Only at amazon.com.

Hope german site of amazon will get the recording also. Otherwise i have to import it.

@blipmusic:
I haven´t found the record on amazon.co.uk. Could you post me a link?

This should be the right one. I hope.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit: Mine shipped today! Now waiting for its arrival.
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit 2: Note: I actually just did a search for "zenph".

May 30, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #12 of 60
The redbook section of the CD is coupled with the SACD surround, so whatever player/processor you have will extract the necessary info. The Binaural section is totally separate and starts on track # 33. The more I listen to this, the more amazed I am. The thought of having all the these great pianists who are not with us any more, playing on modern grand pianos, is simply mind boggling. I think it's possible to have modern musicians play along with a jazz pianist for example, they (the live musicians) would have to practice quite a bit to be able to sync it with the piano.
k1000smile.gif

May 30, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #13 of 60
Thanks for heads up. Not for purists but what the heck

May 30, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #14 of 60
The sound is just fantastic on this new recording.

To clarify the Zenph process......they can take an old solo piano recording, and from just the sound information on the record, they make a high resolution midi file that is played back only on a solenoid based piano, in this case, a 9ft Yamaha Concert Grand Disklaiver Pro. The information on this high-res midi file is not a normal "sound" recording per se, but a highly complex computer language file that is only playable on a Disklaiver equipped piano. That piano is then recorded with the very latest sound recording equipment, just like you would do today, when a soloist would come into the studio to record a CD.
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back