New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Aug 25, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #737 of 1,965
Got it on an eBay auction for a great price of 555€. However I also advise to check out Amazon UK or Spain. Saw them for a solid 743€ there from Amazon or trustworthy sellers and was ready to pull the trigger on those offers before I saw the auction.

Aug 25, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #738 of 1,965
I've been using the Yulong D18 DAC and A18 amp which are very good and I've been pleased with the sound.  I just got a Burson Conductor-Virtuoso and immediately noticed a more full and detailed sound.  I'm not sure if the Burson is just a better match for the T5p's or if this is scaling up.

Thanks. I'm debating whether to replace my Alpha Primes with these because they're easier to drive.

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #740 of 1,965
So, I have a question?  I've listened to the DT-1770 out of the box at a music store for about 30 minutes with my Geekout V2.  I got a good idea of their sound signature.  I found them very much to my liking.  They are a step up from my AKG 553Pro cans that are fully broke in.  My question is, for anyone who can answer, is the step up to the T5P from the DT-1770 really worth the extra money.  I can get an open box DT-1770 for about $437.00 on Amazon.  $800-900 for the T5p is a big jump for a marginal improvment.  I'm interested in value.  Value CAN be the more expensive option I understand.  My Geekout V2 does have a balanced out jack so that is unexplored territory.  The T5p can run in balanced mode and the DT-1770 cannot.  Perhaps this difference alone is worth the extra money.  Can anyone advise?

Aug 25, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #741 of 1,965
  So, I have a question?  I've listened to the DT-1770 out of the box at a music store for about 30 minutes with my Geekout V2.  I got a good idea of their sound signature.  I found them very much to my liking.  They are a step up from my AKG 553Pro cans that are fully broke in.  My question is, for anyone who can answer, is the step up to the T5P from the DT-1770 really worth the extra money.  I can get an open box DT-1770 for about $437.00 on Amazon.  $800-900 for the T5p is a big jump for a marginal improvment.  I'm interested in value.  Value CAN be the more expensive option I understand.  My Geekout V2 does have a balanced out jack so that is unexplored territory.  The T5p can run in balanced mode and the DT-1770 cannot.  Perhaps this difference alone is worth the extra money.  Can anyone advise?

I was wondering when this would come up, I haven't found a comparison. I have both but just got the T5p2 yesterday and haven't spent any quality time with it yet. I really like the DT-1770 though. The clamping force is quite a bit different and the 5 is definitely more suited to mobile, the cord is a lot nicer for mobile use. At home I am very happy with the 1770. I also prefer the velcro pads, may be replacing the ones on the T5p soon.

Aug 25, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #742 of 1,965
I was wondering when this would come up, I haven't found a comparison. I have both but just got the T5p2 yesterday and haven't spent any quality time with it yet. I really like the DT-1770 though. The clamping force is quite a bit different and the 5 is definitely more suited to mobile, the cord is a lot nicer for mobile use. At home I am very happy with the 1770. I also prefer the velcro pads, may be replacing the ones on the T5p soon.

The DT1770 uses a standard mini-xlr cable (just like the AKG K7XX and Q7XX variants), which are very common and easy to find. You can get one on Amazon for $10-20, depending on length.

But with that said, I'm curious if anyone has compared the two.

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #743 of 1,965
@Condocondor: I've compared them side by side twice in two different shops for at least one hour all in all. As they were demo units, I'm sure they were fully broken in (if that exists).

In my experience, the DT1770 has definitely got more bass quantity which was really nice on electronic music like Christian Löffler or hip-hop.Furthermore the sound seems to be more direct on your ears which is due to the angled driver in the T5P. Therefore the soundstage on the DT1770 seemed smaller, but still large for a closed headphones. Clearly bigger than on my PSB M4U2s. On higher levels the treble on the DT1770 got more harsh. I guess the signature is a slight v or u curve.
The resolution of both headphones didn't differ to much, I guess the T5P had a slight edge. However, that could also be attributed to the different emphasis on the bass and treble.
The T5P seemed more natural to my ears, having a more balanced, though still little warm signature. This also meant less tiring in my case. I absolutely loved its holographic soundstage. On some songs on Sufjan Steven's Illinoise album, the voice was portrayed very realistically in front of you. The bass was great and much better than on T5P first gen which I didn't like as much as the dt1770 in a first comparison. The second gen however seemed perfect to my ears on that aspect. The build quality on both was great. The clamping on the dt1770 is noticeably higher, probably resulting in a better isolation.
I'd advise to give both a try if you have the opportunity.
Since I got the T5P 2nd gen for nearly the same price , it was a no-brainer. If I had to pay he retail if 1199€ German retail price, I wouldn't go for it. I guess it comes down to a matter of preference, both being very good phones, especially if you can get them for a lower price.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #744 of 1,965
Ok, I have done some A/B listening with 1770 & T5p2. They are very similar yet different. The 1770 seems less spacious with the highs, less sparkle. The bottom is more solid though. I like them both but it seems the 1770 may be better suited to Rock and the T5p for Jazz, at least for what I have listened to this afternoon. One caveat is that it is only my second day with tubes and they aren't great ones. So many variables at play. 

Aug 25, 2016 at 4:08 PM Post #745 of 1,965
svemo, since you posted while I was typing my comments were blind to yours. However, what you wrote speaks to me, that is definitely what I was hearing. 

Aug 26, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #746 of 1,965
Just trying my newly arrived pair...my first taste of the so-called "hi-end" and I'm very impressed. Very lush, smooth, airy, wide, dynamic, and rich. Definitely a step up from hps such as the pm3 and the like. Closest closed can that sounds like an open that I've heard. Great for outdoor use...isolation is good when music is playing, can hear a bit of outside noise when it's not. They don't look too gawkish either, just a bit big on my small noggin. Endgame?....hmmmm for now :)

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #748 of 1,965

@Condocondor: I have T5p mk1 and mk2  and the DT1770 and DT770. I hear the same like the guys answered you already. From my perspective the extra money is ok. I wanted to use the DT1770 for music production but i´m so used to T5p mk1 and even use it for that. And the T5p mk2 for just relaxing. Therefore i will sell the DT1770. PM me if you are interested.

Where i need help is what In-Ear has a similar sound signature as the T5p mk1 because the Apple ones.... well it is so hard if you are used to that sound - escpecially with Mojo.

Thanks

Aug 26, 2016 at 5:48 PM Post #750 of 1,965
I have four headphones but only one head and i think it is important to know where to come from.
First was the DT770 and then the T5p. The bass is absolutely ok for me on the mk1 version, especially in after-working hours with bass heavy music because i dont want the slam in that moment.
Then the DT1770. I used this one exclusively with the leather pads because of recording and listening very silent. But the readjustment is just too time consuming. Now we have the T5p mk2. (Almost) everybody is happy about the more bass compared to mk1. This is true but not so important for me and the big surprise is how stuff like backround vocals for examples are presented. I think the terminus at head-fi is this holographic thing. I hear it especially with current songs of Ellie Goulding or Loreen for example. So is this appreciably better - i dont know but for me yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back