New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Apr 7, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #1,036 of 1,956

I am getting the ALO Continental Dual Mono.. I like the sound of Alo headphone amps..i won't just be watching people on twitch I will be listening to music aswell.. I have the A2 with Beyer Amiron being fed from a parasound intergrated dac preamp..it's just that I wanted the same type of sound when I want to go upstairs and chillout by myself!

Sounds like a good idea. How do you like Amiron by the way?

May 1, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #1,040 of 1,956
I had both, but sold the AKs and kept the BDs. The AK seemed to have the Tesla Gen 2 baffle design, although AK informed me that it was a gen 1 tesla driver. It seems like Beyerdynamic made iterative improvements to the gen 1 tesla driver so it ended up being quite similar to the gen 2.

Sound wise they were very similar. The AKT5p had slightly more and slightly looser bass, and it also seemed to have a peak somewhere in the midrange which could make some tracks sound nasal. The differences in sound were very small, and it took a lot of comparing the two to really notice them.

The biggest differences were physical:

Earpads and headband - AK: lambs' leather, BD: pleather. The earpads are a little thinner on the AKs. I prefer the pleather on the BDs.
Cable: AK: thin fixed cable with 2.5mm balanced TRS plug, BD: removable fabric covered cable with standard 3.5mm TRS plug. The cable was the deciding factor for me. The AK cable was very thin and I particularly didn't like having to use the 2.5mm->3.5mm adaptor.

-Mark.

May 2, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #1,042 of 1,956
As promised, here's a brief photo tutorial on the T5p surgery:

Step 1: Grab the edge of the earpad and gently pull up. It should come off without resistance.

Step 2: Using a knife (any knife with a thin blade will do), insert the back side of the blade into the slit and pry sideways as marked.
That will detach the fastening ring.

Step 3: Using the knife blade, apply light pressure to the raised side of the driver assembly and pull away from the cup. Sounds scary, but it leaves hardly any marks and is not visible anyway.
The cable inside should be long enough to allow for some movement, nevertheless apply some care unless you are ready for some emergency soldering...

Step 4: Make sure the foam rings fit the inside of the cup.

Step 5: Insert the foam ring. No gluing is necessary.

Step 6: The earcup contains a groove on the side of cable fitting. When assembling back, align the tongue on the driver mount with that grove and gently press the mount in.

Step 7: Fit the earpad on the fastening ring. This can be a bit fiddly. I use a corner of a credit card to guide the edge in.

Step 8: Find the small tongue on the edge of the ring and align it with the groove on the earcup (yes, the same groove as before). Squish the two together. You should hear a few clicks. Make sure that the fit is nice and even around the edge.

Well - that's it. Hope this may encourage some of you to experimenting and if you do - please share your findings!

Are yours more like the gen 1s then? There were some instructions on how to remove and replace the pads on the gen 1s in the gen 1 thread. They also remove the driver, which you won't need to do.

Last edited:
May 2, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #1,043 of 1,956
The Beyerdynamic company has destroyed a very good headphones (original T5p) by "improving" bass on the new 2-d generation one. Now it's not listenable at all, it's got boomy bass and it gives headache after some time of usage. I'ts actually unbelievable that Germans could do that !! Same thing happened to T1 2-nd. They destroyed their both flagship headphones.

Agreed. The boosted midbass destroys the listening experience.

May 3, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #1,044 of 1,956
Slightly boosted sub-bass and linear mid-bass is the way to go. Boosted mid-bass turns any headphone into Beats.

May 19, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #1,046 of 1,956
Jun 6, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #1,048 of 1,956
Do you guys think I should wait for the MrSpeaker's AEON? or I should go with the t5p.2?

Jun 6, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #1,050 of 1,956
how about both! I have the t5p v2 but could certainly find a place in my collection for the AEON.
That would be great. unfortunately I don't have the budget :frowning2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back