New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Aug 4, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #723 of 1,956
Can anyone confirm if these and the Limited Edition Astell&Kern AKT5p are essentially the same headphone?

I know there's been some controversy over this.

Thanks!

The AKT5p are based on the original T5p, so they are different than the T5p 2nd Generation.

Aug 4, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #724 of 1,956

The AKT5p are based on the original T5p, so they are different than the T5p 2nd Generation.

Thanks for the quick response!

The T5P2 came out right after the AKT5p, so it stands to reason they may be quite similar. 

Has anyone here compared all three? I'm most interested in the T5P2, but I'd grab an AK5TP if it was the same, although that sounds unlikely considering your response.

Cheers!

Aug 4, 2016 at 10:58 AM Post #725 of 1,956

Thanks for the quick response!

The T5P2 came out right after the AKT5p, so it stands to reason they may be quite similar.

Has anyone here compared all three? I'm most interested in the T5P2, but I'd grab an AK5TP if it was the same, although that sounds unlikely considering your response.

Cheers!

AKT5p have a fixed cable, don't know sonic differences though,

Aug 4, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #727 of 1,956
Thanks for that. I don't do fixed cables. No AKT5P for me.

Now, has anyone compared the T5p2 to the Alpha Primes?

Thanks again.

No Alpha Primes but I had the Alpha Dogs.  The T5p has more exciting treble without being harsh, more mid-bass and much easier to drive.  The Alpha Dog have much better isolation and bass goes deeper but less overall bass quantity.  I found the Alpha dogs rather bland and enjoy the T5p's much more. The T5p's also image better and have more detail to my ears.  Comfort wise, the T5p is lighter and clamping force isn't as tight.  I prefer the T5p's there as well.

Aug 4, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #728 of 1,956
No Alpha Primes but I had the Alpha Dogs.  The T5p has more exciting treble without being harsh, more mid-bass and much easier to drive.  The Alpha Dog have much better isolation and bass goes deeper but less overall bass quantity.  I found the Alpha dogs rather bland and enjoy the T5p's much more. The T5p's also image better and have more detail to my ears.  Comfort wise, the T5p is lighter and clamping force isn't as tight.  I prefer the T5p's there as well.

Thanks for your impressions!

Aug 9, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #729 of 1,956
I was lurking around this thread for a while because I want to buy a pair. Seems Beyer just increase the MSRP the t5p 2nd gen by another 100 dollars. It was 1099 couple weeks ago. It is now 1199 at their official website. Some reputable vendors already raised their price too accordingly, some hasn't. So I pulled the trigger just 10 min ago. Just a FYI for someone who's on the buying fence. 

Aug 15, 2016 at 11:12 AM Post #730 of 1,956
I have a pair coming from Amazon.co.uk for significantly cheaper than US MSRP. I have had good luck doing this with tools from Amazon.de as well. 

Aug 15, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #731 of 1,956
  I have a pair coming from Amazon.co.uk for significantly cheaper than US MSRP. I have had good luck doing this with tools from Amazon.de as well. 

http://www.curiua.com is a great site for comparing prices across European sites.

I found my T1s cheapest on Amazon.es and I often buy on Amazon.de too. The irony is that the goods are actually dispatched from the Amazon UK warehouse close to where I live, which serves much of Europe.

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #733 of 1,956
How well do these scale up with higher-end dacs and amps? It seems that headphones designed for portable use don't scale as well.

I've been using the Yulong D18 DAC and A18 amp which are very good and I've been pleased with the sound.  I just got a Burson Conductor-Virtuoso and immediately noticed a more full and detailed sound.  I'm not sure if the Burson is just a better match for the T5p's or if this is scaling up.

Aug 23, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #734 of 1,956
Hey! Does anyone both have the t5p 2nd gen and the audeze el8 (2016) or ti?

I've listened to the Beyer for a longer time in a hifi-shop, but I'm concerned about the reported isolation and leakage. I really liked the soundstage and excellent seperation.

How does the Audeze compare? Unfortunately I could just demo it in a loud Apple Store, but it isolated quite well. On the brief listen, I've found the soundstage to be smaller and also the highs could be more harsh at times, but that may also be due to high volume setting I needed to use ..

Which one do you prefer and why?
As I could them for nearly the same price I'm torn between these two.
I tried the dt1770 too, but prefered t5p.

I mainly listen to well produced electronic and Indie Rock music, some classic. I currently own a PSB m4u2 and meizu pro 5 with sabre ess9018k2m but may upgrade to a dedicated device later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back